Heysel: In Memoriam (4 Viewers)

veritas19

Oct 3, 2009
I may not be the most popular juventus fan here (and probably rightly so) due to the fact that I love both Juventus and Liverpool (My first ever jersey was a Del Piero's Juventus, and thus the affinity with the Bianconeri while my neighbourhood n community has strong support for Liverpool). Football seems pure at that time and I did not know about the Heysel tragedy when I supported them, until I was a little bit older. It's was painful to know that the 2 clubs you loved as a kid were involved in something so horrendous and disgusting. 39 innocent Juventus fans including women and children killed in the tragedy must must never be forgotten. I hope Liverpool FC will issue a public apology for the incident and do more to show their remorse of what the fans did in Heysel. There is no doubt that the hooligan fans are to take up the most blame for the tragedy for their atrocious actions towards the juve fans. But at the same time, I also hope that there is a lessening of animosity between the two clubs as the current, younger Liverpool tifosi are no longer connected to the horrible hooligan supporters in the 70's and 80's, and most of them now were extremely shameful and angry of what the hooligans did at Heysel and they hope for a reconciliation between the two prestigious European clubs in the future. That is also what I wish for.

In Memoria e Amicizia.

39, Never Forgotten.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Kenny Dalglish:

"These Juventus fans felt that Liverpool were responsible for the deaths of their friends. How could we be? We had been the ones warning UEFA and the Belgians. It was our supporters who had been attacked the previous year by Italians and were determined not to be ambushed again."

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Kenny Dalglish:

"These Juventus fans felt that Liverpool were responsible for the deaths of their friends. How could we be? We had been the ones warning UEFA and the Belgians. It was our supporters who had been attacked the previous year by Italians and were determined not to be ambushed again."
Well then, from his words, one can assume they were out for revenge.

Good job, Kenny. You're a murderer just like the lot of 'em.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Especially with the "How could we?" bit.

"The Juventus fans were using themselves as human shields, so while their deaths are a tragedy, they were their own doing."

Kenny's alias is Mark Regev, FYI.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I don't agree with that, with what was said by Kenny. We should take responsibility as a club for the actions of the supporters back then.

However, UEFA and Belgian authorities should take some of the blame in their inability to prevent the inevitable. After the actions in Rome the year before it was naive to assume English fans wouldn't be seeking revenge given the hooligan culture of the time.

That's the point I do agree with.

veritas19

Oct 3, 2009
I don't agree with that, with what was said by Kenny. We should take responsibility as a club for the actions of the supporters back then.

However, UEFA and Belgian authorities should take some of the blame in their inability to prevent the inevitable. After the actions in Rome the year before it was naive to assume English fans wouldn't be seeking revenge given the hooligan culture of the time.

That's the point I do agree with.
Even as a fellow Liverpool fan, I gotta say we have to take most of the blame for the incident. I have watched quite a few documentaries on Heysel, and yes, the stadium was pretty horrendous and the Belgian authorities were practically non-existent. However, the actions by some of the liverpool fans on that day were the trigger for the tragedy. For Hillsborough, we will always fight for our innocence and justice for the 96. However for Heysel, we have to admit our mistakes and show sympathy to the juve faithful.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Even as a fellow Liverpool fan, I gotta say we have to take most of the blame for the incident. I have watched quite a few documentaries on Heysel, and yes, the stadium was pretty horrendous and the Belgian authorities were practically non-existent. However, the actions by some of the liverpool fans on that day were the trigger for the tragedy. For Hillsborough, we will always fight for our innocence and justice for the 96. However for Heysel, we have to admit our mistakes and show sympathy to the juve faithful.
I agree.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The Hillsborough disaster was insane. I've watched all the real-time footage I could on the subject, along with every doc I could find. RIP to the victims of that tragedy as well.

veritas19

Oct 3, 2009
So the Liverpool fans who forced their way in without tickets and contributed to the overcrowding had nothing at all to do with the problems at Hillsborough?
I believe there will definitely be fans of every club throughout the world that may try to enter a stadium without tickets, but Hillsborough can be totally prevented if the authorities have made the right decisions inside (the pens were already full, why still open it for 5000 people to go in? Only they will know that it was full) and outside (where were the necessary traffic controls, including the checking of tickets?) the stadium.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I believe there will definitely be fans of every club throughout the world that may try to enter a stadium without tickets, but Hillsborough can be totally prevented if the authorities have made the right decisions inside (the pens were already full, why still open it for 5000 people to go in? Only they will know that it was full) and outside (where were the necessary traffic controls, including the checking of tickets?) the stadium.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I don't see why Liverpool fans who charged at Heysel are portrayed as murderous animals, while little or no blame is attached to those at Hillsborough who went in without tickets.

In both cases the authorities failed in their duties, but that doesn't change that a major factor in both cases were the inappropriate actions of the Liverpool fans.

Oh, and the 'fans of lots of teams do it' argument doesn't stack up. Pretty much any English clubs' fans would have charged Juve at Heysel, but that doesn't make it okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)