Heysel: In Memoriam (1 Viewer)

David01

Aug 20, 2006
I was there at the time, I was only 9 or so and I went with my dad
we knew something was going on but never did we suspect what tragedy occured on the other side of the stadium
only years later did I realise what had happened and since that day I became a hardcore Juve-fan
a day I will never forget

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
I don't know why it matters to you which football disaster is the most 'touching' in scenarios where people died when they shouldn't have.
Because some disasters are more of a tragical than others. Simple as that.
Liverpool fans weren't trying to kill Juve fans.

It was just an unfortunate sequence of events that resulted in tragedy.

You clearly either don't have sufficient understanding of what happened and what football was like then or you are deliberating choosing to view it in a certain way which is extremely biased against Liverpool.
At approximately 7 p.m. local time, an hour before kick-off, the trouble started.[6] The Liverpool and Juventus supporters in sections Y and Z stood merely yards apart. The boundary between the two was marked by temporary chain link fencing and a central thinly-policed no-man's land.[7] Missiles began to be thrown across the divide. Fans could pick up stones from the terraces beneath them.

As kick-off approached, the throwing became more intense. A group of Liverpool fans charged across the terraces, through and over the wire fence into section Z causing the Juventus fans to retreat. Having no way out, the Juventus fans moved towards the side perimeter wall, near to the corner flag. Some tried to climb over the wall to escape. Many escaped, however the wall could not withstand the force of the fleeing Juventus supporters and collapsed.

It was at this point that the majority of the deaths occurred — 39 people died, and a further 600 were injured.[7][8] Bodies were carried away on sections of iron fencing and laid in piles outside, covered with giant football flags. As police and medical helicopters flew in, the down-draught blew away the modest coverings
Yeah, I understood this wrong. Even the English justice system got it wrong when they prosecuted a dozen of Liverpool's hooligans with manslaughter. And I really can't see how the hell should the way football was at that time, justify a crime. But hey, that's just me.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
How is the first post in the thread pathetic? Should Heysel not be remembered?
Blondu was objecting on bianco calling what Rab suggested doing, pathetic. So he asked him to take a look at the 1st post of this thread to realize it's not pathetic of Rab to think the way he did.

Or so I think he meant :shifty:
you thought well jbf :)...

I've read it, and I guess he was being sarcastic/ironic/......ic?

So I retract my deformation of character.
him who?

Sep 1, 2002
you thought well jbf :)...

him who?
I thought you were affronted by my calling someone pathetic, or was I mistaken?

I read the first post which suggested that we have a certain decorum on these pages, which I felt that person had neglected, and so I told him that in no uncertain tones.

Was I wrong to do so?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What the kiddies might not appreciate today is that the European Cup (Champions League) went through a reverse of the Coppa Italia. It used to be this cute pastime for clubs to have fun on the side between their grueling domestic championships and cups.

Then TV revenue blew that all up, and now the CL is the big cheese and domestic cups are the friendly jokes. Back then, the Champions League had about the same prestige as today's Europa League.

Sep 1, 2002
What the kiddies might not appreciate today is that the European Cup (Champions League) went through a reverse of the Coppa Italia. It used to be this cute pastime for clubs to have fun on the side between their grueling domestic championships and cups.

Then TV revenue blew that all up, and now the CL is the big cheese and domestic cups are the friendly jokes. Back then, the Champions League had about the same prestige as today's Europa League.

That's not true.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well I respectfully disagree then. The Europa Cup was nice, but it always took a back seat to domestic competition.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Because some disasters are more of a tragical than others. Simple as that.

Yeah, I understood this wrong. Even the English justice system got it wrong when they prosecuted a dozen of Liverpool's hooligans with manslaughter. And I really can't see how the hell should the way football was at that time, justify a crime. But hey, that's just me.
'Running', as that was known (charging at opposition fans to try and take their part of the ground) was a pretty normal thing to do in England back than and was basically seen as a bit of harmless fun.

The problem occurred because the Juve fans didn't understand what was going on and because the stadium was in poor condition.

I'm not going to say that what the Liverpool fans did wasn't wrong, but it was just unfortunate the way things went.

What I don't understand is why it is always Liverpool that get blamed for the accident and not the state of the stadium.

It wasn't really Liverpool who were to blame; it was the whole culture of English football that was at fault, which is why UEFA banned all English teams for several years and not just Liverpool.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Harmless fun is only harmless in retrospect, an action itself can be reprehensible regardless of it's societal status.

Physically intimidating children et al is a scumbag thing to do even if they aren't intended to be targets.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Harmless fun is only harmless in retrospect, an action itself can be reprehensible regardless of it's societal status.

Physically intimidating children et al is a scumbag thing to do even if they aren't intended to be targets.
That is why I say that the whole culture of English football was largely responsible for the incident.

Something like that could just as easily have happened of Juve were playing Man Utd, Arsenal or any other English team.

Jan 3, 2010

That is quite simply not true, swag.

'Running', as that was known (charging at opposition fans to try and take their part of the ground) was a pretty normal thing to do in England back than and was basically seen as a bit of harmless fun.

The problem occurred because the Juve fans didn't understand what was going on and because the stadium was in poor condition.

I'm not going to say that what the Liverpool fans did wasn't wrong, but it was just unfortunate the way things went.

What I don't understand is why it is always Liverpool that get blamed for the accident and not the state of the stadium.

It wasn't really Liverpool who were to blame; it was the whole culture of English football that was at fault, which is why UEFA banned all English teams for several years and not just Liverpool.
I think most of the blame was on the Belgians here. The stadium was in very poor condition and the Belgian police forces were not up to the task. The English football culture at the time might not have been the best, but the Italian ultrà were hardly any better. And the Belgians should have known.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006

Both Liverpool and the stadium gets the blame but naturally when it's about murder the stadium isn't the one to point the finger at. And I agree completely with Uefa's reaction the same way I agree with what the English justice system did to those convicted with manslaughter.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I think most of the blame was on the Belgians here. The stadium was in very poor condition and the Belgian police forces were not up to the task. The English football culture at the time might not have been the best, but the Italian ultrà were hardly any better. And the Belgians should have known.
True.

The communication between the Belgian and English police forces apparently was almost non-existent.

One phone call between the forces would have been enough for the Belgians to be made aware that the Liverpool fans would be likely to engage in some 'running' and the English could have expained how to deal with it.

As is always the case with these accidents, in the aftermath in becomes apparent that any number of things could have been done to prevent the incident.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)