Henry to stay at Arsenal (it appears) (1 Viewer)

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
Aug 12, 2005
Following Wednesday's Champions League final, Thierry Henry is ready to put pen to paper on a deal with Arsenal.

Henry is set to end months of speculation over his future and see out his career with Arsenal, by signing a new contract, inspired by their Champions League final display.

His contract runs out at the end of next season, and he had been linked with a move to Wednesday's opponents and Champions League winners Barcelona.

"I hope to stay as long as I can keep running. I couldn't leave the fans. They're like family," Henry told The Sun to scotch the speculation.

“Everything was up in the air for a very long time. But at the end of the day, the team raised their game.

"Don’t get me wrong. I love Barcelona. But on Wednesday Arsenal showed they had heart.

“After we lost on Wednesday, I went over to our fans and clapped them and they clapped me.

"I hope to finalise all the details today."

The news will come as a huge relief to Gunners worldwide, as they get ready for a new era in their new stadium.

Done deal, it appears

Buy on AliExpress.com

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
From Reuters:

MADRID, May 19 (Reuters) - Barcelona president Joan Laporta has praised Thierry Henry's decision to pledge his future to Arsenal instead of moving to the European and Spanish champions.

"He is free to decide what he wants to do, and his decision says a lot about him as a person," Laporta told a news conference on Friday.

"He was excited about the idea of coming here but he feels he owes something to the Arsenal fans. He could be an example for every player."

The France striker had been linked with a move to Barcelona throughout the season but decided on Friday to sign a new four-year contract with the north London club.

Two days ago Arsenal lost 2-1 to Barcelona in the Champions League final in Paris.

Can't help feeling Laporta must be a little disappointed he cannot emulate Florentino Perez yet and his 'Galactico' policy as this is what the Henry project was about. Furthermore, once Henry's post match comments got back to him I wonder if there will be a chat to Rijkaard and the management team regarding their winning tactics. All these thing make Barca 'ugly' and while this exists they will always be seen as behind Real.

But we all know where Florentino Perez took Barca so what's the harm?

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Holdon said:
No if's about about it. It's all official and he annouced it at a press conference.
For how long? One more season so Arsenal can sell him at full value? The precedent with Wenger is that he sells players where possible for optimum value. Will Henry be an exception?

Henry was pretty sluggish in shrugging off 'lack of ambition' remarks today in the media conference. I don't see him ending his career at Arsenal as he has come out and said.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
wow.....I was almost positive he would leave, cheers to henry. But i still think he was a cry baby in the Champsion league final :cry:

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I would have stayed too. I hate arsenal with a passion but imagine his position, captain, idolsied by all the fans, the only world class player in your team (one man army) etc.. its brilliant

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
i really think its his loss, he will stay at arsenal who have less chances of winning the league and the CL. While Barca r going to win some titles until the end of henry's career.

also he will only be a great premiership player, he will not prove his critics wrong when it comes to going to a different environment and league

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I would not blame him if he decided to make a move for Barcelona. However, does Rijkaard even need such a player? Eto'o, Henry, Messi, and Ronaldinho would be a little difficult to fit all in the same eleven, but I'm sure it could be done.

Thread moved to it's rightful spot in Misc Soccer, by the way. I wish there was a valid reason to have a thread about Henry in our player talk section...other than how we let Wenger take him, of course.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
m_elayyan said:
barca dont need henry , but henry needs barca , he will be sorry for that decision
He has made his mind up so I don't think he will be sorry at all

It's better to be "mr. Arsenal" than just a player at Barcelona

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Jem83 said:
He has made his mind up so I don't think he will be sorry at all

It's better to be "mr. Arsenal" than just a player at Barcelona
if you looked at it this way ok but he will not be ever the world best player in Arsenal :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)