Help Me with My Public Speaking? (1 Viewer)

OP
sallyinzaghi
Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #30
    Bah, I'm not going to London :sob:

I did my football speech really well though (surprisingly one of the judges went on to tell me bout how Uruguay was great and won 2 world cups), but I fukked up my impromptu speech, badly.

I HATE IMPROMPTU SPEECHES!! :fero: :fero:

oh well, I'm underaged to join that competition in the first place anyway :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    What's an impromptu speach? Never heard that word before :undecide:

Shame you didn't do too well but you got quite far in the first place right?! :strong:

OP
    sallyinzaghi
    Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #32
    Impromptu speech is like ... Spontaneous speech. They gave me a topic - "communication" - and 5 minutes to prepare. usually, I could think of many things, but when it comes to spontaneity - everytime - and I mean EVERYTIME, my mind will somehow be blocked (I think it's due to panic). So I went on stage, talked bout history of communication though I don't know whadafok it is, and then changed the subject to handphones diminishing genuine communication (bad decision), and, to summarize it, I fukked up the whole thing.

But I liked my football speech alot. :D Even if I didn't win, at least I preached bout football :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    Impromptu speech is like ... Spontaneous speech. They gave me a topic - "communication" - and 5 minutes to prepare. usually, I could think of many things, but when it comes to spontaneity - everytime - and I mean EVERYTIME, my mind will somehow be blocked (I think it's due to panic). So I went on stage, talked bout history of communication though I don't know whadafok it is, and then changed the subject to handphones diminishing genuine communication (bad decision), and, to summarize it, I fukked up the whole thing.
    Oh those! In Dutch we call them (literally translated) impulse speech. I love those, I can always come up with utter crap on the spot. Of course if you're up against someone really smart you'll get slaughtered but that's the risk of the business :D

But I liked my football speech alot. :D Even if I didn't win, at least I preached bout football :D
    :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    What's an impromptu speach? Never heard that word before :undecide:
    im·promp·tu

1. Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.

2. Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation; extemporaneous: a few impromptu remarks

Courtesy of DICTIONARY.COM :p:geek: (to those who missed the relevant conversation, ignore me)

++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    I can always come up with utter crap on the spot.
    16844 times and counting :D:p

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    im·promp·tu

1. Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.

2. Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation; extemporaneous: a few impromptu remarks

Courtesy of DICTIONARY.COM :p:geek: (to those who missed the relevant conversation, ignore me)
    :lazy:

16844 times and counting :D:p
    :rofl::LOL::D

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    Way to go, Sally :thumb: Sorry it didn't go too good for you, but yeah good preaching :D

OP
    sallyinzaghi
    Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #39
    :LOL: Erik that sounded so funny in a way .. impulse speech :LOL:

You should be thankful you could speak on the spot! I usually stutter, run out of ideas.

Here's a view on how my impromptu speech went:

"Good afternoon. Today I will be speaking on the history of communication.During the paleolitic times, communication was based only on gestures. Coming on to the mesolitic times, these gestures became more, uh, [silently] whatthefukk was that word again.."

Judge : "pronounced?"

"Ah yes, pronounced. heh heh (panic stricken because a judge just helped me with my speech, which is bad). And then, when it came to the neolitic times, communication became more advanced with writings that tells a story. For example, the Egyptians used.. Shit what was it again ... Hieroglif or pictograph writings? Uh, anyway, which is still used today by the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese. So, anyway ...

"You know what I think I'm gonna talk about why handphones have not diminished genuine communication. So anyway ... "

See how bad it was? :sob:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)