Halfway point: Rewind. (1 Viewer)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
We’ve reached the halfway point of the season, and I’m glad to say that we are pretty much alive and kicking in every competition.

Our place in the Coppa’s semis though looks in danger after our defeat against Perugia last week, but the Coppa is our least priority and we can still pull back a win with our reserves.

In Serie A it’s a different story, we’ve had great performances like the famous win against AC Milan 2-1 at the Delle Alpi, the 4-0 derby win, the thrashing of Reggina 5-0 and the recent 4-1 win against Chievo in Verona. But we also lost two matches up-until this point, the 1-2 reverse against Lazio and the shock 0-2 defeat against Baggio’s Brescia. We are currently placed in the fourth position, 4 points adrift of leaders AC Milan. Our players scored 30 goals in 17 matches and conceded only 13. Buffon kept a clean sheet in 7 Serie A matches.

In the Champions League we topped our group with 13 points in the first phase, in a group that included Newcastle Utd, Feyenoord, and Dynamo. In the second phase, we’ve played 2 matches, winning one (4-0 against Basel) and drawing one (2-2 against Depor). We are in the second place with four points, two behind leaders Man Utd.

Players:

• - Buffon continued with were he left off last season with his great saves commanding role in defence. His famous yelling at the ref and hitting the ground after V. Hooijdonk scored from a free-kick is still remembered.

- L. Thuram is playing his best football with Juve. Breathtaking performances and an unforgettable goal against AC Milan topped off with a great goal celebration.

- P. Montero had a relatively good season up until this season, but skipped some games through injury.

- C. Ferrara played more games than expected due to injuries to other players. But the 35 year old didn’t disappoint.

- G. Zambrotta missed the first part of the season due to injury but returned back to find Camoranesi in his favourite right position in midfield. Lippi found him a new position, left-back, in which he is trying to adapt.

- Camoranesi is undoubtly the surprise of the season. Juve bought him to replace Zambrotta and he never let them down. Great performances with dribbles and nice shots. He has been in the scoresheet already twice this season, in the Champions League against Dynamo and in the Serie A against Perugia, scoring the only goal after coming in as a substitute.

- A. Conte was injured at the start of the season, but returned to the fold with glowing performances. He scored a goal against Reggina and Lippi is putting a lot of faith in him.

- A. Tacchinardi proved his critics wrong and let his football do the talking. He played infront of the defenders and started nearly all of Juve’s attacks and at the same time blocking all efforts of the opposing team. Unfortunately, Alessio got injured at the peak of his form.

- E. Davids proved that Juve were right not to sell him to Roma and played consistent football throughout the season. Clearly one of the players in which Lippi’s formations and plans are built around.

- P. Nedved is holding a commanding role in Juve’s squad. Many believe he has returned to his old self after his poor performances in the first matches with Juve last season. Pavel is a key player to Lippi and features in nearly all games.

- A. Del Piero is vastly improving after his injury. His dazzling runs and free-kicks have helped him score 11 Serie A goals, 4 Champions League goals and countless assists to his teammates this season.

- D. Trezeguet proved his worth after coming from injury by scoring 4 goals in 2 games. Juve clearly missed him when he was injured!!

- M. Di Vaio was signed at the last day of the calciomercato and was supposed to replace the injured Trezeguet. But to his own standards, the speedy striker could’ve done better. Marco scored 3 goals in Serie A and 4 goals in the Champions League.

- M. Salas. The Chilean striker looks to have lost his touch after his nasty knee injury. Very poor performances lead to rumours stating that he will be shown the exit door in Juve. Lippi denies that and keeps his faith on the player. Salas scored one goal in Serie A against Udinese that gave Juve an important 3 points.

What do you think of Juve's objectives and performances to this point?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    No, its ok .. I just thought you meant it was hard to read or something :)

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    A complete mess ?? Wait until we win the treble :strong:

No seriously, every team goes through rough patches throughout the season .. But I think we can win the Scudetto (again) and the Champions League :stuckup:

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
    Great thread dpforever!:thumb:

I very much agree with what you said, although in Serie A I don't think we have done that well. It's true we are now in fourth place, with some great performances against Milan, Torino, Reggina and Chievo, but let's not forget that we have lost twice, and have drawn or won several matches with lucky last-minute goals. If we are to repeat winning Lo Scudetto, we can't go on like this. We have to win confidently, not luckily.

In Champions League, on the other hand, we're doing extreamly well and I'm confident we can reach the quarterfinals. Milan and Inter may be donig very well, but I think we are the strongest Italian team.:cool:

In Coppa we have to improve, or we could again suffer a defeat. Let's hope Lippi knows what he's doing(I'm sure he is).

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
    Ok, maybe they are doing a bit better. After all, they won 4-0 against Depor while we only managed 2-2.:(

But I hope this will change. Milan won't be able to keep up the good results forever, and that's when we come in...:D

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    Agreed. I envy Milan for their consistency.
    ever heard of the saying:the higher you climb,the harder you fall?:D

unfortunately,the is also the saying:reach for the stars and land amongst the clouds.:down:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Great analysis Fahad but I have to disagree on two occassions namely:
    - A. Conte was injured at the start of the season, but returned to the fold with glowing performances. He scored a goal against Reggina and Lippi is putting a lot of faith in him.
    Conte has been struggling for form unless maybe in the last 2 games.

- A. Tacchinardi proved his critics wrong and let his football do the talking. He played infront of the defenders and started nearly all of Juve’s attacks and at the same time blocking all efforts of the opposing team. Unfortunately, Alessio got injured at the peak of his form.
    Apart from that screeching beauty (goal) - He has been very disappointing just picking up yellow cards all over the place.

I like the idea you portray of Davide Baiocco not even existing on our team ;)

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    About Tacchi I knew this would be coming. He always seems to get harsh critisicm no matter what. Maybe it's because of the position he plays in, but everytime I've seen him play I was satisfied, and some reporters acknowledged that, believing that Tacchi has finally returned to his top form.

As for Davide Baiocco, I'm disappointed with Lippi since he asked for him. He can't defend, attack, tackle, nor pass .. he's just useless.

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    Agreed. I envy Milan for their consistency.
    Milan are only consistent in Europe, but not in Serie A. They are just lucky, they've played many games inwhich the opponent deserved more but Milan were lucky to win the points. The match against Parma comes to mind, for example!

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I think Tacchi has lost the plot. Just check if he was present in all our high scoring matches.

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    Well, he was present in these matches:

Juventus - Atalanta (3-0)
    Torino - Juventus (0-4)
    Juventus - Basel (4-0) - even scored one of the goals.
    Juventus - Dynamo (5-0)
    Chievo - Juventus (1-4) - late substitute

That's pretty much most of our high scoring matches ;)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by paulo ] ++
    Ok, maybe they are doing a bit better. After all, they won 4-0 against Depor while we only managed 2-2.:(

But I hope this will change. Milan won't be able to keep up the good results forever, and that's when we come in...:D
    Football doesn't work liike this paulo. Milan may have beaten Depor 4-0 where we only managed to get a draw,but Milan lost to Chievo in the Bentagodi while we ran out worthy winners.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    Well, he was present in these matches:

Juventus - Atalanta (3-0)
    Torino - Juventus (0-4)
    Juventus - Basel (4-0) - even scored one of the goals.
    Juventus - Dynamo (5-0)
    Chievo - Juventus (1-4) - late substitute

That's pretty much most of our high scoring matches ;)
    Damn this Tacchi thing must be a personal vendetta then ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)