Half-Life 2 Source Code Leaked!!! (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
This happened a while ago, but I thought some gamers here would have something to say...

------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that the noise around Half-Life 2 will not stop. This time however, it is extremely unlikely that the story is some publicity stunt since the possible reprecussions to Valve and to Half-Life 2 itself are enormous.

It has now been confirmed by Valve that Half-Life 2 source code has been stolen and released via Bittorrent and possibly EDonkey. According to sources, the code released stands at over 100 MB, unpacked and is reported to contain source code for Team Fortress 2.
The first confirmation of the story came from Gabe Newell himself, posting on the HalfLife2.net forums. According to Mr. Newell, Valve had experienced Denial of Service attacks in the past but his time specially made trojans were used.
According to Mr. Newell a ...customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve, was used.

Valve, through Gabe Newell, have launched an appeal to get gamers to help them trace the source of the leak and how it is being distributed. All those who can help should contact
[email protected]

It is too soon to contemplate the effect of the leak on H-L 2's release date, or even to speculate on whether this leak was the reason for the delay. It is however, certain, by the size of the source code leaked, that all it will create is trouble for gamers through the development of cheats.

There are also rumours that a working build of the game has also been stolen from Valve and that it is possible that it may become available, through P2P soon.

Valve have not yet decided what they will do about the leak and if they will attempt to trace people who download it. It is likely that much will depend on the response they get to their request for help.

Here is Gabe Newell's full email, as posted on the HalfLife2.net forums:

Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, [email protected]. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

second article

There seem to be many twists and bends in the continuing H-L 2 saga. While Valve claim that only one third of the code was stolen, even after the release of a, barely, playable Half-Life 2 beta version, rumours are starting to spread that a pre-Gold release of the game and its full source code may be released tomorrow. According to HalfLife2.net forums and to a variety of H-L 2 fan sites the thief has spoken and this is what he said about the beta and Valve's response:

To everyone saying this is no Beta: I'd like to point out that THIS is what you wanted Valve to release on 9/30/03, theres no such thing as a much better release in Valves network!
I suggested to Valve to stop lying to their customers about how much was stolen. However, they disregarded my statement and called me a liar. Now they will see how much I have been lying when I release the Pre-Gold and all 100 per cent of the sourcecode. Actions speak louder then words.

Anonymous Leaker

The authenticity of this Anonymous Leaker cannot, of course, be verified until tomorrow and even then, only if the threats materialize.

If this is the real leak and he does carry out his threat then tomorrow could be the day that the final nail is hammered into Valve's and H-L 2's, already pounded, coffin.

Gamers can only hope that he is not for real or that he thinks about the reprecussions of his actions and does not carry out his threat.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Compile the code and have a complete working version of the game!!! Well, not a complete working version, but they have the most important part, the game engine. It's like a car ...if a company's making a new car, and someone steals everything under the hood, then the rest of it becomes useless, because the part that everyone wants to know about is already out in the public...

The source code is everything, any programmer will tell you that. Having the source code also makes it much easier to make cheats for the game, since you can understand the mechanics and processes of the game. Many modifications and cheats/patches/cracks will also be much easier to make. This in effect puts the company (Valve) out of business with regards to this particular game, which (if not for this event) would have brought them all the money they need for the rest of their lives, such was the hype surrounding this game due to the success of the first game.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Indeed it's not news anymore, Graham :p I read that the cause for their downfall was using Outlook for email, someone sent a trojan or something and hacked their way in. That's why you should never use Outlook or Internet Explorer, kids ;)

But on point.. I don't think it really matters that much that the code is out, not to the gamers anyway. It's not like the hardcore gamers of ages 13-16 will even know how to compile the source, it's a little more complicated than that. And it's not the final version either. But if I worked for Valve, I'd be a little concerned that the source is out there with regards to competing companies. If Half life is actually any good and we all know what they did with it, we'll start copying to improve our own games, won't we?

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Indeed it's not news anymore, Graham :p I read that the cause for their downfall was using Outlook for email, someone sent a trojan or something and hacked their way in. That's why you should never use Outlook or Internet Explorer, kids ;)
    Errmm did u read it above? :p I don't use IE, but i must admit I use Outlook...

But on point.. I don't think it really matters that much that the code is out, not to the gamers anyway. It's not like the hardcore gamers of ages 13-16 will even know how to compile the source, it's a little more complicated than that. And it's not the final version either. But if I worked for Valve, I'd be a little concerned that the source is out there with regards to competing companies. If Half life is actually any good and we all know what they did with it, we'll start copying to improve our own games, won't we?
    I guess so. So maybe it's just better for the gamers, since the quality of games will improve, but this is def. not good for Valve. Poor guys...

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Hey poor valve guys.....

It must be fokin annoying to lost months or work and money-..just for a stupid guy.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    i mean dont u have anything good to say about them??? (no :p)
    Of the money they extort from people, they make huge contributions to charity :)

++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
    martin do u use linux?? cos an anti microsoft must use at least sum of their products
    Actually I use Windows most of the time, I'm still learning linux and I'm not productive enough to use it for everything plus there is some software (not Microsoft's ;)) that's just not up to standard.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Well it wouldn't make much sense for me to criticize chosen Microsoft products in detail if I had never seen them, now would it? Just the fact that I use some of them doesn't make them ingenious, it reflects upon my lack of choice really.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
    Hey poor valve guys.....

It must be fokin annoying to lost months or work and money-..just for a stupid guy.
    months!? Try 5 years!

This game has been in development for ages, and as such, VALVe's product lineup has been a bit reduced compared to what they could have achieved. Here's VALVe's previous games before Half-Life 2:

Half-Life

:D

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    but even if someone who knows how to compile the source code gets it,wouldn't it be against copyright laws to produce the game for sale?(not to mention the theft of intellectual property)

i can't see this getting very far.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    but even if someone who knows how to compile the source code gets it,wouldn't it be against copyright laws to produce the game for sale?(not to mention the theft of intellectual property)

i can't see this getting very far.
    Valve aren't worried about people selling a version of their game under a different label, I think they're more worried about people having free copies, and as i've mentioned before, this would probably make the game easier to cheat/crack etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)