hacker proof my ass (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Linux Declared 'Hacker Proof'

March 30, 2008 10:51 a.m. EST

Jupiter Kalambakal - AHN News Writer

Vancouver, British Columbia (AHN)-- The Linux running on a Sony Vaio remained undefeated at the end of a three-way computer hacking challenge Friday at the CanSecWest conference.

Sponsors had wagered three laptops to anyone who could hack into one of the systems and run their own software. A $20,000 cash prize sweetened the deal.

The MacBook Air went first; Independent Security Evaluators' Charlie Miller took the Mac after about two minutes work on Thursday. Miller took home $10,000, courtesy of 3Com's TippingPoint division, in addition to the new laptop.

After two days of work, Shane Macaulay finally cracked the tiny Fujitsu laptop running Vista on Friday, with a little help from his friends.

Macaulay said the flaw he exploited was a cross-platform bug that took advantage of Java to circumvent Vista's security.Macaulay said he chose to work on Vista because he had done contract work for Microsoft in the past and was more familiar with its products.

TippingPoint Manager Terri Forslof said several attendees tried to crack the Linux box, but nobody could pull it off. She noted that some had found bugs in the Linux operating system but many of them didn't want to put the work into developing the exploit code that would be required to win the contest.

===

So it wasn't 'hacker proof', the hackers were just lazy :rolleyes:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4
    They no longer pit XP in these tests because they're sick of XP, they've been testing it since 2001. :D

Marko

GhostDog
    May 1, 2006
    They no longer pit XP in these tests because they're sick of XP, they've been testing it since 2001. :D
    They don't know a thing!:lol: XP is very well patched & M$ will keep supporting it until 2014!
    And to be honest, I don't remember when was the last time I installed XP or restored image of C:\!:toast:

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

TBPH, since I've tampered with a lot of Linux distros and overall expanded my knowledge of OS's, I must say XP is not that bad of an OS. I think I haven't formatted my installation for over 2 years and I don't think I've ever got a BSOD, perhaps once in a lifetime. When you give it to your average joe, of course he's gonna screw everything up pretty soon, since he has the freedom to install or delete anything, but if you're just a semi-power user, it's perfectly fine.

Linux is great, I love testing it and using it, but the lack of support is starting to annoy me even more than all XP's problems all together. I have a new ATI video card(HD 3870) and..gash, I hate ATI. Getting surround is another pain, better to say it's impossible.

Still I hate MS but I don't like dissing XP too much, every once in a while, when it's acting incredibly stupid, is fine. :D

Marko

GhostDog
    May 1, 2006
    Like it or not, XP is the best OS for home users, and Linux would be much better if there is not so many distros.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)