Gym and fitness (24 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
What vegetables are you talking about, man? Iceberg lettuce? Celery? Some vegetables are very good, low calorie filler. Others have insanely high nutritional value.

Kale is considered a superfood for a reason. A medium 67 gram serving of Kale contains 206% of your daily vitamin A daily value. 134% of vitamin C. 684% of Vitamin K. 5% Thiamin. 5% Riboflavin. 3% Niacin. 9% B6. 5% Folate. 1% Pantothenic acid. 9% of calcium. 6% of iron. 6% magnesium. 4% Phosphorus. 9% Potassium. 2% Zinc. 10% Copper. 26% Manganese. 1 gram of dietary fibre, and 2 grams of protein... (of course daily recommended % of things like Vitamin C and Vitamin K is still low imo, so those percentages are somewhat inflated, regardless, it packs a punch)

What about the above says "no nutrition value" to you? I'm confused.
When i'm talking about nutrition value, i'm sort off refering to their caloric value actually. Meaning the amount of carbs, fat and protein translating into a number of kcal.

The reason i dont factor in minerals and vitamins is simple. First, you want to cover all your fat/carb/protein and in general caloric needs. Then you take a look at the minerals and vitamins to see what you got to add.

Thanks to the high amounts of clean dairy products, alot of the minerals and vitamins are allready covered. Chicken breast(noon) and alternating between red meat/fish/poultry(lowfat), combined with oats and pasta or rice or potatoes, topped off with 2 fruits, nearly everything is covered.

THis is why i put so much attention to the caloric foods. Your calories are priority 1. When you got those, you'll be allready stacking up on minerals/vitamins. After that you take a look of what you are lacking.

If i take my diet as an example, on my training days i dont eat vegetables.
On my off days i'm lower on dairy products so at the evening i eat my red meat/fish with savoy or spinache or red cabbage or Kale (if the misses prepares it). And tomatoes usually, wich is technically a fruit.
In the weekends when she has more time, she usually makes something with leek or parsly or celery, wich i love, to be eating with cod or tuna.

But in honesty, yeah, i should say caloric value" and not nutrition value.

And i'll say something else too, so people dont get the right idea.

Unless you have calculated everything in your diet like i did, eat vegetables, cause you'll need them. But be critical of what vegetable you eat

Zach, I am hitting the breaks on 5x5 after two months and I am finding it extremely difficult to raise my current numbers (specially squat and overhead and to lesser degree bench), any suggestions?
Sorry i've missed that post. Looking at the picture i'd say your physique is looking very good, very well balanced, nice traps.

Considering your weight, i'd say your chest and arms are doing pretty well on the strength.

Your deadlift and squat are lacking. Is it possible to film the movement ? i'd need to see your form to give pointers on what to improve

You say you run 5x5. There are several versions however. Can you tell me what days you do what excercise and how you build up the weight ?

Cheers :beer:

- - - Updated - - -

So many veggies have great nutritional value. Salad maybe not so much but squash, potatoes, eggplants, cauliflower, carrots, and so on.

Yeah you can survive without em if you take vitamins but theyre far from useless.
i'm using potatoes as a "carb source" in my book. Pretty important in my diet aswel.

I dont know if i can make a proper strenghtsports diet without vegetables and without potatoes

Buy on AliExpress.com
Dec 26, 2004
When i'm talking about nutrition value, i'm sort off refering to their caloric value actually. Meaning the amount of carbs, fat and protein translating into a number of kcal.

The reason i dont factor in minerals and vitamins is simple. First, you want to cover all your fat/carb/protein and in general caloric needs. Then you take a look at the minerals and vitamins to see what you got to add.

Thanks to the high amounts of clean dairy products, alot of the minerals and vitamins are allready covered. Chicken breast(noon) and alternating between red meat/fish/poultry(lowfat), combined with oats and pasta or rice or potatoes, topped off with 2 fruits, nearly everything is covered.

THis is why i put so much attention to the caloric foods. Your calories are priority 1. When you got those, you'll be allready stacking up on minerals/vitamins. After that you take a look of what you are lacking.

If i take my diet as an example, on my training days i dont eat vegetables.
On my off days i'm lower on dairy products so at the evening i eat my red meat/fish with savoy or spinache or red cabbage or Kale (if the misses prepares it). And tomatoes usually, wich is technically a fruit.
In the weekends when she has more time, she usually makes something with leek or parsly or celery, wich i love, to be eating with cod or tuna.

But in honesty, yeah, i should say caloric value" and not nutrition value.

And i'll say something else too, so people dont get the right idea.

Unless you have calculated everything in your diet like i did, eat vegetables, cause you'll need them. But be critical of what vegetable you eat

Sorry i've missed that post. Looking at the picture i'd say your physique is looking very good, very well balanced, nice traps.

Considering your weight, i'd say your chest and arms are doing pretty well on the strength.

Your deadlift and squat are lacking. Is it possible to film the movement ? i'd need to see your form to give pointers on what to improve

You say you run 5x5. There are several versions however. Can you tell me what days you do what excercise and how you build up the weight ?

Cheers :beer:

- - - Updated - - -

i'm using potatoes as a "carb source" in my book. Pretty important in my diet aswel.

I dont know if i can make a proper strenghtsports diet without vegetables and without potatoes
Thanks for response dude, I am doing squat, bench and row. one high rep set of 12-15 and another five sets of 5 reps, between sets I do abs or cardio. My off day is squash, boxing, running or HIIT then the next day squat, overhead and deadlift in a similar sets and reps.

As I don't have 1.25kgs in my gym I had to make 5kg steps. So I am letting the same weight for two consecutive workouts then I raise by 5kg.

The main issue here is that I am feeling that my body is hitting the limit and I am finding it hard to keep the same pace.

Ill film the next time I do squat and deadlift, your help is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Seriously, you should only eat pills if necessary.
I fully agree.

There is no healthy way a strength or musclebuilding athlete can get to his vitamin C requirements, or realistic way to get to his required dosage of magnesium+zinc+piridoxine.

Thing is, they are there to make sure.

- - - Updated - - -

If veggies weren't necessary, God wouldn't had put them on earth.
its amazing how i explain with a very specific diet, there is a possibility to make vegetables optional

And you read all that, and the several times i say exactly that and then comment that i said "they arent neccecary".

Are you trolling, or that retarded ? Serious question

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
I fully agree.

There is no healthy way a strength or musclebuilding athlete can get to his vitamin C requirements, or realistic way to get to his required dosage of magnesium+zinc+piridoxine.

Thing is, they are there to make sure.

- - - Updated - - -

its amazing how i explain with a very specific diet, there is a possibility to make vegetables optional

And you read all that, and the several times i say exactly that and then comment that i said "they arent neccecary".

Are you trolling, or that retarded ? Serious question
Just trolling :p but not even trolling you. I was actually mocking God believers.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Thanks for response dude, I am doing squat, bench and row. one high rep set of 12-15 and another five sets of 5 reps, between sets I do abs or cardio. My off day is squash, boxing, running or HIIT then the next day squat, overhead and deadlift in a similar sets and reps.

As I don't have 1.25kgs in my gym I had to make 5kg steps. So I am letting the same weight for two consecutive workouts then I raise by 5kg.

The main issue here is that I am feeling that my body is hitting the limit and I am finding it hard to keep the same pace.

Ill film the next time I do squat and deadlift, your help is much appreciated.

Cheers!
5x5 schedules are good starter to intermediate schedules for strength and mass. The workvolume isnt that high, but its not neccecary as you'll get enough hormonal stimulation, while at the same time the core isnt overloaded.
Now, the thing is you cant do these schedules linearly, cause the volume is to low. You need to work it in waves. For this reason i find the bill star intermediate the best version of 5x5 around.

How it works

Monday & fryday : squat, bench, rows.
wednesday : light squats, military press or overheads or snatch, and deadlift.

But this schedule, works with fixed progression. here is how it works

Monday you'll just do the 5x5.
fryday,the first 4 sets are the same, so you start 4x5. The 5th set you'll do 3 reps instead of 5, but increase the weight with 2.5% compared to your 5th set on monday. After that you repeat the third set but with 8 reps now.

On wednesday you'll do the first 3 sets of squat like monday, and then repeat the third set. then do 4x5 for overheads and deadlifts.

How does it progress ?

If you succesfully manage the 5th set on monday and fryday, you'll increase the weight for the next week with 2.5%.
if you succesfully do the deadlift and overheads, increase weight with 2.5% for next week.

Deload

This schedule runs 6 weeks, the 5th week you take the weeks of the 4th week again and start from there. This makes sure if you hit your wall, that you go back to weights you could complete.

But zach this 2.5% shit is a bit complex

Agreed, it is. I made you an excell file so you can check it out
I converted it to 97-03 so you can run it on every excell you'll find.

How to start the excell

Bill star works with alot of percentages. the 5th set is calculated depending on your 5repmax. the other sets are a percentage of the 5th set. Everything is calculated for you however. All you need to do is fill in your maximums, and update the reps you could manage

First, fill in the maximum you could pull at "test weight" and then how much reps you did.

The schedule now calculates your weights for the next 18 weeks in ideal situation where you succeed every week. Thats why these "5" and "3" are there in bold.
After each training, you need to fill in wether you could do the required amount of sets, so that the schedule can alter itself when you missed the reps, and repeat same weights next week instead of increasing.

If you have any questions about the schedule, feel free to ask

- - - Updated - - -

Just trolling :p but not even trolling you. I was actually mocking God believers.
Man i've heard so much god statements the past day, damn politics messes with the head !

Attachments

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Genesis 1:29

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.

Genesis 9:3

"Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything."

:spliff:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Have we had this conversation about bee pollen on the forum before?

- - - Updated - - -

Because there's no such thing as bee pollen.

Dec 26, 2004
5x5 schedules are good starter to intermediate schedules for strength and mass. The workvolume isnt that high, but its not neccecary as you'll get enough hormonal stimulation, while at the same time the core isnt overloaded.
Now, the thing is you cant do these schedules linearly, cause the volume is to low. You need to work it in waves. For this reason i find the bill star intermediate the best version of 5x5 around.

How it works

Monday & fryday : squat, bench, rows.
wednesday : light squats, military press or overheads or snatch, and deadlift.

But this schedule, works with fixed progression. here is how it works

Monday you'll just do the 5x5.
fryday,the first 4 sets are the same, so you start 4x5. The 5th set you'll do 3 reps instead of 5, but increase the weight with 2.5% compared to your 5th set on monday. After that you repeat the third set but with 8 reps now.

On wednesday you'll do the first 3 sets of squat like monday, and then repeat the third set. then do 4x5 for overheads and deadlifts.

How does it progress ?

If you succesfully manage the 5th set on monday and fryday, you'll increase the weight for the next week with 2.5%.
if you succesfully do the deadlift and overheads, increase weight with 2.5% for next week.

Deload

This schedule runs 6 weeks, the 5th week you take the weeks of the 4th week again and start from there. This makes sure if you hit your wall, that you go back to weights you could complete.

But zach this 2.5% $#@! is a bit complex

Agreed, it is. I made you an excell file so you can check it out
I converted it to 97-03 so you can run it on every excell you'll find.

How to start the excell

Bill star works with alot of percentages. the 5th set is calculated depending on your 5repmax. the other sets are a percentage of the 5th set. Everything is calculated for you however. All you need to do is fill in your maximums, and update the reps you could manage

First, fill in the maximum you could pull at "test weight" and then how much reps you did.

The schedule now calculates your weights for the next 18 weeks in ideal situation where you succeed every week. Thats why these "5" and "3" are there in bold.
After each training, you need to fill in wether you could do the required amount of sets, so that the schedule can alter itself when you missed the reps, and repeat same weights next week instead of increasing.

If you have any questions about the schedule, feel free to ask

- - - Updated - - -

Man i've heard so much god statements the past day, damn politics messes with the head !
Thanks bro, I will start following this routine starting from next week. Do you recommend starting from my maximum 5x5 weights or shall I reduce a lil bit to build up some form?

I have filmed reps from today workout. I did 80KG squat 5x5, 50KG overhead 5x5 and 80KG deadlift:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
How can you not fall down from the annoying itch
Come on man, you never practised ignoring itches before? It's good willpower practise, not that you probably need it.

Even talking about itches makes you itch.

Speaking of kale, does anybody else eat cavolo nero? They grow it here now so it's easy to get hold of. Speaking of veg I usually grow half of what I eat in the middle part of the year, either side of that I'll buy in lots of broccoli, spinach, rocket, beans, kale, cabbage, root veg and also miniature potato varieties, even if I don't eat lots of potato (I don't really eat fries[US]/chips[UK] at all).

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Come on man, you never practised ignoring itches before? It's good willpower practise, not that you probably need it.

Even talking about itches makes you itch.

Speaking of kale, does anybody else eat cavolo nero? They grow it here now so it's easy to get hold of. Speaking of veg I usually grow half of what I eat in the middle part of the year, either side of that I'll buy in lots of broccoli, spinach, rocket, beans, kale, cabbage, root veg and also miniature potato varieties, even if I don't eat lots of potato (I don't really eat fries[US]/chips[UK] at all).
Cavolo Nero is also called Black Kale and Tuscan Kale if I'm not mistaken? And black cabbage for that matter... I grew it this past summer. I really like it. It's got a bit better flavour than regular green kale. I use it to make it kale chips. Green kale is mostly smoothie fodder for me. That's pretty cool that you grow that much in terms of a percentage of what you eat. I manage to get about a third of what I eat. I need to expand my garden and set up some kind of soaker hose, or drip watering system so it's not so time consuming.

- - - Updated - - -

How can you not fall down from the annoying itch
The stuff here doesn't seem to itch all that much... More so, a sharp series of pin-prick like stabs all over the exposed areas. a bunch of little red dots appear on the skin too. It certainly gets the heart rate going.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Thanks bro, I will start following this routine starting from next week. Do you recommend starting from my maximum 5x5 weights or shall I reduce a lil bit to build up some form?

I have filmed reps from today workout. I did 80KG squat 5x5, 50KG overhead 5x5 and 80KG deadlift:

The bill star schedule will do that for you. Your first 3 weeks are lighter to get that form going

- Do you have a squatrack or powerrack in your gym ? Because you are putting huge strain on your back muscles to unrack and rerack the weight like that.
- You are doing some sort of box squat but with touch and go afterwards, and pretty high aswel. Dont use that bench, try to squat down so your hips are lower then the knees and back up. Push your butt back and force your knees out to get proper depth.
The next video is a pretty handy example to go by

- Overheads are good

- You are doing a stiff legged deadlift. Meaning you will limit yourself cause you are only using the spinal erectors. You need to keep a hollow back, but sit down deeper without putting shoulders or knees over the bar, and push your butt out. Also try to grab it more narrow.
Good example of a solid conventional technique without rounding the back is eric lilliebridge. Watch how the uses his legs and back

- Bench is good. Altho you could try "tucking the ellbows a bit inside" by pretending to "bend the bar", so they automatically come smaller

JUVEMAN1211

Jun 22, 2011
@DelpieroForLife take off the pussy pads on the bar. You're a man, dude. And if you take them off and don't like how they feel, get over it and grow a pair. That is the first step you need to take before you start lifting weights. On a more serious note, Zach is right. You need a power rack. Use one if your gym has one available. Also, you need to go lower on your squats, you're only going about 45 degrees down when you sit on the bench because I am assuming you aren't a midget. For Over head press, like Zach said, keep your elbows in, but other than that your depth is good. Make sure you squeeze your ass and point your dick out forward when you do it so you don't put a lot of straight on your lower back. Make sure your forearms are perpendicular with to the bar, as well. For deadlifts, you're form is really off. You need to bend at the hips more and utilize your hamstrings. Make sure you keep your back completely straight. Go to YouTube and watch Allan Thralls videos about how to lift and emulate the form he teaches and uses. For bench, like Zach mentioned, keep your elbows in. For example, if you kept your elbows straight up so that you're making a 'T' when you bench, which would be keeping your arms at 90 degrees. Change that and make sure its more like 45 degrees instead and pretend to bend the bar.

Good luck and don't be a pussy. You can do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)