Gym and fitness (16 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Do you guys ever get golfer/tennis elbow? I think i've got it in my left arm, i'll be fine during work outs apart from curls and in between work outs it gets sore. What do you guys do to stop it? I've read that i need to rest it completely but does that just mean no curls or nothing that involves my elbow? I don't want to lose weeks of work on my back/chest/shoulders.
Had it in my left arm most of this week, but it's gradually faded.

BTW, has anybody who has their own weights come across bar diameters/plate holes that are neither 1" (standard) or 2" (Olympic)? I have a set of York spinlock dumbbells which I went to add standard 1" (25.4mm) plates to and the bar is considerably bigger, more like 28-29mm, so obviously they don't fit.

JUVEMAN1211

Jun 22, 2011
Starting 5x5 stronglift tomorrow. Need to shuffle my training programme up a bit as it is getting repetitive.
Strong lift is really good. I enjoyed it and I gained a lot of muscle doing it as well. The only problem is that the programs feels a little lite on the exercises it has you do. Look into Ice Cream fitness. Its the same as SL but it adds in a few more exercises that touch on some muscles that SL doesn't. Make sure you eat a lot in order to see some dramatic increases in strength. And SL starts off really easy and you'll be tempted to put on more weight but DON'T. Follow the guide exactly and with the light weight, try and get your form down perfect because my week 6-7, the routine starts to get really tough. Don't quit either. You will see changes if you continue on it.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Nice. Big Numbers. Hope you get there.

You're right about the pinched nerve. Most people mistake a pinched ulnar nerve by the elbow for tennis elbow.

My workouts involve a lot of hand balancing work and wrist--elbow--shoulder joint stress, so I do a good 15 minutes of conditioning beforehand on those 3 joints, especially the wrists as all those sort of injuries seem to radiate from there.

- - - Updated - - -

:tup: on the numbers going up. That's always good to see.
Are you using hookgrip ?

Goddamn painfull to pull off.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Strong lift is really good. I enjoyed it and I gained a lot of muscle doing it as well. The only problem is that the programs feels a little lite on the exercises it has you do. Look into Ice Cream fitness. Its the same as SL but it adds in a few more exercises that touch on some muscles that SL doesn't. Make sure you eat a lot in order to see some dramatic increases in strength. And SL starts off really easy and you'll be tempted to put on more weight but DON'T. Follow the guide exactly and with the light weight, try and get your form down perfect because my week 6-7, the routine starts to get really tough. Don't quit either. You will see changes if you continue on it.
The guide I found only has like 3,5kg on each side of the olympic bar in week one. Wtf.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add my abb workout to it and jump rope after to keep the calorie burn up tho.

JUVEMAN1211

Jun 22, 2011
The guide I found only has like 3,5kg on each side of the olympic bar in week one. Wtf.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add my abb workout to it and jump rope after to keep the calorie burn up tho.
Trust me dude, you only want to add those 3.5kg (I assume that is 2.5lbs) on each side each week because later on in the program 2.5lbs feels like 10 pounds. This is the biggest complaint people have for this program that it starts you off really low. Its meant to be easy because its meant for you to get your form right so you do the exercises correctly. I thought adding 2.5lbs each week was annoying and a waste but I'm glad I stuck with it because, man, does it get tough. Doing 225lbs x 25 gets to you eventually, trust me.

Ab exercises are good accessory. Add in some body weight dips and some skull crushers, and you will have a good overall routine, in my opinion.

Just follow the damn program to the T and you will have results. If you skip weight, you will plateau faster and you won't see strength increases as fast. And make sure you eat at a caloric intake higher than your maintenance. For my macros I usually go 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carbs.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Oh i can explain that low start, cause there is a very good reason to start low

5x5 is a full compound schedule. It means you train the entire body each time. Because of this you can only do them 3x/week if you really press ahead, cause you need a recovery day.

TO become stronger, your body needs to learn how to work togheter. Tendon and muscles that connect different groups must get stronger, the neural system must improve coordination under increasing stress, muscle explosiveness must increase, mechanics must increase..

You allways start on the low side on these schedules, because you can fully focus on the movements, your body adapts to the training type.
2 weeks in your muscles should be fully adapted
3 weeks in you should start to feel improvement

and the 4th week is basically your previous max allready, meaning week 5 and 6 are about improving.
Starting lower means you have alot of progression ahead of you, wich is one of the core mechanics of these schedules

I'm currently doing an ed coan deadlift routine. My deadlift is at 275 kg and i got a projected in training max of 290 and on comp max of 300.

First of 10 weeks ended with 2*220kg. And i am fucking happy for that, because it means i could focus alot on good form and movement and feel you got loads of progress left in the tank. 2 weeks from tomorrow i'm supposed to pull 2x260, wich might be a huge grind.

When you have run these schedules for a few times, you'll learn to appreciate "starting low"

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Had it in my left arm most of this week, but it's gradually faded.

BTW, has anybody who has their own weights come across bar diameters/plate holes that are neither 1" (standard) or 2" (Olympic)? I have a set of York spinlock dumbbells which I went to add standard 1" (25.4mm) plates to and the bar is considerably bigger, more like 28-29mm, so obviously they don't fit.
Did you just power through? I'm just back from the gym and my elbow is sore and doing chest, shoulders and triceps. Using deep freeze to stop the inflamation, might get an elbow support tomorrow to see if it helps.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Some scumbag stole the little 1.25 weights at the gym.

gets increasingly annoying when you have a linear progression schedule to follow, with preset weights. Rounding off with a 2.5kg margain is fine (161 becomes 160 and 162 and 163 becomes 162.5, whilst 164 becomes 165), but cause they are gone, need to round off with 5 kg.

Now people might think thats just silly, but i can assure you, the difference between benching 120 kg for reps, or 125kg for reps, is ALOT when its 85% of your max.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Did you just power through? I'm just back from the gym and my elbow is sore and doing chest, shoulders and triceps. Using deep freeze to stop the inflamation, might get an elbow support tomorrow to see if it helps.
Do some wrist conditioning/stretching. It will help immensely with any sort of tennis elbow/minor pinched nerve problem. It also works as a preventative measure.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using hookgrip ?

Goddamn painfull to pull off.
Hook grip felt awful for the first few months I used it, I even managed to bruise my thumbs behind the nails. I'm pretty happy with it now, aside from with heavy, heavy clean pulls. Anything over 160kg feels pretty brutal.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I basically rested it for a couple of days until it died down, still felt a few early twinges last night doing reps but it went and no problems today.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I basically rested it for a couple of days until it died down, still felt a few early twinges last night doing reps but it went and no problems today.
I just did back today, left my biceps to rest to avoid putting pressure on and it feels a lot better than yesterday, I guess I'll rest it tomorrow too and just do.chest stuff. :tup:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Excruciating workout today.

Had done 4sets of 9*160squat and 10sets of 3*120kg bench yesterday, slept like 3 houres, had to wake up at 7am and be on the road and buzy all day

Todays training :

5sets 7*170 squat
6 sets 6*110 benchpress
8 sets 3*185 deadlift
1 set 2*235 deadlift

this chair i'm sitting in, is awesome, and i'm not leaving that any time soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)