Gym and fitness (11 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Do you guys lift to failure every single workout?

I work out 3 times a week and I feel that I'm going to failure too often. Meaning that I lift weights that are heavy enough so as to leave my muscles completely spent after I've done my 3 sets of reps. Is this always the best technique, or would it be wise to only do that, say, once a week, and then lower the weights a tiny bit on the other two days and not lift to failure on those days? (I work out the same musclegroups twice a week).

Also, sometimes I even go beyond failure by utilizing dropsets after I've done all of my sets for a particular musclegroup. I know that this technique can be beneficial, but how much is it ok to do this? Is there a limit? I'm concerned that my body will get too used to the dropset technique and that it would want me to do dropsets every single time in order to make gains (if I do it too much).
Well I always try to do reps until I can't do any more, so I guess that counts as lifting to failure. Just make sure you get at least 8 reps on your first two sets and if you do max on your last one you could do a drop set afterwards with a much lower weight.

How many reps are you cranking out?

You might also not wanna work out the same muscles twice a week. That could be oerdoing it. Once a week is enough afaik.

- - - Updated - - -

When I go the gym, it's Cardio for 30 minutes with intervals, then I do an endurance work out.
I don't miss cardio :p

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Are you good at motivating, like Mourinho? I have some bad attitude issues that need to be worked on.
I think I was, but over the past 6 months I've been a hell to handle, I had like an aura of negativity and de-motivation. But now when I work on the bars my motivation is higher, gym killed me a bit.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
How many reps are you cranking out?
8-10

You might also not wanna work out the same muscles twice a week. That could be oerdoing it. Once a week is enough afaik.
Yeah, in the beginning I only worked them once a week, but I saw some youtube vids and got convinced that switching to twice a week after awhile can be very beneficial. But the condition for it to be beneficial of course is getting enough rest/sleep and having a great diet to go with it for fast recuperation. Also started taking creatine, which seems to help me recover much faster than before.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Sounds like you're good then, try eating and resting more. I hate it when I go to the gym and I'm so tired I feel like I can only do half the shit I usually do. :D

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Haha yeah, that sucks :D

But that's not really my problem, so my bad, I probably didn't make myself clear. It's not that I feel tired or sore or stuff like that, I just wanted to know if going to failure every single time is the most optimal way to go for GAINZ

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
Sounds like you're good then, try eating and resting more. I hate it when I go to the gym and I'm so tired I feel like I can only do half the shit I usually do. :D
That's why it can be nice to warm up by doing cardio.

The trick with Cardio is not to feel forced to do it, just go to the gym to do your work out, if you feel like doing it do it, otherwise don't.

It's my formula!

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Just did some free weights for the first time in a few weeks, arms and abs really. I need to kick myself up the ass a bit to do it through the 9 months of wind and rain, but motivation is all around me right now.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
That's why it can be nice to warm up by doing cardio.

The trick with Cardio is not to feel forced to do it, just go to the gym to do your work out, if you feel like doing it do it, otherwise don't.

It's my formula!
Sometimes I chill in the sauna :D

Haha yeah, that sucks :D

But that's not really my problem, so my bad, I probably didn't make myself clear. It's not that I feel tired or sore or stuff like that, I just wanted to know if going to failure every single time is the most optimal way to go for GAINZ
Probably, I don't see why that wouldn't be the case. Ask @Zacheryah and see what he thinks

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I think yes.

Maybe not as much as powerlifters when they look like a banana, but you should be able to put your hand below your back without a problem.
a bro told me 'arched', bro

so that's how I do it :D

But I would definitely be interested in hearing some more thoughts on that, cause I have no fucking idea :boh:
:lol:

A random guy pointed out to me today that he noticed that I arch my back a bit since I have tall feet and the bench is a bit low, so he thinks that I arch it more than normal. He said that I will feel a lot of stress on my lower back this way, but I feel absolutely nothing there. It's all chest.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Benchpress = arched back or not?

Shoot.
Arch makes an easier lift, I'm not sure of the physical reasons for it as I'm no expert. I always considered it a bit of a cheat, if you are lifting heavy and comparing weights. You must be bringing extra muscle group(s) into play to spread the load, which suggests you are losing out if you are trying to target. @Zacheryah could probably advise better.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Arch makes an easier lift, I'm not sure of the physical reasons for it as I'm no expert. I always considered it a bit of a cheat, if you are lifting heavy and comparing weights. You must be bringing extra muscle group(s) into play to spread the load, which suggests you are losing out if you are trying to target. @Zacheryah could probably advise better.
Yeah, makes sense.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Yeah.

Well, not much at this point. :D I'm a beginner, so I only do pull ups, chin ups and dips. I can do plenty, but not any of that sort like hand-standing and shit.
Hand standing is amazing in every possible meaning of the word. We have a dedicated day for handstanding every Wednesday and we sneak in some every now and then on other days. Any kind of inversion is great but the handstand is king.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Hand standing is amazing in every possible meaning of the word. We have a dedicated day for handstanding every Wednesday and we sneak in some every now and then on other days. Any kind of inversion is great but the handstand is king.
:agree: I will try to work on it a bit.

:lol:

A random guy pointed out to me today that he noticed that I arch my back a bit since I have tall feet and the bench is a bit low, so he thinks that I arch it more than normal. He said that I will feel a lot of stress on my lower back this way, but I feel absolutely nothing there. It's all chest.
Arched back makes your chest work more, but more importantly, your shoulders don't get as much stress with is great (majority of injuries).

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
This is a concidence, i just got back from training, and was working on single rep benchpress in preparation of the powerlifting meet i'm competing at the 27th.

The reason very high weight benchpressers arch their back, is range of motion. In a competitive meet, you will have to drop the weight till it touches your chest, then pauze, then press out. An arched back, reduces the distance the bar has to drop.

But arching is the least of your concent, if you arent doing pauzed reps.

To start off, the most important is the position of the shoulders, and the inner pressure.

Arching a back helps that last one a bit aswel. SImply lie flat on the bench, put your feet down the ground.grab the bar with your hands and lift your ass of the bench. then push your ass closer to your shoulders with your legs. You will arch, but you will also be alot more locked in.
Next, kick your legs under the bench, and try to find a position, in wich you can put pressure on the legs towards your shoulders.
THAT, is the key of the positionning.

Next, shoulders. You should grip wide enough, for me its ring finger on the rings.(but i'm 1m91 w long arms). When you push out the weight from the rack, try to press your back into the bench. Your BACK muscles should be moving the weight, like you are doing a pulldown. Meanwile, keep shoulders tight, like you want to squeeze a can of soda when placed between shoulderblades.

Now, when lowering the weight move your head into your chest, lifting it off the bench a bit. WIth your hands, try to bend the bar. Because of this, the ellbows will move inwards. THIS IS VERY CRITICAL. if your ellbows are sticking out, you put huge stress on the rotator cuffs, wich is the most commen injury. I had that twice before i trained at a decent gym.
Lower the weight till your chest. Try to keep pressing shoulders into the bench with your legs, keep that pressure on.
When your weight hits the chest, push out, trying to pull the bar apart to the sides. your ellbows will go out now, wich will help the movement of the bench. Mean time, whilst the head was tucked in while decending, when pushing the bar back up, move your head back onto the bench, this helps the first 10 cm when leaving the bar from the chest.

- - - Updated - - -

Having said that, still looking for someone with experience in endurance events, or sport events in general that lasted over 3 houres

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)