Gym and fitness (130 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
On my schedule they've given me I have four days which breaks down as:

Chest and triceps
Back and biceps
Shoulders
Legs

I've already moved it to Shoulders and Legs. What they seem to be suggesting I do is

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Cardio
Day 3: Back
Day 4: Cario
Day 5: Legs and Shoulders.

I'd prefer to do

Day 1: Chest + interval training
Day 2: Back + interval training
Day 3: Chest + interval training
Day 4: Back + interval training
Day 5: Shoulders and legs + interval training

Is that a good mix? Its monday - friday with sat rest and sunday abs at home.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah, plus it allows you to work your muscles twice a week. I read up on this program called PHAT. It's pull-push and does both strength and hypertrophy.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Aka squats and deadlifts
Torso and core stabilisation is done, for the squat and deadlift, not by it, untill you are at an advanced stage in lifting.

Doing it the opposite way around is wrong and ends you up with hernia's

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, plus it allows you to work your muscles twice a week. I read up on this program called PHAT. It's pull-push and does both strength and hypertrophy.
It doesnt do strenght, its a mass builder for fitness athletes in more early parts of their progress

strenght int done over 6 reps

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Torso and core stabilisation is done, for the squat and deadlift, not by it, untill you are at an advanced stage in lifting.

Doing it the opposite way around is wrong and ends you up with hernia's

- - - Updated - - -

It doesnt do strenght, its a mass builder for fitness athletes in more early parts of their progress

strenght int done over 6 reps
This is a bit of a fallacy for the beginner to average lifter. The 1-6 rep range that is ideal for strength gains will also contribute to hypertrophy in all but advanced lifters/bodybuilders, and the 6-12 rep range will also give advances in max strength for all but advanced lifters/bodybuilders. Especially when combined with adequate caloric intake. Now, 1-6 is certainly not ideal for hypertrophy, and for someone who is further along in that regard already, it won't do anything, and likewise for 6-12 improving maximal strength, but for the average gym goer who is nowhere near their genetic potential in either regard, anywhere from the 3-10 rep range will provide gains in both strength and hypertrophy, until they start coming much closer to maximizing their genetic potential.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Anyone that uses calorie counting apps, do you guys add the exercises in there? It wants you to put the amount of reps and sets for everything and that seems kinda overkill to me. Cardio ok, I'll do that but I'm assuming strength training shouldn't be an issue. I'll just eat a little more or something.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
This is a bit of a fallacy for the beginner to average lifter. The 1-6 rep range that is ideal for strength gains will also contribute to hypertrophy in all but advanced lifters/bodybuilders, and the 6-12 rep range will also give advances in max strength for all but advanced lifters/bodybuilders. Especially when combined with adequate caloric intake. Now, 1-6 is certainly not ideal for hypertrophy, and for someone who is further along in that regard already, it won't do anything, and likewise for 6-12 improving maximal strength, but for the average gym goer who is nowhere near their genetic potential in either regard, anywhere from the 3-10 rep range will provide gains in both strength and hypertrophy, until they start coming much closer to maximizing their genetic potential.
i meant to say "strenght isnt done over 6 reps". Over 6 reps is building mass by hypertrophy, but thats low density mass

For strenght one needs to switch 6 reps and 1->3 reps. 6reps, with very high percentagemax builds the high density mass, and branching tissue, whilst going very hard on that muscle glycogen.
Because you take short brakes between the 6 reps, the body tires and the neural system believes its a higher weight and strengtens, you force effective use of the muscle.

For tendon strenght, ligament strenght and neural strenght, you then do the 1 to 3 rep weeks.

Summary : strenght is switching between 6reps with 2min breaks untill imminent muscle failure for high density muscles and branching across musclegroups at one side
and 3 to 1 reps with lots of dropoff sets for tendons, ligaments and neural system

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone that uses calorie counting apps, do you guys add the exercises in there? It wants you to put the amount of reps and sets for everything and that seems kinda overkill to me. Cardio ok, I'll do that but I'm assuming strength training shouldn't be an issue. I'll just eat a little more or something.
look for calculators online that calculate your weights needed calories to sustain,depending on the lifestyle you put in.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I'm using myfitnesspal. I just started using it today but it calculates how many calories I need every day to gain half a pound a week. It subtracts calories used when you workout but I'm assuming lifting shouldn't make a big difference.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I'm using myfitnesspal. I just started using it today but it calculates how many calories I need every day to gain half a pound a week. It subtracts calories used when you workout but I'm assuming lifting shouldn't make a big difference.
Best app ever.

Used it to lose ~20 kg last year. Amazing app. Will actually be losing it again to ade about 10kg I've packed on over the past year lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 124)