Gym and fitness (151 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Joined a new gym, I like it because it doesn't smell of farts and stale sweat.
Also I don't fear for my life anymore given that there are no steroid heads or pikeys :)
Roiders and Pikeys arent that bad tbh. Roiders are like alcoholics with a different drug, both low determination.

My gym is filled with steroid heads but they're cool from what I can tell.

It's the circuit freaks that I don't like. Bitches taking up the squat rack so they can do pushups, like wtf.
Yeah exactly. The posers and mir'n bro's. usually jacked up with at best cafeine and at worst amphetamines

I only go to my local commercial Gym during the early hours.

Can't really fiddle with biceps curlers on the bench or girls squatting with an empty bar in the squat rack.
Ah man, girls squatting with an empty bad has so many hidden upsides. Its a nice sight, and they use that powerrack for 5 minutes at most :)

I don't really go to the gym anymore. Mostly rock climb and surf and do some handstand work to stay in shape.
Thats odd. We had some climber guy who tried powerlifting for a year who quit and has returned to climbing aswel

Your name isnt coincidentally Yarric and you arent planning on losing 20kg of muscle to be a better climber

Hot girls and heavy lifting is not a good idea. We all know what happens. You wanna impress dem girls. So you start benching heavy and then:

During The Big 3 one should has focus for the bar alone.
However, there is some hot innocent chick in our gym that once decided to do lunges (stationarry, not walking), straight ahead of my when i was doing dumbel rows , and when she decended to pick up the dumbells, she nearly hit my face with her booty and i noticed she was wearing a thong, wich i didnt quite expected from her.
Despite that dumbel weighing 60kg, i nearly dislocated my shoulder.

I had to be saved from a failed bench press last week
You say like thats a bad thing. If you push your body, wether its an RPE schedule or lineair progression or w/e, if you dont have failure in benchpress every now and again, you arent pushing it hard enough.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
True that, but i tought this was easyer to comprehend, cause there are various versions of the split squat

Like the Bulgarian one, my nemesis when combined in superset with lunges and very short pauzes

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Thats odd. We had some climber guy who tried powerlifting for a year who quit and has returned to climbing aswel

Your name isnt coincidentally Yarric and you arent planning on losing 20kg of muscle to be a better climber
:lol:

That would be amusing. Not Yarric. The name is Ben.

I lost about 5kg over 6 months when I first stopped doing the power lifts. And I've maintained that ever since. I'm 1.79m and 75kg now.

I still O-lift quite regularly, as I find it allows me to keep my legs strong, and my transference of power from the legs through the posterior chain good. Jumping can rather important in climbing at times. Especially bouldering. And I need my legs strong for surfing bigger waves as well.

If I lost another 5-10kg, I'd probably be able to make the move into the very upper echelon of climbing, difficulty wise, but I can't bring myself to be that skinny. I'd rather train harder at a higher weight, and hopefully I'll develop enough muscular strength and power to overcome the disadvantage of weight with regards to climbing often being a finger tendon strength dominant sport.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
On my back/bicep day they have me doing a shit load of pull ups as my first exercise. I hate using the assistance, they set me on a 12k counter weight and I find it weird. If I do the reps without the counter weight I can do 8-10 for the first two/three but when I come to do the fourth I can only manage 5. That's with both positions they have me doing. Would you guys recommend I just keep going with the assistance or use the assistance to make the rep count on all of them?

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Fuck that, don't use the assistance period. That's already a pretty decent number. You might as well start wearing weights instead. 3 sets should be enough also, no need to do a fourth.

Or maybe just make your grip wider to work your lats more.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Fuck that, don't use the assistance period. That's already a pretty decent number. You might as well start wearing weights instead. 3 sets should be enough also, no need to do a fourth.

Or maybe just make your grip wider to work your lats more.
I currently do a bicep grip first which is four and then the narrowest lat grip three times.

I did pill ups at home but it was a flat bar so I guess it was easier. When I used the assistance in the induction I was lifting myself off it and then it was hitting my knees, weird concept!

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah, I don't like the assistance. If you're able to do pullups on your own, then I don't think it's useful. Just do lat pulldowns later during your workout to work your back as much as possible. Also like Zach has said, don't worry too much about biceps. You work them out enough doing back exercises and you can always do curls at the end of your workout to get em to pop out more.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Yeah, I don't like the assistance. If you're able to do pullups on your own, then I don't think it's useful. Just do lat pulldowns later during your workout to work your back as much as possible. Also like Zach has said, don't worry too much about biceps. You work them out enough doing back exercises and you can always do curls at the end of your workout to get em to pop out more.
I do pull ups, lat pull downs, barbell shrugs, back extensions and then bicep, hammer and barbell curls. I'm on this for a month and then moving to more free weights apparently.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Ok, so you'll change it up then. Sounds like a good enough routine to begin with. The most important thing is to keep improving.

The free weights will be more fun.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Ok, so you'll change it up then. Sounds like a good enough routine to begin with. The most important thing is to keep improving.

The free weights will be more fun.
It's the reason I joined the gym, I ran out if stuff to do at home after 7 months, I'm fairly consistent with upping weights etc.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
:lol:
That would be amusing. Not Yarric. The name is Ben.
I lost about 5kg over 6 months when I first stopped doing the power lifts. And I've maintained that ever since. I'm 1.79m and 75kg now.
I still O-lift quite regularly, as I find it allows me to keep my legs strong, and my transference of power from the legs through the posterior chain good. Jumping can rather important in climbing at times. Especially bouldering. And I need my legs strong for surfing bigger waves as well.
If I lost another 5-10kg, I'd probably be able to make the move into the very upper echelon of climbing, difficulty wise, but I can't bring myself to be that skinny. I'd rather train harder at a higher weight, and hopefully I'll develop enough muscular strength and power to overcome the disadvantage of weight with regards to climbing often being a finger tendon strength dominant sport.
Some good progress right there :tup:

Those tendons is the deal right. The guy we had thas is now going back to climbing, weights 90kg. But training powerlifting has improved his tendon strengt to such a degree that "he can support his weight with his left hand in a weak grip, and only his right finger in a good one" He wants to drop back to 70kg since tendon strenght barely decreases.

Training for tendon strenght is key, cause muscles have their own weight :tongue:

Yeah, i've got a 44cm diameter on my bicep, and barely train them. At most i spend 8 minutes doing 5 sets of curls. But i use them in all those compounds i do, wich made it grow rather well

mukumsplau

Jul 9, 2008
Well I have graduated from just walking to running some now. I dropped 12 pounds so far. I have a few more to go though but slacked off the running a bit last week. And yes I am Trini and I have been seriously craving a chicken roti all day. Damn this lifestyle change. :cry: It is worth it though seeing that clothes that were previously too tight are now big on me.

Btw I am going to FINALLY join a gym next week since I officially have no more school. Toned up body here I come! I don't know how well I'd work with a group though. I am a bit of an exercise loner...
girl, roti is one of those things that when u hear the word u just need to have it...

ok that settles it...buying one tomorrow

but yea the lifestyle change is worth it...and dont look at it from simply a 'losing weight' perspective...moving up in ur levels of fitness causes adaptations in ur body that translates into immense health benefits...plus it opens up more dimensions to your life that may have been previously locked..activities, people etc

make sure the instructor in the gym is certified because the majority arent...just make sure to feed your new lifestyle change...alot of people get lazy with nutrition and satisfied with only cutting out stuff (kfc, doubles, roti :depressed , etc etc) but u would ascend to a whole new level if u seek out and eat the right things to fuel performance...

join a group girl oh gorm? lot of positive social aspect to exercsising as well...you meet rel cool humble ppl...

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Some good progress right there :tup:

Those tendons is the deal right. The guy we had thas is now going back to climbing, weights 90kg. But training powerlifting has improved his tendon strengt to such a degree that "he can support his weight with his left hand in a weak grip, and only his right finger in a good one" He wants to drop back to 70kg since tendon strenght barely decreases.

Training for tendon strenght is key, cause muscles have their own weight :tongue:

Yeah, i've got a 44cm diameter on my bicep, and barely train them. At most i spend 8 minutes doing 5 sets of curls. But i use them in all those compounds i do, wich made it grow rather well
What measurements Are good? I'm a complete noob at this, I measured my arm at its bulkiest when tenses and it was 38cm but my arms look small to me. Where are you meant to.measurw? Other people have spoken about measuring and I've not known where to.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
What measurements Are good? I'm a complete noob at this, I measured my arm at its bulkiest when tenses and it was 38cm but my arms look small to me. Where are you meant to.measurw? Other people have spoken about measuring and I've not known where to.
I know arms are measured on the biggest diameter on top of the biceps. But it doesnt tell much. you should incorporate fat percentage and relative size compared to shoulder and triceps (what competing bodybuilders do).

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Zach, you said (if I remember correctly) that it's a waste to do lifts that isolate the biceps. What sort of lifts should be done then that work biceps and what other muscles would it be a waste to isolate? I've heard triceps from someone else, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
No, triceps are important.

The main things I would say to concentrate on are back, chest, legs, shoulders. Triceps are worked when you do chest and sometimes shoulders but they actually make your arms look bigger so its's not a bad idea to exercise them.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
No, triceps are important.

The main things I would say to concentrate on are back, chest, legs, shoulders. Triceps are worked when you do chest and sometimes shoulders but they actually make your arms look bigger so its's not a bad idea to exercise them.
That sounds like my plan - chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders, and legs. Been told I can do.legs and shoulders together if I want.

Thanks for the advice Zach. I've been keeping a photo journal to track changes, will probably still with that.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Zach, you said (if I remember correctly) that it's a waste to do lifts that isolate the biceps. What sort of lifts should be done then that work biceps and what other muscles would it be a waste to isolate? I've heard triceps from someone else, but I'm not sure if I believe that.
This depends on what your goals are.

If you are a powerlifter, its not really neccecary. You are doing so many compounds that they'll get trained secondarely all the time, and grow, and we dont care about definition. But most other powerlifters i know and myself take 10 minutes per week to do some bicep curls with the squatbar. just so that it gets some prime work done.

For bodybuilders its different, since they'll want definition and both bicep muscles to gain size. But they wont make it the prime focus of a training day. In the classic 4 day split, you first do 4 excercises of a big muscle group (chest,back,shoulder,upperleg) followed by a small muscle group (bicep,trapezuis,tricep, lower legs). Wich is the basic idea.
You do isolation excercises for biceps, but just about 3/4 and after the serious work.

example :

bench press ; incline dumbell press ; pec fly's ; lying overheads
bicep curl ; incline dumbell curl ; scott/preacher curl

Main focus is the chest, and after that the biceps are done.

What to isolate depends on your training goals. A NCOP bodybuilder we got here deliberarly does quartersquats, to isolate his quadriceps and to avoid to much connective tissue, so his muscles are more defined. That ideology can be translated for many compounds.

If a choise is really to be made, i'd follow what ALC said. chest, back, shoulders legs, and make sure you do triceps because unlike biceps wich grow a bit anyway and dont support a major lift, the triceps is a critical muscle wich supports the military press and bench press very much.

Also, if you have "a big arm" its the tricep that makes it look big, and the bicep definition that tops it off.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
What a murder workout I did today

500 meters rowing maching then 1000 meters at full

10 rounds of (5 pushups, 10 spinal rolls, 15 squats, 20 kettlebell swings @ 20kg) no rest

5x5 dead lift, 60 kg, 70 kg, 70 kg, 80 kg, 80 kg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 148)