guys the chat works why dont we use it? (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
The thing about java applets is that they suck. It's a fairly unreliable technology IMO, and depending on the hardware/software/internet connection you may have it can be a pain to get working. Some applets fail for no reason. Others fail occasionally and then do actually work if you reload the page (and download the whole thing again). The simplest remedy should be to install the sun java vm but there's no guarantee. Depending on what you use your computer for, you may have a mix of various jre's/jdk's/vm's already installed, and your browser may not know which one to use. The easiest way out of that one is to uninstall them all (not just delete them) and install just one jre/jdk/vm. On Windows 2000/XP you should be able to uninstall from the control panel.

Now I'm not completely certain about the requirements. I do think applets will run fine with just a vm. For a more general java execution platform you may need jre (that is other than just applets). I would tell you where to download but I can't even connect to java.sun.com at the moment.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
*sigh* i've tried to get onto the chat from both my office and hm PC but for both these coms... it just auto closses my page everytime i click the chat.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Sunshine ] ++
*sigh* i've tried to get onto the chat from both my office and hm PC but for both these coms... it just auto closses my page everytime i click the chat.
Yet another talking point for applets, sometimes they simply crash your browser :rolleyes:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Vicky, scroll up and read the posts on the second page, there should be some download links for the plugins you need

Then again, maybe you shouldn't bother, because all attempts to get the chatroom going have failed to date :down:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)