• England

• USA

• Algeria

• Slovenia

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nejc

May 13, 2006
Absolutely.
[1.] Back then Zahovic was the team. Now there are no individuals, it's a team in the real sense of the word.

[2.] US will be my 65-35 favorites when they play Slovenia. Algeria is, imo, also a favorite against the Slovenians, but I won't be too surprised if Slovenia takes a point or 3 from the USA and Algeria.
1. Back then we had Zahovič and 2 or 3 other decent players, others very pretty much crap... now we have no outstanding individuals, but all of the players have enough quality to cope with other teams.

2. 100% correct

I'm sure you know better. Honestly, I just saw the three matches played against Egypt and I wasn't impressed at all.

I still can't see them qualify over USA or Slovenia. I must say I agree with Alan here, they got passion but certainly lack quality compared to USA and Slovenia.
You are overrating Slovenia...USA is surely stronger, and Algeria is at least on par with Slovenia

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I hope Slovenia and the US go through, as much as I hope for both England and Algeria to get humiliated.

None of the teams in this group will go beyond the quarters.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I'd bet on England to go through to the semis before placing money on Italy, that's for sure.

If you want to talk about putting things into perspective.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The Algerians have a good generation of footballers that on paper should be able to play good football. In terms of individuals, they have a bunch of really talented players.

The only problem is, their coach Rabih Saadane. Now i'm not saying he's not a good coach, actually he is probably one of the best coaches in North Africa, he even got Algeria to the 86 WC back when he was a young coach. The only problem is, he is extremely negative in his approach. 90 % of the time he comes to a match not to concede and trys to win it by set pieces or individual brilliance by one of his players. Now i think that would be a good strategy when they face England, but it wouldn't do him too well against the US or Slovenia imo.

Also, its a misconception that Algeria is normally a negative team, on the contrary they are normally a joy to watch, but like i said, their coach is really negative.

About the players, their best players are.

Ziani, he is their star, their playmaker and one of the main reasons Algeria have qualified. Energetic player that is also a very good dribbler, and he's got an eye for the killer pass.

Belhadj, quality fullback. His forward runs, dribbling and crossing are all very good. Offensively he is an absolute beast, but he can be really suspect defensively.

Meghni, you probably know him well as he's been in the Calcio for a long time.

Algeria always plays a 3 man backline, which consists of Halliche, Bougherra and Antar Yahia. I think their defense is rather strong. One of the strongest in Africa actually. Their problems lie in the center of the field though, they have no real quality ball winner in midfield.

Thats so not true. One of their main strenghts is their defense. Really tight and physically imposing. Definitely one of the strongest in Africa if you ask me.
Thanks for that. I'm familiar with Ziani as well, pretty slick player.

If what you've written plays out in the Summer, we may be looking at a 0-0 draw if we can't break them down. If Algeria sits back the entire match, putting 10 men behind the ball, we won't be able to utilize our speed, which upsets me a bit. We are used to sides playing ultra-defensively when they play us in the States, but away from home and against good sides we always get breaks on the counters. This will be an interesting task.

What I do like to hear is that they are weak defensively in midfield. That is certainly good news -- Donovan and Dempsey might be able to have a field day if they're on form, plus we might not necessarily lose the midfield battle, especially if Jones will play (major if due to the manager).

How do they counterattack as a team? Is it at least somewhat adept and quick? Is it a fast team compared to like a Ghana?

The Slovenian team finished the qualifying group with four consecutive victories (2 games against San Marino so they don't really count, but also against Poland and Slovakia away), and two good games against Russia. We deservedly beat them over two games and on paper they are a better team then the USA. If this form translates to WC form, we should definatly not be underestimated, by anyone.
Russia also had a better coach too, but again, sometimes the teams that do well to qualify implode in the major tournament. I'm not saying Slovenia will, especially if their mental toughness pulls through.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I doubt it Beckham will probably start missing PKs and FKs thus missing important goal scoring opportunities for England
He might not even play.

With Capello as manager, they have a chance to go very far, especially with the players available.

If Lippi sticks with the old players this could be another short tournament for Italy. They don't look very inspiring, but since they got an easy draw, they'll probably make the quarters.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
Well well well, I will enjoy reporting the game with you Andy, to say I'm excited is an understatement. On paper it's not a difficult group but we'll see. I predict that England and USA will go through with England topping the group by one point. By the way Azzuri fanboys STFU about England.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well well well, I will enjoy reporting the game with you Andy, to say I'm excited is an understatement. On paper it's not a difficult group but we'll see. I predict that England and USA will go through with England topping the group by one point. By the way Azzuri fanboys STFU about England.
You'll have to excuse the things I say before and after the coming match against England. What I say are my opinions and only my opinions. I can't stand your players, I can't stand your media, I can't stand your football, I can't stand your clubs, I can't stand your manager, I can't stand your prick fanboys, and I can't stand your marketers' arrogance. Fack English football.

Apart from that, you aren't a bad bunch. Well, apart from the food, of course. :D

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
You'll have to excuse the things I say before and after the coming match against England. What I say are my opinions and only my opinions. I can't stand your players, I can't stand your media, I can't stand your football, I can't stand your clubs, I can't stand your manager, I can't stand your prick fanboys, and I can't stand your marketers' arrogance. Fack English football.

Apart from that, you aren't a bad bunch. Well, apart from the food, of course. :D
I understand your hatred so most of what you say flies over my head anyways. :p I just hope for a good game.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Thanks for that. I'm familiar with Ziani as well, pretty slick player.

If what you've written plays out in the Summer, we may be looking at a 0-0 draw if we can't break them down. If Algeria sits back the entire match, putting 10 men behind the ball, we won't be able to utilize our speed, which upsets me a bit. We are used to sides playing ultra-defensively when they play us in the States, but away from home and against good sides we always get breaks on the counters. This will be an interesting task.

What I do like to hear is that they are weak defensively in midfield. That is certainly good news -- Donovan and Dempsey might be able to have a field day if they're on form, plus we might not necessarily lose the midfield battle, especially if Jones will play (major if due to the manager).

How do they counterattack as a team? Is it at least somewhat adept and quick? Is it a fast team compared to like a Ghana?

Russia also had a better coach too, but again, sometimes the teams that do well to qualify implode in the major tournament. I'm not saying Slovenia will, especially if their mental toughness pulls through.

Counter attacking isn't really one of their strengths, rather slow in the build up to play proper fast counterattacking football.

Their main strength lies in the way they master set pieces, though i don't think that will trouble you much as your defenders are strong in the air anyway.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
If all the favorites win their groups and then win in the 1/8 finals, then this is how the quarter final matches will look:

#1. France-England
#2. Holland- Brazil

#3. Argentina-Germany
#4. Italy-Spain

The winner of #1 will play winner of #2 in the semifinals and winner of #3 will play winner of #4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)