Group C

• England

• USA

• Algeria

• Slovenia

Results are only viewable after voting.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Egypt were playing like shit in the playoff match overconfident and they lost to a counter attack goal scored by a defender. Algeria had like just 30% possession!

I really can't see them qualifying.

be aware of Slovenia though!

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Algeria - too much passion and not enough quality to support and handle the passion. On one match they'll be dying on the pitch, on another one they'll choke hard.

They won't qualify from the group.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Yet, Algeria look to be able to play football.
Well, they have the talent for sure, as most of the North Africans do. But talent alone doesn't make you a quality football player and none of the Algerians belongs among the best players in the particular position they play.

Oh, and if the Algerians are planing to play as they usually do when they have a good result (wasting time in fashion that i've never seen before in my life), then I sure hope they go out early.

narchi

Jul 2, 2006
Nice to read all coments. As Alen said we are not as good as Croatia, Bosnia or Serbia. I mean if you look at players but we are better as a team. Who think that we could be infront of Poland, Slovaki and Czech republik? Who was thinking that we could be better than Russia, with Hiddink, Arshavin,......
We play 4-4-2 and yes the only two players that most of you knows are Handanovič and Novakovič. I think that Sarma is one of the reasons that we are here and he could be decisive in most of the games. But there are also Birsa, Dedič and Koren who will do most of the work. We are not favourites in this group, but we weren't even before. But we are workers and if the discipline will be high and if some players will be in top form we could suprise and go forward. We don't think that we could beat England, if we could take them a point that would be fantastic, so our only chance are USA and Algeria. We will see it will be nice.

narchi

Jul 2, 2006
Hahaha, Vlatko I didn't even expect that you will say forza Slovenia and England. Here is the difference between some of Croatian people and Slovenian. Our people will cheers for you.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Hahaha, Vlatko I didn't even expect that you will say forza Slovenia and England. Here is the difference between some of Croatian people and Slovenian. Our people will cheers for you.
It's just that we don't know your players so there is nothing that attracts us.
If it makes you feel better, I cheer for your basketball team at big competitions (when you don't play against Croatia, of course) :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Sure, we'd cheer for you as well...if you were giving us a part of your territory. :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Well, perhaps it works in their favor if they don't have a Zahovic to rely on. Now it's just up to them as a team.

Now someone familiar with North African football needs to provide a scouting report on Algeria.

Fred, where you at? :D
The Algerians have a good generation of footballers that on paper should be able to play good football. In terms of individuals, they have a bunch of really talented players.

The only problem is, their coach Rabih Saadane. Now i'm not saying he's not a good coach, actually he is probably one of the best coaches in North Africa, he even got Algeria to the 86 WC back when he was a young coach. The only problem is, he is extremely negative in his approach. 90 % of the time he comes to a match not to concede and trys to win it by set pieces or individual brilliance by one of his players. Now i think that would be a good strategy when they face England, but it wouldn't do him too well against the US or Slovenia imo.

Also, its a misconception that Algeria is normally a negative team, on the contrary they are normally a joy to watch, but like i said, their coach is really negative.

About the players, their best players are.

Ziani, he is their star, their playmaker and one of the main reasons Algeria have qualified. Energetic player that is also a very good dribbler, and he's got an eye for the killer pass.

Belhadj, quality fullback. His forward runs, dribbling and crossing are all very good. Offensively he is an absolute beast, but he can be really suspect defensively.

Meghni, you probably know him well as he's been in the Calcio for a long time.

Algeria always plays a 3 man backline, which consists of Halliche, Bougherra and Antar Yahia. I think their defense is rather strong. One of the strongest in Africa actually. Their problems lie in the center of the field though, they have no real quality ball winner in midfield.

Not really. They are really weak at the back and won't withstand the quality of England, USA and even Slovenia.
Thats so not true. One of their main strenghts is their defense. Really tight and physically imposing. Definitely one of the strongest in Africa if you ask me.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Thats so not true. One of their main strenghts is their defense. Really tight and physically imposing. Definitely one of the strongest in Africa if you ask me.
I'm sure you know better. Honestly, I just saw the three matches played against Egypt and I wasn't impressed at all.

I still can't see them qualify over USA or Slovenia. I must say I agree with Alan here, they got passion but certainly lack quality compared to USA and Slovenia.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I'm sure you know better. Honestly, I just saw the three matches played against Egypt and I wasn't impressed at all.

I still can't see them qualify over USA or Slovenia. I must say I agree with Alan here, they got passion but certainly lack quality compared to USA and Slovenia.
Well, YOU KNOW BETTER [:D] but from the little i've seen of Algeria, I disagree with your last sentence. They don't lack quality compared to Slovenia, nor the USA.
I'm giving advantage to the USA due to what i've seen of them at the confederations cup where they proved that they can work perfectly as a team, but individually, I don't think the Algerians have anything at all to envy the Slovenian or the American players.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Your perfectly right Alen. I don't know much about Slovenia, but i think the US as a team is better than Algeria and i for one expect them to qualify at the expense of the Algerians. It will be tough and Algeria will fight till the end though.

But its like i said before, if Saadane does not restrict his players and overload the talented ones like Ziani and Meghni with defensive duties(like against Egypt) Algeria will do much better, Saadane needs to be a little more positive since he has some really talented individuals.

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004
The Slovenian team finished the qualifying group with four consecutive victories (2 games against San Marino so they don't really count, but also against Poland and Slovakia away), and two good games against Russia. We deservedly beat them over two games and on paper they are a better team then the USA. If this form translates to WC form, we should definatly not be underestimated, by anyone.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Well, YOU KNOW BETTER [:D] but from the little i've seen of Algeria, I disagree with your last sentence. They don't lack quality compared to Slovenia, nor the USA.
I'm giving advantage to the USA due to what i've seen of them at the confederations cup where they proved that they can work perfectly as a team, but individually, I don't think the Algerians have anything at all to envy the Slovenian or the American players.
Working perfectly as a team is considered a huge quality I guess. The tactical awareness of the USA players is much better than that of Algeria's especially when it comes to defending. They are much more organized. I can't deny that Algerians got some really skilled players in midfield and in the front line, no doubt about that. But they lack other certain qualities that define a team who can qualify from the group stages.

As for Slovenia. I've only seen the two playoff matches against Russia (even less than Algeria) and they were amazing both Home and Away. Totally deserve to be in the WC. From these two matches, I saw a very very solid Slovenian side. I like Handanovic, by the way. I think he's one of the top 10 GKs in the world.

But, again, I'm only judging from 2-3 matches. You guys maybe know better :D

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Fabio Capello , interviewed (in English) on Sky Sports-

"in order for England to advance, we must win games"

:shifty:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)