Greek Election (2 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I see industries like food & retail doing well, perhaps kick-starting small parts of a national economy. That's one way an individual can contribute. We call it consumer confidence here, if I'm not mistaken. Buying small things like clothing, shoes, etc or food will have a positive impact if more people do it. Its a way an individual can contribute marginally. Then, if you look at things like buying new cars that also helps but as you say its a psychological game. If people are afraid their money will be taken unexpectedly they are going to hide it and keep it safe.
People have to have money to be able to buy things.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Trust in the euro zone will plummit. Spain and Portugal to follow suit, perhaps Italy. EU expansion will halt to the east and ruskie influence will be invited into europe. Great stuff really.
Also, if Greece get their own currency they can devaluate and boost their exports, which will make their national economic recovery quicker but have a lot of cobsequences for the greek people (any imported items will ve much too expensive)

The real question is what Greece are going to do with their debt? I have no idess what mechanisms are in place to enforce that Greece make their payments.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I see industries like food & retail doing well, perhaps kick-starting small parts of a national economy. That's one way an individual can contribute. We call it consumer confidence here, if I'm not mistaken. Buying small things like clothing, shoes, etc or food will have a positive impact if more people do it. Its a way an individual can contribute marginally. Then, if you look at things like buying new cars that also helps but as you say its a psychological game. If people are afraid their money will be taken unexpectedly they are going to hide it and keep it safe.
That's exactly what I was talking about, if enough people believe that things will go well and consume, then things will actually go well precisely because of this attitude. However, this general feeling doesn't usually just come out of nowhere, and the best economic player to kickstart it is in my opinion the state.

Also, you gotta watch that the products bought aren't imports.

- - - Updated - - -

The real question is what Greece are going to do with their debt? I have no idess what mechanisms are in place to enforce that Greece make their payments.
There's not really any default plan for states, that's part of the problem.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Trust in the euro zone will plummit. Spain and Portugal to follow suit, perhaps Italy. EU expansion will halt to the east and ruskie influence will be invited into europe. Great stuff really.
Except eastern euro countries (bar serbia and belarus that would never join the EU anyway) hate Russia more than anal cancer.

They are a big problem criminality-wise but that's a different topic

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Except eastern euro countries (bar serbia and belarus that would never join the EU anyway) hate Russia more than anal cancer.
Markets in need of investment will accept investments, if this turns into Fort Europa the rest will simply play together under the terms afforded to them.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
People have to have money to be able to buy things.
Yes, but that doesn't mean the government can't take a % of what a person has and leave some behind to buy things but when it comes to have the purchasing power to buy things that will actually make an economy stronger versus buying lifes necessities you begin to see things different.

I wouldn't say the purchasing power is in the favor of the Greek people at the moment.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
That's exactly what I was talking about, if enough people believe that things will go well and consume, then things will actually go well precisely because of this attitude. However, this general feeling doesn't usually just come out of nowhere, and the best economic player to kickstart it is in my opinion the state.

Also, you gotta watch that the products bought aren't imports.
Very true.

You could see a rise in tariffs to push local consumption versus buying imports. The balance will be delicate because if you hit foreign exporters to Greece hard they pull the plug and that doesn't help either.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Havent scrolled through the thread, but Varoufakis resigned.

This is interesting stuff.
Yep. Tbh he probably wasn't perfect for the role, not the best negotiator it seemed.

The new guy to me basically seems very similar to Varoufakis concerning his political & economic views, but with a very contrasting personality.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Yep. Tbh he probably wasn't perfect for the role, not the best negotiator it seemed.

The new guy to me basically seems very similar to Varoufakis concerning his political & economic views, but with a very contrasting personality.
Quite a character:D

:numnum:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Yes, but that doesn't mean the government can't take a % of what a person has and leave some behind to buy things but when it comes to have the purchasing power to buy things that will actually make an economy stronger versus buying lifes necessities you begin to see things different.

I wouldn't say the purchasing power is in the favor of the Greek people at the moment.
Obviously.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)