Greatest player of all time and why (4 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
It is a though discussion, and surely Buffon comes close, but so does Kahn or Schmeichel.
I agree that in 2015, I prefer to have Gigi over Casillas, but looking at the last 15 years, Casillas has proven enough to be considered one of the best ever.
True.

But Buffon has easily proven more.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Was in doubt but Casillas won more then Gigi and has also played on a very high level for many years.
Buffon is easily the better goalkeeper. I can't remember times when Casillas was better tbh. And the difference between them now is night and day.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
True.

But Buffon has easily proven more.
yeah if buffon accepted madrid offer when juve was completely decimated and aging, relegated to Serie B Casillas would be benched until buffon retired from playing even with his best form

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Buffon is easily the better goalkeeper. I can't remember times when Casillas was better tbh. And the difference between them now is night and day.
Surely a player that has won 2 x EC and 1 x WC, 3 x CL, 5 x La Liga, 2 x Spanish Cups, 2x the club championship for teams, 4 x Spanish supercup and has been elected 5x best GK in the world from 2008 up until 2012 has had a better period then Gigi.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Surely a player that has won 2 x EC and 1 x WC, 3 x CL, 5 x La Liga, 2 x Spanish Cups, 2x the club championship for teams, 4 x Spanish supercup and has been elected 5x best GK in the world from 2008 up until 2012 has had a better period then Gigi.
He won more, but was never the better player.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
In that case Carles Puyol is the best defender ever.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
With that logic Victor Valdes is better than Buffon & Kahn combined, and Padoin shits all over Baggio.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Casillas was past his peak by the age of 31, for a goalkeeper that is incredibly early. He was always a great shotstopper, but Gigi had a far better command of the box and his defence than Casillas ever had.

Buffon is simply the greatest goalkeeper since Yashin, yes I'm being slightly biased but the facts back me up, nearly 20 years of world class consistency is unparalleled in the sport. He had a bit of a rough patch from 08-10 but was still better than most.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
In that case Carles Puyol is the best defender ever.
With that logic Victor Valdes is better than Buffon & Kahn combined, and Padoin shits all over Baggio.
What a comparison are you two making?
That is ridiculous, my comparison isn't.

I agree it is not all about the awards, I was just making a point that Casillas definitely had a period were he was better then Gigi.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

I agree it is not all about the awards, I was just making a point that Casillas definitely had a period were he was better then Gigi.
But he didn't. At best he was his equal.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013

There were periods were both were in the same tier, and a short period (2008-10) where Casillas was better. But at his absolute peak (probably 2006), Buffon was better than Casillas at any time during his carreer, and Buffon also was much more consistent over a much longer period of time.

Btw didn't see that you included individual titles in there, but any comparison of club/country titles as a basis of determing who's better between two individual players is absolutely ridiculous (your post isn't as much as you included individual honors).

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Except Casillas was extremely instrumental in most of these titles, and has always been considered a star player for club and country. The same can't be said about Valdes.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Except Casillas was extremely instrumental in most of these titles, and has always been considered a star player for club and country. The same can't be said about Valdes.
Of course, but that's exactly the thing. Club/country titles don't really say anything about an individuals share in those titles.

I didn't see the 5x world's best GK chester included.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Casillas was a world class keeper. I don't think anyone can deny that. But better than Buffon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)