Greatest International teams (1 Viewer)

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #22
    Denmark 84/86 were excellent as well, as they played gr8 football characterised by Michael Laudrup and Preben Elkjaer

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by [DJ Juve] ] ++
    hungary 1950s...
    Can't believe I forgot them!! :embarass:

Hungary's draw for EURO2004 could see them make it to the finals IMO which is something I'm really looking forward to!

Does anyone know where I can get more information on the Hungarian team now playing?

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #25
    England 70, i have to mention were a very good footballing side as well, better than the 66 team imo

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #27
    I never mentioned them, as i am not a fan, just mentioning the teams i have seen that were great to watch

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
    There's always hope but realisitically I'd have to say 'no way'...
    My thought is that the Netherlands will win a WC with-in my lifetime, but you never know. A little optimism couldn't hurt though.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    Great wonder how Holland and Spain have not done it as yet
    Simple explainations: The Dutch are too arrogant. Even in the media it's a crime to suggest that the team might not be performing well or might not match teams like France or Brazil. This arrogance is unmatched in any other country and it causes us to underestimate the enemy too often - loosing matches follows.

Spain...well, Spain is Spain - they're hardly ever a team (more a sum of their parts) and when they are a team, they have bad luck like against Korea in this WC...

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
    Simple explainations: The Dutch are too arrogant. Even in the media it's a crime to suggest that the team might not be performing well or might not match teams like France or Brazil. This arrogance is unmatched in any other country and it causes us to underestimate the enemy too often - loosing matches follows.
    I'm gonna go ahead and disagree here. The Dutch aren't too arrogant, they're too tactical. They think of nothing but tactics. They fail to take into account other factors. But I still love 'em.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #34
    I agree with Erikp about the arrogance of the dutch, Louis van gaal is a living proof, so are Gullit, Cruyff and Van Basten

Great talents they maybe but a bit of humility will help sometimes

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
    I'm gonna go ahead and disagree here. The Dutch aren't too arrogant, they're too tactical. They think of nothing but tactics. They fail to take into account other factors. But I still love 'em.
    I forgot that one! I actually read an article about that before the WC you might find interesting:

THE DUTCH EXAGGERATE TACTICS, SAYS VAN BASTEN

As the World Cup is about to kick off in Asia, the new KNVB coaching course recruit, Marco van Basten gives us his opinion on Holland’s failure to get there. “In Holland we generally have the tendency to think that tactically we are up there with the best. But if that was the case, we would have qualified for the finals,” the former AC Milan star says.

Tactics, correct field positioning, defenders getting into attacking positions; coach to be Van Basten doesn’t seem to be that interested in an exaggerated tactical approach to the game. “In Holland it’s terribly fashionable to talk tactics. I for one think in our country we tend to exaggerate a little.” Obviously, being a Cruyff protégé, he points the finger at Louis van Gaal: “He wanted his influence to count all the time, when maybe at times he should have let go.”

In Van Gaal’s tight disciplinary concept Van Basten had seen the Dutch internationals lose their confidence to the extent that all flair and spontaneity had disappeared. He has no doubts about the players’ will to win. “No, I feel that the players tried 100% to get to Japan and Korea.”

Utrecht-born Van Basten says Van Gaal approached the job of managing the national team as if it were a club side. “Van Gaal himself has never made a national squad. That might explain why he worked in the manner he did. With the national side, you’re together for maybe two or three days. It’s impossible to impose a tactical concept in such a short space of time.”

Van Basten at one point almost sounds like his great master Johan Cruyff, known for his down to earth analysis of the game. “Keep it simple. If Van Gaal had told his four defenders to keep out their opposing numbers and told the forwards to score a couple of goals, we would have beat the Irish. Holland’s elimination has been such a huge blow for Dutch football.”

Van Basten’s hope now is focused on Van Hanegem and Advocaat. “They too are extremely practical in their approach to the game.”

Source: http://www.knvb.nl/

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    I agree with Erikp about the arrogance of the dutch, Louis van gaal is a living proof, so are Gullit, Cruyff and Van Basten

Great talents they maybe but a bit of humility will help sometimes
    Van Gaal & Cruyff, I agree. Gullit is actually a great person - he's got his own tv programme and is often the presenter of football match coverages on tv. He is actually comparable to Gary Lineker with one difference - Gullit was definately a tad too arrogant during his playing days. At least he's changed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)