Goodbye, Foe (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Stars Turn Out For Foe's Family

Cameroon beat the "Friendship Selection" 3-1 on Tuesday in a match to raise money for the family of Marc-Vivien Foe, the Cameroon star who died during the summer.

A crowd of 24,000 people turned up at the Stade Gerland to support the event in honour of Foe who collapsed during the Indomitable Lions' Confederations Cup match with Colombia in June and died shortly afterwards.

The player's son, Marc Scott Foe, wearing a shirt bearing the name "Dad", led the players on to the pitch for the match between the Cameroon national team and a team made up largely of players from three of Foe's European clubs, Lens, Lyon and Manchester City.

Patrick M'Boma, Modeste M'Bami and Samuel Eto'o all scored first-half goals for Cameroon before Brazilian Sonny Anderson replied for the "Friendship Selection".

French stars Thierry Henry, Robert Pires and Nicolas Anelka also appeared for the "Friendship Selection".

Foe left a widow and three children when he died and his family have already received a donation from football's world governing body, Fifa.

After the final whistle, a message that read "Rest in peace, friend" was displayed on the scoreboard.

Foe was buried after a requiem mass in July in the Cameroon capital of Yaounde.

soccerage

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #3
    I doubt he made a lot of Italian friends playing in France and Manchester City.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Another article (From Yahoo News):

LYON, France (AP) - After international soccer stars played a match Tuesday to honour the memory of Marc-Vivien Foe, the scoreboard lit up with a message for the late Cameroon midfielder: "Rest in peace, friend."

One of Foe's school-age children led players out of the tunnel for the match in Lyon's Gerland stadium, where Foe collapsed June 26 during Cameroon's 1-0 Confederations Cup semifinal win against Colombia. Foe's former Cameroon colleagues, sporting white game jerseys, played Foe's teammates from sides he represented - Lens, Lyon and Manchester City - as well as other stars.

Big-name players included Thierry Henry and Robert Pires of Arsenal, Brazilian (news - web sites) striker Sonny Anderson of Villarreal, and Manchester City forward Nicolas Anelka.

The atmosphere was subdued and mournful at the start, but soon the goals started rolling in and the crowd perked up, with spectators chanting Foe's name over and over. Cameroon won 3-1.

"I dreamed of this match," said Basile Boli, a former France and Marseille defender Basile Boli who helped organize the game to raise money for Foe's young family.

L'Equipe newspaper has said the match was expected to raise around 200,000 euros ($302,000 Cdn) in ticket sales.

FIFA, soccer's governing body, has already donated 610,000 euros ($921,000 Cdn) to help Foe's widow Marie-Louise and their three children.

Foe died of natural causes resulting from an enlargement of the left heart ventricle, which caused him to have a heart attack, officials have said.

Nicknamed Marco, Foe was an immensely respected and popular figure wherever he played.

He starred at the 2002 and 1994 World Cups and won the last two African championships with Cameroon. In France, he clinched league titles with Lens and Lyon.

Foe also played briefly for West Ham United in the English Premier League. Since joining European soccer from Cameroon's Canon de Yaounde in 1994, he played 201 league matches, scoring 24 goals.

Last season, Foe was outstanding and scored 9 times as Manchester City placed 9th in the English Premier League. He totalled 8 goals in 65 matches for his country.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Everytime I hear something about Foe I'm really touched by sadness. I still can't believe that this horrible thing actually happened :down: The part about Foe's son wearing a shirt marked "Dad" nearly brings me to tears :touched:

RIP Marc-Vivien Foe

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    yeah i remember that day when i heard the sad news :( . I then saw the news and pictures on TV..... extremely sad.

I hope his family have recovered from the loss.

You will be missed always.

I used to enjoy watching Foe at Man City.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    :touched::touched::touched:

Awesome :touched::touched::touched:

I think this is great for his child(ren), because he'll (they'll) grow up knowing that their father was someone great. I'm glad that he wasn't just forgotten after his death.

Rest in Peace, friend.

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

I think this is great for his child(ren), because he'll (they'll) grow up knowing that their father was someone great. I'm glad that he wasn't just forgotten after his death.

Rest in Peace, friend.
    i think they would rather just grow up with a father than that ;)

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    i am confused... they hold that match becoz 'Marc Vivien Foe died' or bcoz 'Marc Vivien Foe died during the course of a FIFA saction match LIVE in front of worldwide viewers' :confused: ;)

its just that i dunno there is a tradition that whenever a professional football player died the would hold such an event like that...;)

eitherway my condolence to the family , (if they by any chance read this )..

i dun follow Foe's club career much but i noticed that he was a very important figure in the Cameroon NT.. and that team really impress me since the last 2 world cup or so...and from what i read, he was scuh a nice fella... pity that he died very young.. really put football into persepective.. but then again people do dies everyday.. some people sacrificed their lives for the freedom of their land .. at least Foe dont have to worry much about the charity of his wife and children as FIFA had handsomely took care of that..

REST IN PEACE MARC VIVIEN FOE ( if he by any chance ...err... :undecide: )

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    RIP Foe.
    True that is one of the saddest moments I've ever witnessed while watching a football match. Classy move by all the players, fans & organizers of that game :thumb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)