Gonzalo Higuaín (131 Viewers)

How many Goals will Pipita score this season in all comp?

• 0-5

• 6-10

• 11-15

• 16-20

• 21-25

• 26-30

• 31-35

• 36+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
“First of all, I want to thank Inter Miami for the effort they made to buy me. I’m sure it will be a wonderful experience in my life,” he told the club’s official website

To buy Higuain? I mustve missed something, what was the transfer fee lol? :D

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
The game wasn't all about feeding Higgy like it was at Roma with Dzeko, don't go full fanboy on me now.
Romas game is all about feeding Dzeko? It wasn't any more than with higgy at his clubs, it has nothing to do with fanboying. That's higgys main strength, not setting up the team to provide chances for him would be a waste

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, that lovely lovely hindsight. Wish we had a crystal ball to peek into the future so we’d know which move to make four years in advance.
90M on someone with little to no resale value was always gonna be bad

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
from the athletic:

Jorge Higuaín on son Gonzálo’s move to Miami and treatment in Argentina

GettyImages-1259251361.jpg

By Felipe Cardenas Sep 23, 2020
In the early 1980s, Jorge Higuaín was an influential central defender for San Lorenzo in Argentina. During his career he also played for both Boca Juniors and their eternal rivals, River Plate — a rare feat. His goal as a professional was to play in Europe, and he did so briefly in France. The notion of playing in the United States at that time seemed like an absurd idea to Higuaín, the father of Inter Miami CF’s third designated player, Gonzálo, and his brother Federico, who plays for D.C. United.
“Our coach (at San Lorenzo) was Héctor Viera and one day he gathered us at midfield for a team talk,” Jorge Higuaín told The Athletic. “He insisted that we learn English because he felt that the future of the sport was in the United States. Argentine players are fundamentally fiery and we thought, ‘What’s this guy talking about?’
“We only looked to Europe. We never considered going to the U.S. We even laughed and felt that what he was saying was ridiculous. And now, look. Today MLS is a real option for Argentine players.”
Jorge Higuaín, 63, offers insights into the reasons why a player of Gonzálo’s caliber would want to play for an MLS expansion side. After 13 seasons at some of Europe’s biggest clubs, Gonzálo will take on the new challenge of helping to build a new club in a 25-year-old league looking to sustain its growth. The 32-year-old striker will also be expected to deliver immediate goals for an Inter Miami side that has struggled to score. Furthermore, the Miami Herald reported that Higuaín will be the highest paid player in the league, so he’ll have to live up to that, as well.
“I think this move will be good for him,” said Jorge. “He’s at a club that’s being led by someone like (David) Beckham, his teammate at (Real) Madrid. Gonzálo is going to help the club and the club is going to help him. He understands the responsibility that he has as a designated player. He’s well read and has always been very aware of it because his brother Federico was a franchise player in Columbus for (seven) seasons.”
Football is a family affair in the Higuaín household. Jorge, along with his eldest son Nicolás, have been Gonzálo’s agents since 2007, when he impressed as a 19-year-old at River Plate. After Gonzálo left Argentina to join Real Madrid, Jorge and Nicolás joined him in the Spanish capital while Federico was playing for Turkish side Besiktas. Jorge credits his wife Nancy as the person responsible for keeping them and their four sons all together through their globetrotting lives in the game. Their youngest son, Lautaro, is the only one who has not pursued a career in football.
“(Nancy) is the captain of this ship, because honestly, she has been there for the entire family,” Jorge said. “I told her that I didn’t feel right pursuing a career in coaching when two of my youngest kids were playing abroad. So I postponed my (coaching) career and decided to help my Nicolás (become an agent). I don’t think we’ve done a bad job.”
Nicolás handled Gonzálo’s exit from Juventus, which involved terminating the final year of his contract, as well as handling the ensuing agreement with Inter Miami on a free transfer. The process took some time to complete, and Jorge says other MLS clubs approached the Higuaíns along the way.
“When someone wants to leave a club on good terms, the priorities have to be dialogue and logic,” said Jorge. “When there’s dialogue and logic things typically work out and that’s what happened to us with Gonzálo. His brother negotiated very well with both parties so that Inter Miami could land Gonzálo and we could leave Juventus on good terms. That’s how it played out. When there’s interest and it’s mutual — Gonzálo was also interested — it’s a lot easier when you start having conversations and you get along with those people.”
It may sound like a typical negotiation, but to Jorge, Gonzálo leaving Juventus on good terms was paramount to the process. The elder Higuaín views the game as business that’s built on relationships. In South America and in Europe, a player changing clubs is often met by vitriol and exaggerated criticism from supporters. Gonzálo played for clubs that “that don’t accept losing,” Jorge said, and has been the target of harsh condemnation from fans of Argentina’s national team for years.
Gonzálo announced his retirement from international football in 2019, after representing his country at three World Cups, reaching the final in 2014, followed by runner-up finishes at the Copa America in 2015 and 2016. He scored 31 goals in 75 appearances for Argentina.
“I want to enjoy my family and myself,” he said last March. “My cycle is done, perhaps some will be happy and others will not be.”
Criticism is part of the equation for professional footballers, as it is for any public figure. However, Jorge said that even though his sons were prepared for it, Gonzálo’s generation has been unfairly judged in their home country. He referred to Argentine society as one that is “disrespectful” and that “doesn’t know how to value what one has accomplished over time.”
“It’s not a failure to be a runner-up and it’s not the result that we all want, either,” said Jorge. “We all want to play in finals, but not everybody does. One can’t permanently devalue teams that lose (finals). I think that’s disrespectful. In Argentina they mistreated a generation of players that played in three finals — a generation of players that carried the Argentine flag in Europe, players like Gonzálo, (Sergio) Aguero, (Lionel) Messi, (Ángel) Di Maria, (Javier) Mascherano and others who have excelled at the elite level for so many years. That type of reaction doesn’t allow the sport to make progress.”
Jorge’s assessment of Argentina’s sporting culture correlates with his son’s decision to come to MLS. From Jorge’s perspective in Buenos Aires, MLS has shown consistent progress and a strategic plan for continued growth. “The league doesn’t live by their past or what they got wrong,” he said. “They’re looking to improve upon what they got wrong.”
The Higuaíns believe that Gonzálo is coming to America at the right time in his career. His status as a formidable player who has lifted trophies in Spain and Italy will be a benefit to the league and teammates in Miami. Jorge is well aware of the different kind of pressure that Gonzálo will endure in MLS, but he mentioned several times that his son is happy with the move and with what lies ahead.
“The most important thing for (Gonzálo) is that he leaves his mark on the club,” said Jorge. “I would love to see him solidify (his career) with Inter Miami, because one has to be grateful. There will now be many footballers that will be interested in playing a part in the league’s continued development. Looking back on history, it all got started with Pelé and Beckenbauer (in the old NASL), and today it’s reality. It’s a competitive league. As more top-tier players arrive, (MLS) will continue to grow. I think there are still a lot of areas where they can improve, and that’s what this is all about — that players at (Gonzálo’s) level come here and contribute to that growth.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 123)