• Michel Salgado (Real Madrid)

• Paul Scholes (Manchester United)

• Andriy Shevchenko (Milan)

• Lilian Thuram (Juventus)

• Francesco Toldo (Inter)

• Francesco Totti (Roma)

• Hatem Trabelsi (Ajax Amsterdam)

• David Trezeguet (Juventus)

• Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Manchester United)

• Patrick Vieira (Arsenal)

• Christian Vieri (Inter)

• Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal)

• Gianluca Zambrotta (Juventus)

• Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid)

• Pavel Nedved (Juventus)

Results are only viewable after voting.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

Why bother with it at all?
It's a discredited joke among those in the know.

A survey was done last year among the France Football staff members who, incidently, are the sole people who vote for this prize.
Can you believe something like 20% didn't even know which team Ronaldo played for...they voted for him because he scored some good goals in the WC....Micheal Owen was voted for because they remembered that goal against Argentina...(when the hell was that again? it was so long ago); scary stuff. Some of their European reporters based in some of the smaller nations hadn't even seen a foreign game, even on TV, that year:eek:
Ronaldo played for Inter and Real Madrid , so I seriously doubt anyone would not know what team he played for, and as a Brazilian , I am surprised that anyone won't know what team he plays for as the whole world seems to be gaga about Brazilian players or is it ka ka?(ha ha)

As for Owen, he did score 2 goals in Fa cup final, 2 goals in Rome when Liverpool beat Roma 2 goals and most importantly he did score a hatrick in Munich when England won 5-1 not to mention that his team won the treble so I seriously doubt it was because of something that happened in 1998

I am sure the survey was definitely inaccurate or they were probably kidding

Anyways beware the late surge of Thierry Henry

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
As for Owen, he did score 2 goals in Fa cup final, 2 goals in Rome when Liverpool beat Roma 2 goals and most importantly he did score a hatrick in Munich when England won 5-1 not to mention that his team won the treble so I seriously doubt it was because of something that happened in 1998
You're right, Owen did some good things in that year, but i'd hardly call it The Treble...

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++

I thought the award was based solely on last season's performance, or am I wrong?
No, not really, they tend to remember your recent performances and forget what you did in the beginning, thats why I personally find it unfair, players like Makaay should forget about it as what he did in Cl last season and with depor is instantly forgotten
An example is Ronaldo's win last year, they ignored his non contribution to Inter but based solely on his wc exploits while Raul was totally ignored
Henry did well, last season and is doing well this season and he is infact French, so they are not likely to ignore that

@Gray, you might be right , but noone else outside Raul shone, and the FA Cup is pretty important worldwide and the UEFA, is probably devalued but it is still a big tournament while England winning in Germany 5-1 is a huge result , so scoring a hatrick does linger in the memory

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
So it's the French media who basically have the majority vote on the award, then. I'm not too familiar with the voting process and who gets to vote. If that's the case, they may as well put all the French NT members in a hat, except for Barthez, and just pick a name.

If what you say is true, then Nedved would still have as good a shot as any of winning the award, as he's had a very good season. That highlight-reel goal against Brescia, which I'm sure the whole world has seen, certainly can't diminish his chances.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
So it's the French media who basically have the majority vote on the award, then. I'm not too familiar with the voting process and who gets to vote. If that's the case, they may as well put all the French NT members in a hat, except for Barthez, and just pick a name.

If what you say is true, then Nedved would still have as good a shot as any of winning the award, as he's had a very good season. That highlight-reel goal against Brescia, which I'm sure the whole world has seen, certainly can't diminish his chances.
Thats the mistake ppl make, Juve vs Brescia would be shown as an afterthought in most other countries, if he did that against Milan then it would be better for him, his cause would be helped by Cl , not individual leagues and back in the say SerieA had no equal but thats no more the case so shining in Serie A is no more the big deal , it used to be

No I do not think they can afford to be biased when picking the winner, it has to be someone its universally agreed can win so saying Wiltord won it would render it useless

Henry, winning should not cause any raised eyebrows in England, most of south america, oceania and Africa and a lot of countries in Europe

To be fair though the Eoropean player of the year has now been overtaken by world player of the year as the most prestigious individual award

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I agree with you on that. It's just that Henry really hasn't been one of the more prominent names mentioned for the award, and if he sneaks up and wins it, though the football world wouldn't really take issue with it, it would render most of last season useless.

Is Serie A the only super league that has such a disparity between the top 4 or 5 squads and the rest of the leagues. I watch the EPL on occasion, because we have Fox Sports World, and they show a lot of those matches, and for the most part, even when a Man U is playing someone like a Wolves or a Manchester City, although ManU usually comes out on top, those games usually tend to be much more competitive than say a Juve-Empoli match. I also notice that the staidums in England, even for the smaller teams, are far and away nicer than the bandboxes some teams like Siena play in.

I had started a thread a while ago about some of the Serie A teams going bankrupt and the financial irresponsibility of these teams and what needs to be done to correct it. One of the points that i made was that some of these smaller teams need to renovate or completely re-build their stadiums, for they look like ancient relics that belong in Serie C3. Some people didn't see how that would help, but if there's one thing I know living in the States, is that a new stadium, at least for the first few years, generates an awful lot of revenue.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
No SerieA is not the only superleague with disparity as the other teams do as well more than serieA in fact as Serie A has imo the most quality teams in the premier division, the problem is attitude, in England most teams hate Man u so they motivate themselves to play, they might lose but they do so by putting up a fight while in Italy the game seems to be lost before a ball is kicked and they seem to have calculated beforehand where they would win points like Reginna might think where we would gain points is by beating siena not by beating Juve so they do not always give their all against big teams or so it seems to me

I am not saying Henry would win it , all I am saying is that beware of a late surge by him, apparently he is the winner of the world player of the year, not sure about that but i read it somewhere

As for stadia, loads of teams have nice stadia here in England but believe me they are really broke, the biggest problem has not to do with stadia , its more to do with the advent of satelitte tv for showing matches live, so now you have more armchair supporters than ever before

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003

Is Serie A the only super league that has such a disparity between the top 4 or 5 squads and the rest of the leagues. I watch the EPL on occasion, because we have Fox Sports World, and they show a lot of those matches, and for the most part, even when a Man U is playing someone like a Wolves or a Manchester City, although ManU usually comes out on top, those games usually tend to be much more competitive than say a Juve-Empoli match. I also notice that the staidums in England, even for the smaller teams, are far and away nicer than the bandboxes some teams like Siena play in.
I dont agree with you on that. IMO, Serie A has the most overall quality. Let's do some comparisons.

Last season 6th in Italy: Udinese
Last season 6th in England: Blackburn

7th: Chievo:
7th: Everton

8th: Roma
8th: Southampton

etc, etc.

Now tell me, what do you thing who would win in a direct matchup?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
It's hard to blame some of those teams for not wanting to try, when it's already known that the Scudetto will be decided by 4 or 5 teams, the way it has been for decades.

It seems that every match that I see on the EPL, the stadia are at or near capacity, and I'm not just talking about Arsenal or Man U, I'm talking Leeds, Wolves, Newcastle, et al. The situation must be pretty bleak for some of those teams.

I heard that Henry or Zidane had won it, and that Nedved was 3rd in the voting.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
It's hard to blame some of those teams for not wanting to try, when it's already known that the Scudetto will be decided by 4 or 5 teams, the way it has been for decades.

It seems that every match that I see on the EPL, the stadia are at or near capacity, and I'm not just talking about Arsenal or Man U, I'm talking Leeds, Wolves, Newcastle, et al. The situation must be pretty bleak for some of those teams.

I heard that Henry or Zidane had won it, and that Nedved was 3rd in the voting.
Newcastle, yes its normally full and to an extent Wolves but you ought to know Wolves have been trying for close to 20 years to get to the premier division and now they are here their fans are glad to be watching big matches live every week while Leeds is hardly full all the time

I honestly don't know what the problem is in Italy, maybe they feel better watching at home or have better things to do on a sunday afternoon or just cannot be arsed if their teams are not playing one of the big boys

Back to the topic, Nedved and Maldini who most ppl thought would walk it now have different rivals popping up

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Newcastle has only 100,000 people in the town, but they get a capacity 50,000 to most games. Man Utd get 62,000-69,000 in every game, Manchester City get huge home crowds (used to be capacity at Main Road, ie 32000, even bigger now at City of Manchester Stadium) for a club who spent so long in Div 1, and still aren't a big team yet. Leeds used to get 40,000 - though I don't know what they get now. Most of the smaller sides have stadia in the region of 30,000 to 40,000 capacity, and more or less fill them. Only Aston Villa really buck the trend, with a lot of disillusioned fans staying away now.

Everton were on fire last season, at least at the begining. I'd put money on them to take Chievo. Blackburn had Duff, who could dismantle a smaller side, Serie A or Premiership, all by himself - he dragged them into sixth by the scruff of the neck. Think Maradonna at Napoli, only not quite so good. :)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
So who else do you think is in contention now?
Like I said Henry is, do not rule out Zizou, Ronaldo if not that Inzaghi has slackened then he would be there

Remember that prior to the cl final semis Sheva had been non exisitent , now he is in contention, its almost like a boxer who only does work 30 secs to go and influences the judges with that.

Thats all it takes as ppl tend to forget what you do beginning and in the middle but what u do in the end

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Nedved is still my pick, but I don't know if the French would agree. Henry is his obvious rival now, unless the voting has already concluded.

Ronaldo, Maldini and Zidane are outsiders at this stage, the genius of Raul will continue to go unrecognised, and Buffon's claims will go unnoticed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)