• Michel Salgado (Real Madrid)

• Paul Scholes (Manchester United)

• Andriy Shevchenko (Milan)

• Lilian Thuram (Juventus)

• Francesco Toldo (Inter)

• Francesco Totti (Roma)

• Hatem Trabelsi (Ajax Amsterdam)

• David Trezeguet (Juventus)

• Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Manchester United)

• Patrick Vieira (Arsenal)

• Christian Vieri (Inter)

• Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal)

• Gianluca Zambrotta (Juventus)

• Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid)

• Pavel Nedved (Juventus)

Results are only viewable after voting.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Golden Ball bores Nedved

Pavel Nedved says he can’t wait for the Golden Ball to be awarded to the winner – so he can stop answering questions on it.

The Juventus star is one of the favourites to be named as the European Footballer of the Year even if he’s not overly concerned with it.

"This is turning into an obsession for people and I can’t wait for all this fuss to end," said the Czech Republic star.

"I just want to concentrate on football again, on training and on actual games for my club and country.

"I would obviously be pleased if I was named as the Golden Ball winner but if I don’t it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

"After all, the trophies that really count in this game are those that you win on the field of play."

Nedved has had a superb 2003 after winning the Scudetto, helping his club to the Champions’ League Final and qualifying for Euro 2004 with the Czechs.

Meanwhile, rumours circulating around Europe on Friday suggest that Nedved has come third in the FIFA Player of the Year prize.

Thierry Henry is said to have won that particular trophy, ahead of Zinedine Zidane. Two players who ironically both played for Juventus in the past.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

:touched: I love Nedved's attitude! No matter what they interview him about, he's always so humble and down-to-earth about everything :touched:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
Gray you said: And Maldini was truly exceptional last year?

And a few posts back I HAD SAID:
Last year NO ONE WAS TRULY EXCEPTIONAL...not Paolo, especially not Nedved who was not consistent and had ups and downs...a poster even confirmed this recently.

and Gray yes I borrowed your see Last name, Name. Take it as a compliment! Kudos!

OK late me ask you this mate: do you think Maldini was better than Nedved last year? :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
Hmm this looks familiar Martin

OK I'm a Celtic man, but this guy Lister knows jack sh*t about Henrik Larsson if he thinks he had a bad 2003. Joint top scorer in the uefa cup before the final, even after coming back from a broken jaw, then scores two good goals against Porto in the final to bring his team back into the match. Scored crucial goals for Celtic in all comps (Liverpool, Boavista, Blackburn, Celta Vigo, etc). Broke British record for European goals with the same club and once again voted Celtic most valuable player of the year. Not saying by any means he should be the winner, but deserves, in my opinion, to be in at least the top fifty
Take it from me, I don't know anything about Celtic or Larsson. I just posted the article as a curiosity, he's just talking trash to me. :D

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Denco:

1. Because Sammer is a defender. Because defenders rarely get the Golden Ball and because of looking back we want to see people like Baresi and Maldini and even Scirea winning it and not Sammer. Looking at that generation of defenders will Sammer stick out?

2. Berlusconi ownes and operates Finninvest and one of Finninvest's companies is his publishing sector others are Insurance companies, AC Milan Team and investment in foreign entreprises. Berlusconi having time to do the things you accuse him of would render him unable to control his empire and bankrupt within years. Before all he is a businessman...before his love of AC Milan before his loyalty to Galliani..BEFORE ALL...don't be naive. he does what is best for his enterprise and not diddy daddle in how is better on a soccer field.

QUOTE: MVB who I regard as the best number 9 ever also won the Golden ball in 92 due to Berlusconi's influence than any other thing as Milan were banned from Europe for unsportsman like behaviour after losing a tie to Marseilles and Stoichkov whose team Barcelona won the European cup was so incensed, he made his feelings known to everyone. (the same Stoichkov who lost 4-0 to Milan two years later?? Oh yeah...and I guess your suggesting that VB did not deserve it because they didn't win the CL? Baggio won it a year later based on his performace in the Uefa Cup.)

Really, could it not be to the fact he was one of the top scorers in the tournament and Serie A...did you even follow the CL afterwards? Do you remember what became of Marseille? And do you remember the unsportsman like behaviour???? It was because they refused to play in poor lighting..the stadium was barely visible and Marseille didn't care because they aimed for a tie. STATS are deceiving when you don't know the WHOLE STORY.

"By the way whose big mouth led to Zoff retiring from the NT, it was not Moggi's" And by the way, a week afterwards everyone supported Berlusca by saying that if Zoff was that scared to stand up and take criticism he should not be the national team coach. In addition, do you remember what Berlusca said? Was he wrong about it? Because every football critic did not seem to think he was wrong..they were just too scared to bring it up. And one more thing: If Zoff was so great..hmmm...where is Zoff now? oh yes and shortly afterwards ..Berlusconi's party won with a majority not seen in 20 years. I guess people liked his way of thinking after all. One more thing..hitting and pointing at Bersluconi just hits your owners right in the face...the biggest and largest contributors financially and publicly to the Forza Italia.
I never saw the gauntlet thrown..I saw stats and very predictable theories presented which needed Clarification.
I did not provide stats i provided points, I do not care if you think any person who is not a Italian is not a great defender, when you compare Sammer with the Italians you mentioned, you refuse to acknowledge that Sammer was in fact more complete than the guys you called, he was superb in midfield and he could defend and scored in that tournament as well
The criteria for winning golden ball is ususally that your country should actually win something with you as the best player and that was what Sammer did , and in non big tournament years then, anything goes

I am not that interested in what Berlusconi owns or what he does not as its irrelevant to our conversation

You went about saying Moggi is behind a propaganda for Nedved to win the golden ball and I am not disputing that but my point is that berlusconi has done it before and he was not prime minister then so thats another moot point

They are as bad as each other so there is no point in accusing one of one thing if your man does or has done the same thing

I mentioned Stoichkov in 1992 and you say the same Stoichkov that was beaten , 2 years later by Milan? where is the relevance in that statement? The fact is that Stoichkov deserved more than van Basten that season cos his team won their league and they won the European cup

which brings me the European cup, I have that game on tape so do not act as if I am talking from what I read

The first game in Milan was 1-1, Milan were outplayed by Marseilles but scored in the 4th minute thru Gullit before Papin equalised

In Marseilles, Waddle scored, the game was going on, not that dark and Milan quite childishly walked off the field and the tie was given to Milan and you were banned and the match was actually awarded as a 3-0 victory

Not the first time Milan had behaved like that is it or you do not recall playing Verona 89/90 season and Rikjard, and Baresi got red cards, Van Basten got the hump took off his shirt that he was no more playing and he too got a red card, you eventually lost 2-1 and Napoli went on to win the title

Or explain to me how in 1997/98 season , how Napoli could be leading the league so comfortably and then with 4 matches or so to go completely capitulate and Milan won it thus starting the Milan era

A few years later it was reported in the newspapers in Italy that Napoli were allegedly bribed with cocaine to throw away the league

Well if you see these as stats , nothing I can do about that

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Denco .. you have to clarify because I think its a typo but your dates are ALL off..I assume its a typo.

You have mentioned the beginning of Milan's era when they came from behind and beat Napoli for the title. Do you not remember the season before when they lost the scudetto because of the firecracker incident at San Siro and the league took 2 points away resulting in them losing the title. Thus, they did not come from nowhere..in all fairness they were the best team the season before and the season you speak of they beat Napoli gloriously...ending their reign. Berlusconi had re-structured the whole team and bought the biggest names in Europe. And you question how they won? Look at the 99 season when Ganz scored the extra minute goal vs. Samp and then went on to beat Lazio with a handful of games remaining. How about Juve in that infamous 98 season when Inter was disallowed the most incredible goals and to this day remains questionable..granted only to Interisti Or Inter losing on the last game of the season two years ago and Juve winning the Scudetto. Should we question those? Everytime a team comes from behind its questionable? Milan went on to be the most winning team of that generation ... it was very plausible they were going to win the Scudetto. By the way, Marseille should have never been in that tournament as their 93 scandal extended beyond just that season. MVB not deserving the Golden Ball...do you remember that season? I'll leave it at that..because we are going to go in circles.
I only mentioned Berlusconi because you brought him up..that was my point..he was not PM but owned and operated Finninvest holding corp and your trying to tell me he is using his power to get a Dutch player a Golden Ball. sorry...I don't think he is that dumb..and regardless of Political opinions he has proved to be quite the brilliant mind when it comes to business.

"A few years later it was reported in the newspapers in Italy that Napoli were allegedly bribed with cocaine to throw away the league " Firstly, Milan was mentioned by ONE MAN..Maradona and later he admitted that he was just bitter in this his accusations. Do you remember that season...its pretty hard to throw some of those games. Come on...if we talk scandal Juve is a team that defines scandal. Be it as they are: accusations but they have heard it all: doping...and some of it was true; influence over refs and there are VERY QUESTIONABLE CALLS. I don't believe that Moggi is in an office late Saturday giving Paparesta, Collina and the gang instructions for the next day. Nor do I believe officials are bribed..but over the years the only trend among officials is being hesitant to call penalties vs. Juve and being all too eager to whistle in their favor.
Please don' t give me the predictable : Milan last season and PK..they were the team with the strongest attack....it goes hand in hand.

Rack EM...

By the way, the stats...there was an incident with someone who was refering to stats and I thought it was you....

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Ok sorry to get off topic...BUT Goat to answer your question:

YES...but its hard to measure because of the two distinct positions and the way in which we see the positions succeed. BUT YES...ok shoot AWAY firing squad!

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Take it from me, I don't know anything about Celtic or Larsson. I just posted the article as a curiosity, he's just talking trash to me. :D
When I said it looks familiar I meant that I'd already written the same reply to the same article in Forza Juve members talk...I was just too lazy to change it:down::D

Shame on me:groan:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Oh I didn't know it was posted there :)

Oh well, since it's you, I suppose I can find it in my heart and forgive you...but don't let it happen again, do you hear?:devil::D

Seriously, I agree with your comment; this guys talking garbage:(

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
if henry wins the award im never gonna bother with it ever again! :stuckup:

Why bother with it at all?
It's a discredited joke among those in the know.

A survey was done last year among the France Football staff members who, incidently, are the sole people who vote for this prize.
Can you believe something like 20% didn't even know which team Ronaldo played for...they voted for him because he scored some good goals in the WC....Micheal Owen was voted for because they remembered that goal against Argentina...(when the hell was that again? it was so long ago); scary stuff. Some of their European reporters based in some of the smaller nations hadn't even seen a foreign game, even on TV, that year:eek:

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Denco .. you have to clarify because I think its a typo but your dates are ALL off..I assume its a typo.

You have mentioned the beginning of Milan's era when they came from behind and beat Napoli for the title. Do you not remember the season before when they lost the scudetto because of the firecracker incident at San Siro and the league took 2 points away resulting in them losing the title. Thus, they did not come from nowhere..in all fairness they were the best team the season before and the season you speak of they beat Napoli gloriously...ending their reign. Berlusconi had re-structured the whole team and bought the biggest names in Europe. And you question how they won? Look at the 99 season when Ganz scored the extra minute goal vs. Samp and then went on to beat Lazio with a handful of games remaining. How about Juve in that infamous 98 season when Inter was disallowed the most incredible goals and to this day remains questionable..granted only to Interisti Or Inter losing on the last game of the season two years ago and Juve winning the Scudetto. Should we question those? Everytime a team comes from behind its questionable? Milan went on to be the most winning team of that generation ... it was very plausible they were going to win the Scudetto. By the way, Marseille should have never been in that tournament as their 93 scandal extended beyond just that season. MVB not deserving the Golden Ball...do you remember that season? I'll leave it at that..because we are going to go in circles.
I only mentioned Berlusconi because you brought him up..that was my point..he was not PM but owned and operated Finninvest holding corp and your trying to tell me he is using his power to get a Dutch player a Golden Ball. sorry...I don't think he is that dumb..and regardless of Political opinions he has proved to be quite the brilliant mind when it comes to business.

"A few years later it was reported in the newspapers in Italy that Napoli were allegedly bribed with cocaine to throw away the league " Firstly, Milan was mentioned by ONE MAN..Maradona and later he admitted that he was just bitter in this his accusations. Do you remember that season...its pretty hard to throw some of those games. Come on...if we talk scandal Juve is a team that defines scandal. Be it as they are: accusations but they have heard it all: doping...and some of it was true; influence over refs and there are VERY QUESTIONABLE CALLS. I don't believe that Moggi is in an office late Saturday giving Paparesta, Collina and the gang instructions for the next day. Nor do I believe officials are bribed..but over the years the only trend among officials is being hesitant to call penalties vs. Juve and being all too eager to whistle in their favor.
Please don' t give me the predictable : Milan last season and PK..they were the team with the strongest attack....it goes hand in hand.

Rack EM...

By the way, the stats...there was an incident with someone who was refering to stats and I thought it was you....
Sorry I meant 87/88, and thats when Milan era did start

Aug 1, 2003
i bothered with it this year because NEDVED should win it ;) and i still find it amusing that a survey is done and the english has voted nedved and maldini behind mutu :D its just damn funny

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

Why bother with it at all?
It's a discredited joke among those in the know.

A survey was done last year among the France Football staff members who, incidently, are the sole people who vote for this prize.
Can you believe something like 20% didn't even know which team Ronaldo played for...they voted for him because he scored some good goals in the WC....Micheal Owen was voted for because they remembered that goal against Argentina...(when the hell was that again? it was so long ago); scary stuff. Some of their European reporters based in some of the smaller nations hadn't even seen a foreign game, even on TV, that year:eek:
For real!?

Well... now I'm glad i'm "in the know"

Why the heck are these clowns the ones who choose the award?

btw, even if Nedved wins it, at least we'll know that it's not because a bunch of idiots reminiscing 5 year-old goals. I mean Nedved didn't even play in the World Cup, so he must be a heck of a player if he wins it! All the more credit to Pavel :thumb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)