Goals Conceded: Solutions? (2 Viewers)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
If I were Moggi & am not buying then this is what I will do:
- Get Thuram to the centre.
- Lock Legro into a room & give him the lecture of life.
- Fire Iuliano as a warning to the rest.
- Try Appiah at the back (it can't get any worse!)
- Finally make sure all the strikers outscore the opponents.
There .... :p

Buy on AliExpress.com

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
If Moggi won't buy any defender, it would be difficult for our team, since we'll play without Ferrara and Birindelli on the next couple of games.
Hmm.., first, I wanna see Tudor play more often.
Thuram still at right back, Tudor in the middle with Montero :groan:, and Zambrotta on the left.
I also want to see Appiah in the half defence, like Davids/Gattuso role.
And Maresca, gosh...this man is great I wanna him play more often.
Since we have no new defender at the moment, so I'd like to see Juve like this:

-----------------------Buffon------------------------

--Thuram-----Tudor----Montero----Zambro----

------------Maresca----------Appiah--------------

--Camoranesi------Nedved-----Tacchinardi----

-----------------------Trezeguet--------------------

5 midfileder could be good, so can it be possible to put Ale on bench? :rolleyes:

Jan 24, 2004
I would hold a meeting with whole squad and coach. There I would explain tables up to ten of soccer. (e.g. defence is a matter of all eleven players). After flipping out the team has to get through an "punishment-training" - go for a 15 km run. While they are panting I would give Lippi an ultimatum. at least seven points out of the next three games. how he has to manage it, I wouldn't care cause I'm not employed as coach. when he reaches it I would reassure him to buy 2 defenders (Lucio an someone else) during summertime. If he fails --> salary shortage of -20% for all!!! except of me - I'm the manager!! :)

Aug 1, 2003
I'll just say this thing- I think what we lack most, is, pace. I think the main problem lies there. young strikers (and sometimes old ones) could outpace our defenders. And we're not very strong on the wing either. Zambrotta might be fine, but Thuram isn't just working so far. His manmarking have been worse. Don't get me started to talk about the centre. I'm sure we all know everything about that.

I just think we need fresher younger blood. Oh, motivated younger blood I mean. Legro doesn't seem to win titles. But perhaps being his first season in Juve he hasn't blended in yet. But whatever, I'm just annoyed with our pace ESPECIALLY after Empoli.

I don't think I'm ever this mad with Juventus. (discounting our performance in the final and againts perugia circa 99/00)

OP
Primo

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #47
    Pace? We've never had this to be quite honest. Our strong point was organization. And that Buffon was all fired-up last season. If a forward was able to out-run a defender, Buffon would be there in an instant to take the ball away.

How many off-side traps have been broken for our defense?

Aug 27, 2003
    oh god it is a big nightmare! :S i mean i was excpeting this ! b ut we have scored the most and it has been the first time we score that much in half the season...
    but im getting worried..i think our defnse is a lil bit moved out..i think we should take iluano out and put it some other desrved player...dont play tudor!!

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
    if i was moggi...i wont panic like some of us (me included) ;)

and yes...we seem to lack motivation or summink this year...:down: yes, our backline are a bunch of oldies....but if they have the motivation, they'll easily protect us from the likes of di natale etc. how come 37year-old ciro is doing far better than 27year-old legro or even 30-summink montero.....:down:

if i was moggi...i'd lock the whole team in a room...and give motivational speech for 3days non-stop....:devil:

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    I think all of us agree here on the importance of defence and I believe it is they key to winning Lo Scudetto, it always has been.

The thing is we didn't change much in our squad and yet we've seen it suddenly concede goals like crazy.

I believe last season we had a great defence due to:

1). The unbeatable partnership of Ferrara-Montero, they have been playing together for what, 5-6 years. They understood each other and performed the offside trap impeccabley.

2). Individual performances of certain players:

Buffon had an unforgettable year, he broke all rules of gravity to make unbelievable saves from time to time to keep us alive in games and collect numerous clean sheets.

Davids' work rate down the midfield and his ability to close on midfielders helped shoot down alot of attacks and thus minimize the danger on our goal. Tacchinardi too was having one helluva season in which he couldn't seem to be to replicate.

Now, this season we have brought in new players and most of them were offensive ones to help us score more goals. But that seemed to shift the balance of power in the team.

Lippi played nearly all defenders since the start of the season to help the defensive problems, but none of the defeners displayed a commanding role to partner Montero. Legro did well when he first joined, but the pressure probably got the better of him and he hasn't been performing well. Tudor was tried and other than an own goal didn't really impress. Ferrara had his chance and showed some sluggishness. And lately, Iuliano so embrassingly failed to impress and had to be substituted in the 2nd half to stop Empoli from scoring any more goals.

Sounds bad, doesn't it?

Injuries - during different stages of the season - to Thuram, Birindelli, Ferrara, Legro, Pessotto, and Tudor didn't help either.

But, on a happier note, according to latest rumours Moggi is very close to securing Ferrari's services from Parma before the end of the January Transfer window. I believe the young captain could fit in well in the team and hopefully tighten up our defence.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    IMO during the 3 back experiment outrbackline was somewhat solid.

sadly we have to bandoned that experiment due to injuries to our defense.... and now Birindelli is injured so we stil cannot do it...

any way i think as our dfense is already bad the way it is we should try again the new aproach....

our line up should be like this..

................................................Buffon

...............Thuram.............legro................montero

pesotto ..............tacchi.....................maresca...................zambrotta.

.........................................nedved...
    ....................trezeguet ..............................Del Piero....

i think the 4 midline would make a more steady cover for the back line... and also would give more width as zambrotta has more liceance to roam... the weakest link atm would be pesotto as he was more used as a full back rather than a wingback role.... but that IMO would be no problem as compare to zambrotta, pesotto's priority would be to defend... kinda what Lima is doing compare to Mancini.. beeing kinda defensive looking formation , the main method of attack is counter .. something that would utilize maresca skill at the deep playmaking role...

although many people will argue that this is basically would be a 5 man defense tactic, but my man target is to increa our midfield capacity...... before we are can survie with 3 man in 4312 or 2 man in 4231 at midfield beacuse twe have on form midfileders who can be trusted not to lose the ball in, Zambrotta, Camoranesi and Davids... but those people are now gone in one way or another ....Davds hasnt with us since the summer, an on form Camoranesi only show up once a while and Zambrotta is not a midfielder anymore.... Appiah is losing the ball too much and no winning it as much as we hope.....so thats why IMO we should try help our defenders to ease the pressure by covering from midfield rather than bringing new players..

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Primo ] ++

Last season:

Scored: 64
    Conceded: 29

*This was at the end of last season.

This season: at the end of week 18

Scored: 41
    Conceded: 21
    Now wait. Let's look at this from a STATISTICAL point of view. This is theoretically correct, but realistically not.

There are 18 teams in Serie A minus Juventus. So 17 teams for Juventus to play times 2. So there are 34 games in each season. Last season, in 34 games:

We averaged 64/34 = 1.88 goals / game.

We averaged 29/34= 0.85goals against / game

So far this season,

We averaged 41/18 = 2.28 goals / game.

We averaged 21/18 = 1.17 goals against / game.

These statistics are not that bad but show an indication that we are not doing as well defensively but much better offensively. In fact the difference of the offense is .4 while the difference of the defense is .32. A clear indication that our offense has improved more than our defense has worsened.

Now, theoretically, at the end of the season we'll have

Scored : 76 goals. (64 last season)

Conceded : 36 goals. (29 last season)

This is of course a statistical approximation. Technically, at the end of this season we would have scored 12 more than last season and conceded 7 more.

Thats a 12:7 ratio, which is a pretty good bargain if you ask me. Score 12 more, but let 7 more in.

So not that big of a deal after all. :eek:

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
    Too bad football isn't math, Persian :down:

I remember in 2000, when we had van der Sar as a gk, we also got 8 goals conceded in week 18 (same as Milan/Roma this season). Ancelotti played 3 defender (3-4-1-2) that time: Ferrara, Iuliano, and Montero.

Aug 1, 2003
    you know, I honestly don't think our offside traps were ever that effective. Some might disagree, but that was how I felt.

Ferrari? :down: good for serie a, but I wanted a non cup tied player... well something's better than nothing

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    But, on a happier note, according to latest rumours Moggi is very close to securing Ferrari's services from Parma before the end of the January Transfer window. I believe the young captain could fit in well in the team and hopefully tighten up our defence.
    A good defender, but people are overrating him IMVHO. There are better ones out there and hopfully Moggi will see them :)

As for what would I do since Moggi doesn't want to open the wallet just yet?

Thuram ---- Tudor ---- Legrottaglie ---- Zambrotta

Nedved ---- Tacchinardi ---- Appiah/Conte ---- Maresca

DP/Miccoli ---- Trez/DV

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    dont put montero or iuliano on the field ever again. play tudor and legro in the middle, if they still fail, bring in a youth defender who at least has some speed. who cares if he has no experience, whats experience when your body doesnt agree with your mind. montero has the brain but his legs tell his brain to fuk off as they cant move anymore.

move thuram in the middle and maybe play a right back from the youth team. right back may be an easier poisiotn to fill by a youngster than centre back.

and last but not least, buy mexes and ferrari right now!:D

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    A good defender, but people are overrating him IMVHO. There are better ones out there and hopfully Moggi will see them :)

As for what would I do since Moggi doesn't want to open the wallet just yet?

Thuram ---- Tudor ---- Legrottaglie ---- Zambrotta

Nedved ---- Tacchinardi ---- Appiah/Conte ---- Maresca

DP/Miccoli ---- Trez/DV
    I think that's the best formation currently available.

OP
    Primo

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #60
    I think we shouldn't buy any new signings to be honest. Half the season would not be enough time for them to fit in and it would not make much of a difference.

I just think that if we can't remedy out defense, we should at least reinforce our Attack. This way, eliminating the world's perception of Juve as a catenaccio style of play, gaining more popularity, and more support from more people for success.

Perhaps, this is probably our greatest strength as only a few sides could match the firepower we have upfront in the form of David Trezeguet, Alessandro Del Piero, Fabrizio Miccoli, and Marco Di Vaio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)