Global Warming Discussion (2 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020
After a lot of rain and storms there are many problems on local levels in Europe with water. Streets flooded and stuff. This is where I get suspicious with the climate change debate.

I don’t see why we are lowering our carbon footprint, using a tax on plastic, but somehow are ignoring quite simple measurements to stop local floods. I see politicians proudly posting selfies that they go on vacation by train, lobbying everyone into a EV but doing nothing to reinforce the infrastructure, while (if we may believe them) global catastrophes are bound to happen if we continue like we do. It’s easy seeable how vulnerable our infrastructure is.

This doesn’t mean I’m against everything. Becoming energy independent is good, improving air quality and stuff aswel, but somehow I think there is mass hysteria while we are ignoring reinforcing streets, river banks etc. Really makes me feel like we got our priorities wrong.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
After a lot of rain and storms there are many problems on local levels in Europe with water. Streets flooded and stuff. This is where I get suspicious with the climate change debate.

I don’t see why we are lowering our carbon footprint, using a tax on plastic, but somehow are ignoring quite simple measurements to stop local floods. I see politicians proudly posting selfies that they go on vacation by train, lobbying everyone into a EV but doing nothing to reinforce the infrastructure, while (if we may believe them) global catastrophes are bound to happen if we continue like we do. It’s easy seeable how vulnerable our infrastructure is.

This doesn’t mean I’m against everything. Becoming energy independent is good, improving air quality and stuff aswel, but somehow I think there is mass hysteria while we are ignoring reinforcing streets, river banks etc. Really makes me feel like we got our priorities wrong.
These flooding problems are often caused by climate change.
Follow the science, not what politicians say or do. And the science is overwhelmingly clear that anthropomorphic climate change is real and is only getting worse.

Jun 16, 2020
These flooding problems are often caused by climate change.
Follow the science, not what politicians say or do. And the science is overwhelmingly clear that anthropomorphic climate change is real and is only getting worse.
Read again, I’m not debating wether climate change is real or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Translate this article for example: https://nos.nl/liveblog/2503710-zan...-durgerdam-dassenburcht-in-de-maas-verwijderd

Why the hell are politicians occupied with our carbon footprint while a simple storm is able to make life almost impossible at certain places. Never do I hear anyone about reinforcing our infrastructure.

Last edited:

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013

- - - Updated - - -

Translate this article for example: https://nos.nl/liveblog/2503710-zan...-durgerdam-dassenburcht-in-de-maas-verwijderd

Why the hell are politicians occupied with our carbon footprint while a simple storm is able to make life almost impossible at certain places. Never do I hear anyone about reinforcing our infrastructure.
I mean, you can care about two things at the same time… it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

- - - Updated - - -

I don't live in the Netherlands obviously, but I'd be really surprised if nothing is actually being done to improve infrastructure there considering I'm seeing it done here.

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #573

But the polar bears

Jun 16, 2020
    I don't live in the Netherlands obviously, but I'd be really surprised if nothing is actually being done to improve infrastructure there considering I'm seeing it done here.
    Against the sea, yes im confident that we (and surrounding countries) are okay. Against the rivers I’m doubtful, every year you see how fragile everything is, yet I don’t hear politicians enough about it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Against the sea, yes im confident that we (and surrounding countries) are okay. Against the rivers I’m doubtful, every year you see how fragile everything is, yet I don’t hear politicians enough about it.

I'm not an expert on this at all, but just yesterday I read an article saying that the big issue in the Netherlands is that the water just doesn't drain easily. And because it's flat, it doesn't really have anywhere to run to. In Belgium we have places like that too, but so far our biggest worry has been very fast overflowing of rivers and the speed with which the water hits towns.

As for the sea, there is plenty of infrastructure in the Netherlands. But I'm guessing most of that was built to protect against floods every decade or so. Maybe it's not as well equipped to deal with yearly floods.

I have to admit that in recent years I've become a bit more anxious about the topic. The rain has changed you know. There can be so much of it in such a short amount of time. It wasn't like that when I was a kid. It wasn't even like that 10 years ago.

Jun 16, 2020
    I'm not an expert on this at all, but just yesterday I read an article saying that the big issue in the Netherlands is that the water just doesn't drain easily. And because it's flat, it doesn't really have anywhere to run to. In Belgium we have places like that too, but so far our biggest worry has been very fast overflowing of rivers and the speed with which the water hits towns.

As for the sea, there is plenty of infrastructure in the Netherlands. But I'm guessing most of that was built to protect against floods every decade or so. Maybe it's not as well equipped to deal with yearly floods.

I have to admit that in recent years I've become a bit more anxious about the topic. The rain has changed you know. There can be so much of it in such a short amount of time. It wasn't like that when I was a kid. It wasn't even like that 10 years ago.
    With seawater there’s a multidecade plan until 2050 to reinforce the dikes, which obviously is an ongoing proces. This country has learned his lessons in the past. My house for example is 4 meters below sealevel.

With rivers, lakes and other things regarding water you really see how vulnerable we are. I guess it’s the same in neighbouring countries. Here honestly I’d like to see a more down to earth approach. Our impact on a global level if we achieve all the emission goals is next to nothing. Therefore if we do expect more extreme weather in the future, start prioritising safety of both civilians and infrastructure first instead of the continuous talks about the emissions. The same goes for Belgium probably.

I really find it crazy how one storm, which wasn’t even the worst of storms, can disrupt such a huge part of the country. My guess is that we aren’t prepared for a horrorseason. Give us a few weeks of this and I can swim to work.

Jun 16, 2020
    Can confirm my village also got flooded a few days ago, but it is on a main river and also has a brook running through so kind of to be expected.
    Than in my opinion it’s really fair to question if the priorities are right. How much is your village prepared for a few consecutive storms, and should we allocate more money to reinforcing stuff instead of lowering emissions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)