Global Warming Discussion (5 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well the Copenhagen meeting turned out to be nothing but a bunch of posturing and nations like Sudan and Chad (fuck both those countries hardcore) blaming the US and Europe for our current situation (which is obviously is, but the logical reaction is to make the exact same mistakes we did just cause you can:andyandbarcelona: ). No one really wanted to say what was needed to gain a positive result. Instead the nations that didn't walk out all signed an agreement to have another meeting in the future.

The funny thing about China is they are very quietly on their way to becoming a leader in sustainable technology manufacturing. India on the other hand isn't really doing anything. But it's not like the world needs those two to go forward with some sort of agreement.
There is no point in an agreement if China, India and other nations do not take part in it. Just like the US not being a part of Kyoto, it means fuckall. I for one am not going to accept having to pay a premium to a governing body while other folks across the pond get to pollute freely, tarnishing whatever "measures" we have taken over here. No, sir. So I'm glad Copenhagen failed.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It's damn nice to have your here, Andy. Thanks and I knew you would be around sooner or later:)
Thanks, Brohan.

At the same time it's undeniable that the climate is changing.
But the Climate does change. The subject matter is called Paleoclimatology. That's just as natural as having a Climate itself.

Too many folks (not you, less learned individuals) demonize the Climate changing because they don't really know what drives a climate. It's just like the folks sarcastically commenting on freakishly frigid temperatures and subsequent snowstorms, saying, "yeah, dis prooves global warming is nut trooo!" They don't understand how Teleconnections and other climate drivers are responsible for series of weather events, like the Winter we are experiencing now.

The populous is so dumbed down that if you'd present random individuals with a petition to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide, I'd bet that half of them would sign it because whatever it is sounds scary and harmful. Here's an idea -- lets ban water indeed because water vapor is a Greenhouse Gas. Perhaps it is harmful afterall. :lol:

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #45
    Thanks, Brohan.

But the Climate does change. The subject matter is called Paleoclimatology. That's just as natural as having a Climate itself.

Too many folks (not you, less learned individuals) demonize the Climate changing because they don't really know what drives a climate. It's just like the folks sarcastically commenting on freakishly frigid temperatures and subsequent snowstorms, saying, "yeah, dis prooves global warming is nut trooo!" They don't understand how Teleconnections and other climate drivers are responsible for series of weather events, like the Winter we are experiencing now.

The populous is so dumbed down that if you'd present random individuals with a petition to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide, I'd bet that half of them would sign it because whatever it is sounds scary and harmful. Here's an idea -- lets ban water indeed because water vapor is a Greenhouse Gas. Perhaps it is harmful afterall.
    :lol:
    :howler:
    Polar Ice caps, are they over load or floating?
    Is Ireland green? :shifty:

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    The first step to fix this is for the governments of highly industrialized countries to take charge IMO. They need to start creating laws and make companies who keep polluting and causing this situation to get worse and worse everyday to start using more eco friendly technologies

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #50
    Just for the sake of posterity, the next 50 years of Co2 is the fault of India and it's over-reliance on coal.
    You write well.

Live green.

I just bought green toilet paper (recycled paper) :agree:

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    The North Polar ice is mostly afloat (there's sweet feck-all land there), the South a fair mix (there being a continent there to support it).
    bout 1000 kg/m3 - Sewater Yeah?

900 kg/m3 - Ice

So in fact, and i'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, sea water is denser than fresh water and hence the level doesn't rise with floating ice like in a JD and coke.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    You write well.

Live green.

I just bought green toilet paper (recycled paper) :agree:
    How the fuck is toilet paper supposed to be recycled if you flush it in the toilet?
    What, they ask Ninja Turtles to pick it up and bring to the recycling guys?

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #54
    Eℓvin;2346630 said:
    How the fuck is toilet paper supposed to be recycled if you flush it in the toilet?
    :sergio:

You're ignorance almost cost you a -rep :p

Recycled paper can be made into toilet paper. I can't believe you just asked me that.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    bout 1000 kg/m3 - Sewater Yeah?

900 kg/m3 - Ice

So in fact, and i'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, sea water is denser than fresh water and hence the level doesn't rise with floating ice like in a JD and coke.
    Yes sea water is denser and yes floating ice doesn't make it rise to the effect of an ice cub in a glass from the tap. Floating ice in the arctic can have other ramifications such as salinity and temperature changes that can alter the density of the ocean and cause changes to thermohaline circulation.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Eℓvin;2346630 said:
    It's made from other stuff.

But at the waste water plants (where the poo water goes to be cleaned so you can drink it or at least put it in the river) solids like TP and other stuff are pulled out and sent elsewhere. I guess someone could recycle the used TP since it's cleaned in the first stages of treatment and basically in a pulp form at that point.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Personally I feel that whatever we do on earth will pale in comparison on what the Suns power can do. All our hard work could mean nothing tomorrow if the Sun explodes, wears out, etc.

I know Andy has a point, that's why I asked him his opinion:) Local Juventuz Weather Man
    You've been watching Nicholas Cage 'act' too?

I'm in agreement with Andy on cause and factors to consider, and have had this belief for a long time. Obviously we are not doing the planet any good however, if scaremongering, or perhaps I should say notable political agenda, is the way to get people to take better care of the environment then it is a positive. As he says though, if everyone isn't doing their bit then we are pissing into the wind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)