Global Warming Discussion (5 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Cars are freedom.

if I ever live in the city again, ill probably get an electric motorcycle tho, would be way easier to park and get around.

would still keep the car

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
We most probably won't stop global temperatures rising with 1,5C without significant and dramatic changes of the lifestyle. I do not see this happening.
At this point I am only hoping the green tech will see exponential rise in the coming years and at least some segments of the population curbing their carbon and overall pollution levels. This can lead to peer pressuring a large majority and the politicians to follow their lead as this lifestyle becomes desirable.Then we can probably limit the rising of the temperature to slightly over 1,5C from the preindustrial levels.
Look, in short term some industries will perish but they are uncompetive and incompatible with modernity. In the long term I see almost no negatives from becoming more sustainable society. We will be even richer then. Well, SA and Russia may not if they do not change.
Although, I do not want another highly polluting industry like oil extraction to be succeeded by mining for example. Fortunately, there has been some progress in recycling battery components - Northvolt, Redwood materials, and eliminating cobalt in motors - BMW.
Invest in green tech: it willbe more profitable than crypto, infinitely better for society and 100% still here and growing 20 years from now while 99% of the 7000+ digital quasi Ponzi-MLM-Pyramid schemes will be irrelevant. Do not say I did not warn you.
My investments are almost entirely in green tech and I have lost no sleep and have barely been checking them as they have been constantly growing with almost no exception.
P.S. This my prediction is predicated on the assumption that another WW or AI has not obliterated us by then.
Изпратено от моят XQ-AU52 с помощта на Tapatalk
Re crypto, I only know about Bitcoin, and I'm aware that it's speculation, not an investment. I know it will never be the world's currency, it's just a store of value. I agree it's a pyramid scheme in a way. It can go to zero at any moment, but I'm gambling on it going a long way up first.

:tup: for the rest of the post. Bring on the green tech. If it's better, it will win. Just don't try use the "climate crisis" as justification for more control over people's lives.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Re crypto, I only know about Bitcoin, and I'm aware that it's speculation, not an investment. I know it will never be the world's currency, it's just a store of value. I agree it's a pyramid scheme in a way. It can go to zero at any moment, but I'm gambling on it going a long way up first.
Every investment is a speculation and a pyramid scheme technically, be it MSFT or real estate. It can be over quick for every type of investment. CEO indicted? Rehab for basketball americans planted in your neighbourhood? Don't fall for that guy but also don't be angry with him. He can't break the programming.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Every investment is a speculation and a pyramid scheme technically, be it MSFT or real estate. It can be over quick for every type of investment. CEO indicted? Rehab for basketball americans planted in your neighbourhood? Don't fall for that guy but also don't be angry with him. He can't break the programming.
True. But even MSFT is designed to inflate in value through corporate growth strategies.

Much of crypto is intentionally designed to neither inflate or deflate as a kind of closed system, which makes it defy logic even a bit more.

pavelnel

Oct 24, 2006
This is delusional thinking as usual. There are many companies out there with 100 years of history that reinvented themselves over and over again and still produce value and useful products. What value do NFTs and Crypto with their archaic tech and inherent inefficiencies produce? They bring as much value to the world as Bernie Madoff's "investment fund" brought.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Cars are freedom.

if I ever live in the city again, ill probably get an electric motorcycle tho, would be way easier to park and get around.

would still keep the car
Cars are enslavement.

Just look at what the car has done to us. It was supposed to provide efficiency, convenience, and ease. But as cars wound their way through our lives, we built societies in which it’s necessary to be able to travel long distances quickly. That meant a need for more cars, and more roads to accommodate the cars. The more cars we made, the more we needed. We made cars to help us live our lives; we ended up transforming our lives – and the places we inhabit – around the almighty car.

Cars, and the people who profit from them, currently own our human asses

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Cars are enslavement.

Just look at what the car has done to us. It was supposed to provide efficiency, convenience, and ease. But as cars wound their way through our lives, we built societies in which it’s necessary to be able to travel long distances quickly. That meant a need for more cars, and more roads to accommodate the cars. The more cars we made, the more we needed. We made cars to help us live our lives; we ended up transforming our lives – and the places we inhabit – around the almighty car.

Cars, and the people who profit from them, currently own our human asses
a little hyperbole there, don’t you think? Before cars there were horses, they just weren’t as good as cars. If you ask me, cars have transformed lives for the better. You can see more places, get more done, all in air conditioned comfort with the music of your choosing. Rather than in the back of a smelly horse.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Same problem here. I checked it last week when I couldn’t use my car; I’d save €1 by traveling with public transport and it would cost me 1 hour extra travel time per day, while it’s only a 25min drive.
Other than freedom, that's the big issue about public transport. With the exception of cities with the worst traffic and parking, it's less convenient and more time consuming.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I also read somewhere.......hear me out.....that some animals went extinct BEFORE Benz built a V12 engine.....whoah

can somebody verifiy?
The part that interests me is:

"The Arctic Ocean has been warming up for much longer than we previously thought," Muschitiello told CNN. "And this is something that's a bit unsettling for many reasons, especially because the climate models that we use to cast projections of future climate change do not really simulate these type of changes."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)