Global Warming Discussion (5 Viewers)

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
@Pegi

Earth's axial obliquity shifts between 22.1° and 24.5° in cycles of 41,000 years

Earth's axial wobble toward/away from the Sun is in cycles of 21,000 years

Eccentricity of Earth's orbit shifts between 0 and 0.5 every ~100,000 years, with another longer periodicity of every ~413,000 years

Positive combination of these factors plus the Abedo effect = Ice Age every ~100,000 years.

These are the factors towards natural temperature changes caused by the planet's position. Not an explanation for the spiralling rise in temperatures in the post-war period.
Ok, explain how the average temperature of earth was 15c higher millions of years ago then? If those cycles and numbers are facts of course.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I never understood this obsession with pointing to historical statistics as if it changes the issue. What's the point.

Is it sort of a , "What? You mean this climate crisis already happened before on earth when the only living things were pterodactyls? What's the big deal then? Go back to work."

"Oh, yes, there was no polar ice in the past and most land was covered by oceans. So nothing to worry about here folks... It's not human-caused. This is natural and we all can drown in our coastal cities with happy faces on!"

Dafuq?

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
I never understood this obsession with pointing to historical statistics as if it changes the issue. What's the point.

Is it sort of a , "What? You mean this climate crisis already happened before on earth when the only living things were pterodactyls? What's the big deal then? Go back to work."

"Oh, yes, there was no polar ice in the past and most land was covered by oceans. So nothing to worry about here folks... It's not human-caused. This is natural and we all can drown in our coastal cities with happy faces on!"

Dafuq?
But ain't pterodactyls natural creations on earth?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Ok, explain how the average temperature of earth was 15c higher millions of years ago then? If those cycles and numbers are facts of course.
Why are you fixating on numbers from 50 million years or so ago? Why not take it back to 3 billion years ago when the Earth was about 3000°C warmer than today? The cycle I am referring to is relative to the last few millions years, perhaps.

Earth's geology is believed to have caused the rise in temperatures, i.e. volcanic activity and the release of CO2 and methane into the atmosphere in huge amounts. Similar to what has started to happen now, only this is in a 150-year period as opposed to thousands of years or tens of thousands. For example, volcanoes emit about 200 million tonnes of CO2 per year today, but man-made CO2 emissions are in the 30+ billion tonnes per year range. The problem is that the Sun is hotter now than it was millions of years ago so it accelerates warming from greenhouse gases.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Climate Change isn't an issue for the Earth itself.
Like you said, the climate keeps changing over millions of years, and the Earth always adapts eventually.
However, the rate of warming right now (which isn't natural btw: it is largely due to greenhouse gas emissions) is so high that many animal species will not be able to adapt and will perish. With rising sea levels due to melting ice caps, millions of people risk losing their homes. Freak weather occurrences are becoming more and more common, and will lead to droughts, floods, hurricanes, storms etc which will cause tremendous loss of life and property. Climate refugees will increase exponentially and so will wars and conflicts over valuable natural resources.
The earth will recover to the new normal eventually, but the damage done to human civilization will be devastating.

Last edited:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Like you said, the climate keeps changing over millions of years, and the Earth always adapts eventually.
However, the rate of warming right now is so high that many animal species will not be able to adapt and will perish. With rising sea levels due to melting ice caps, millions of people risk losing their homes. Freak weather occurrences are becoming more and more common, and will lead to droughts, floods, hurricanes, storms etc which will cause tremendous loss of life and property. Climate refugees will increase exponentially and so will wars and conflicts over valuable natural resources.
The earth will recover to the new normal eventually, but the damage done to human civilization will be devastating.
how do you know that’s not all natural?

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
However, the rate of warming right now (which isn't natural btw: it is largely due to greenhouse gas emissions) is so high that many animal species will not be able to adapt and will perish. With rising sea levels due to melting ice caps, millions of people risk losing their homes. Freak weather occurrences are becoming more and more common, and will lead to droughts, floods, hurricanes, storms etc which will cause tremendous loss of life and property. Climate refugees will increase exponentially and so will wars and conflicts over valuable natural resources.
Earth will always adapt and even if you tried to destroy it, you couldn't. So it's better to stop the propaganda with those lines "save the planet" etc, because planet isn't going anywhere no matter how big of an atomic bomb you dropped in here. It's the life in here that would go away, alongside with the animals and humans. Alot of animal species are extinct today and humans have nothing to do with it, so things will be always going into extinct and that ain't something that's humans can't change. Or maybe they can, but then we can back to what's "natural" and what's not. Earth has been around for way longer than humans have, so is it actually "normal/natural" to have humans walk around in the planet of earth or is it just the "new normal" that you were talking about.

Climate refugees etc, that's just BS. They don't need the climate change to be some kind of refugees.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
I'm not an expert by any means. What I posted above was the important parts of the video outlined.

As far as I know with the Ozone layer it is not an immediate cause for concern since we banned CFCs. Greenhouse gases are the pressing issue, firstly CO2 but more seriously methane and N2O.
Got it, thanks ;)

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
This is what we do at home. House has solar panels all led lighting and solar exterior lights. Have radiant floor heating with on demand water heat. Organic foods and natural or organic cleaners , soaps , shampoos etc
Both our vehicles get over 31mpg ( mine will be electric next ). We have a large garden and a little composter. We live two blocks from main street and walk almost every where and we drive only 6 miles to and from work.
I'm putting this out there so no one can paint me with a broad brush
Mah man.

Just curious, how much work is a large garden?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
This is what we do at home. House has solar panels all led lighting and solar exterior lights. Have radiant floor heating with on demand water heat. Organic foods and natural or organic cleaners , soaps , shampoos etc
Both our vehicles get over 31mpg ( mine will be electric next ). We have a large garden and a little composter. We live two blocks from main street and walk almost every where and we drive only 6 miles to and from work.
I'm putting this out there so no one can paint me with a broad brush
How many panels do you have and at what effect? Are you self sufficient?

I installed 42 panels last year at 12000 kwatthours. Far from self sufficient as I consume around double the amount per year. But that was my reason for solar power, to minimise the overall consumption.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015

I installed 42 panels last year at 12000 kwatthours. Far from self sufficient as I consume around double the amount per year. But that was my reason for solar power, to minimise the overall consumption.
the fuck

average energy consumption in Germany for a 4 person household is 4000 kWh

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015

Mining?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)