Global Financial Crisis (6 Viewers)

OP
Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,361
    That's another concern and I share it with you. What are Denmark (Europe) going to live of in the future. Are we to compete with China? What about Green-tech? Can we compete we the Koreans in terms Education and so on.

Sadly I need to go, so I can't deliver the answer right now. I'll get back when I've found a solution :)
    Yeah, Spain is in deep shit in that regard and the main problem to be tackled there.
    I don't see you posting very often here, sadly. Try to change that ;) (not only this thread).

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
    you've got me wrong and you shouldn't put me in the same box as "europeans". I'm opposed to the euro project and can't wait for it to crash. The reason why I rarely go into realistic political discussions is because i'm a marxist at heart and whenever I'm checking off the voting bill i'm choosing the lesser of the evils on the bill, not because I feel like this is the way to go.

I just don't see how cutting public spending is the way to go, when there is so much private capital just floating around the place. Cutting public spending would cause more people to lose their jobs and in the end further increase public spending on the social safety net (granted, it's hardly a safety net in the US - it's quite embarrassing actually).
    Could you go more into depth how cutting public spending (as opposed to cutting the monstrous defense budget) would get the US out of the crisis.

Just for the record, I feel that the bank bail out was a disaster. If public money were to go into the private sector, it should be the government buying the stocks and making the firm publicly owned, rather than just handing tax payer money over to private firms - so please don't think of me as a obama sympathizer.

---------- Post added 17.08.2012 at 14:49 ----------

The Euro zone should crash asap, for the sake of the smaller economies in the european union. Greece should just file for bancrupcy and start over, instead of amassing this debt which will frankly never be payed back but will instead remove fiscal policy control from Athens and hand it over to the IMF.

The Swedes did it the best, the economic crisis is hardly noticed in their country because they didn't bind their currency to the euro (like Denmark did) and therefore could devaluate their currency artificially.
    You should also take into account, that Sweden did not have a housing crisis.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
    Are you talking about EU or the Euro? Because the EU is much more than a Monetary Union.

---------- Post added 17.08.2012 at 16:13 ----------

Denmark has a healthy economy. Very simple.
    Agree - we have a growth crisis.

That's another concern and I share it with you. What are Denmark (Europe) going to live of in the future. Are we to compete with China? What about Green-tech? Can we compete we the Koreans in terms Education and so on.
    We should focus on creativity starting in kindergarten.

Suns

Release clause?
    May 22, 2009
    Fiscal cliff

President Obama's Stance:

Washington (CNN) -- Flush with re-election vigor, President Barack Obama called Friday for House Republicans to immediately pass a bill already approved by the Senate that would maintain current tax rates for middle-class Americans while increasing taxes of wealthier citizens.

In his first public comments since winning Tuesday's vote, Obama expressed openness to negotiate with Congress on how to deal with pending tax hikes and spending cuts that create the so-called fiscal cliff facing the economy at the end of the year.

However, he also repeated his longstanding demand that Republican opponents to any kind of tax increase relent to the will of the White House and the Senate -- and now the American people -- in letting tax rates increase on income over $250,000.

Nobody in either party wants the middle class, identified as families making less than $250,000 a year, to see taxes increase at the end of the year when lower rates set during the administration of former President George W. Bush will expire, Obama said.

"That makes no sense. It would be bad for the economy," he told a White House gathering of what aides described as middle class Americans. "Let's extend middle class tax cuts right now. Let's do that right now. That one step would give millions of families, 98% of Americans, 97% of small businesses, the certainty that they need going into the new year."

Noting the Senate previously passed a bill to extend the tax cuts to the middle class, but not income over $250,000, Obama said: "All we need is action from the House."

"I've got the pen," he said, reaching into his pocket to hold one up as the crowd applauded. "I'm ready to sign the bill right away. I'm ready to do it."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/politics/obama-fiscal-cliff/index.html

House Republican Leader John Boehner:

Boehner: Raising Tax Rates 'Unacceptable'

Raising tax rates is "unacceptable" to House Speaker John Boehner as he prepares to open negotiations on the looming "fiscal cliff" with the president and congressional Democrats, he told "World News" anchor Diane Sawyer today in an exclusive interview.

"Raising tax rates is unacceptable," Boehner, R-Ohio, said in his first broadcast interview since the election Tuesday.

"Frankly, it couldn't even pass the House. I'm not sure it could pass the Senate."

That stance could set up a real showdown with the White House given that the president has said he would veto any deal that does not allow tax cuts for the rich to expire. But the speaker said that Republicans would put new tax revenue on the table as leaders work toward a deal.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/boeh...-revenue-table/story?id=17672947#.UJ3QkeQmd_g

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Technically it's not a ponzi scheme in terms of dividends paid by further investment but it is value increasing due to further investment despite no asset existing to cover it. I suppose I should rather say that Silver as an 'entity' is insolvent. Pouring money into silver is almost as foolhardy as pouring money into gold but for different reasons. Indeed, if you invested in gold in the 80s you'd still be losing money today on your price. You'd be trading fraud for fraud with silver. I think in terms of 'economics' as a science you're right to predict quite a few things, but 'economics' doesn't function anywhere near as perfectly as it should theory.

You want a safe bet for the next ten years? Chinese infrastructure.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Technically it's not a ponzi scheme in terms of dividends paid by further investment but it is value increasing due to further investment despite no asset existing to cover it. I suppose I should rather say that Silver as an 'entity' is insolvent. Pouring money into silver is almost as foolhardy as pouring money into gold but for different reasons. Indeed, if you invested in gold in the 80s you'd still be losing money today on your price. You'd be trading fraud for fraud with silver. I think in terms of 'economics' as a science you're right to predict quite a few things, but 'economics' doesn't function anywhere near as perfectly as it should theory.

Like those massive ghost cities they build to jack up their GDP? :lol: Great investment when no Chinese people can even afford to move in when they are sitting there vacant.

P.S. I'm sure that smog is going to be really great for their economy in the next 10 years

OP
    Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,377
    Technically it's not a ponzi scheme in terms of dividends paid by further investment but it is value increasing due to further investment despite no asset existing to cover it. I suppose I should rather say that Silver as an 'entity' is insolvent. Pouring money into silver is almost as foolhardy as pouring money into gold but for different reasons. Indeed, if you invested in gold in the 80s you'd still be losing money today on your price.
    Well after silver standard I think it's price dropped for 300-400% so it can even look like it was manipulated. Silver price has gone up by 8% in the first two months of 2013 I think and it was the best way to go. Big countries are buying gold (especially Russia at the moment), they are afraid currencies might crash eventually.

It sure is tempting, whole China thing seems like a big thing coming. I'm just afraid cause of the whole unstable system (actually no system) that we're living in. Too big debts, trillion $ in derivatives are just making a huge bubble. Hell, even stock market seems like a huge bubble now. If that crashes gold/silver will be the only thing to save it's value.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Problem is. 2013 No of silver held in certificate form > amount of actual Silver in circulation

Like those massive ghost cities they build to jack up their GDP? :lol: Great investment when no Chinese people can even afford to move in when they are sitting there vacant.

P.S. I'm sure that smog is going to be really great for their economy in the next 10 years
    It's their chosen solution to their economic problems and as such it will go ahead. Also, I'm talking hard infrastructure because soft amenities can fuck off. One railway in particular that we tipped when I was in Investment grew 100% in a year.

Derivatives are essentially anti-capitalist and you're right it's a massive bubble. The problem is that as long as the US has the biggest gun and the worlds attention, the dollar cannot fail. Which might not be a problem after all.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I know this is one of Andy's favorite blogs, but this has to be my favorite post comment of the week:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...r-death-paris-after-questioning-her-superiors

52 Year-Old French Banker Jumps To Her Death In Paris (After Questioning Her Superiors)

There have been 13 senior financial services executives deaths around the world this year, but the most notable thing about the sad suicide of the 14th, a 52-year-old banker at France's Bred-Banque-Populaire, is she is the first female. As Le Parisien reports, Lydia (no surname given) jumped from the bank's Paris headquarter's 14th floor shortly before 10am. FranceTV added that sources said "she questioned her superiors before jumping out the window," but the bank denies it noting that she had been in therpapy [sic] for several years.

And of course the comment:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...ter-questioning-her-superiors#comment-4692864

StacksOnStacks
    At this rate, this is going to take forever!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Well, I guess it's time to resurrect this thread again considering we clearly have problems here. It's not just the Coronavirus either. OPEC can't agree on production cuts, the bond market is completely out of whack, and central banks are cutting rates once again in an act of sheer stupidity.

And look at this shit

More bailouts incoming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)