Give it to Xavi if there's justice (6 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Nothing's wrong, of course. If it was Italy playing the final and Giorgio Chiellini said the same about Juve fans we'd have been over the moon now.

Here is a question....Who do you guys think stays strongest for the ballon d'or?

Messi? Monster club season in individual level. Disappointed when it counted in CL and WC.

A Spanish guy? Usually in a world cup year a world cup winner takes it all, but this time there wasn't a figure in the Spanish camp who marked the world cup. Villa led them to the semis but failed after that. Xavi, excellent as always but will his work be respected or a more flashy player who's got the goals on his side will take it? Iniesta? Very good world cup, scored the winner, but didn't play for Barca. Maybe Casillas and finally a keeper? Doubt it.

Forlan? Player of the WC, winner of Europa League and scorer of the winning goal there. Is this enough?

The dutch duo? Sneijder stands really strong. Brilliant when Inter won the CL, won a treble, took Holland to the final with his goals and if Robben scored from that amazing pass provided by Sneijder, I think the Inter midfielder was gonna win the ballon d'or. This way I'm not sure.
Maybe Robben? Great for Bayern and very good for Holland.

And lastly, maybe Milito for the CL?

Personally I see minor differences between them all. I guess the September-December period will give the final answer.

Edit: I just see that Rab started a similar thread. A mod can move this post there.
Messi will win it and deservedly so. In fact he might even win it by a fine margin.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Messi will win it and deservedly so. In fact he might even win it by a fine margin.
Depends on way too many factors.

I think I read somewhere that this year France football award will be united with FIFA world player of the year. That means that journalists, coaches and captains of national teams will vote.
So much depends on their profile.

Also, people are usually influenced by what happened yesterday and what happened at a world cup.
So, depending when will the voting take place, the FIFA World Club Championship, and how Sneijder does there, might influence the voters. Or the current form etc.
If Messi doesn't hit good form in September, then the voters will remember that and remember the average world cup he had, so they won't vote for him. And vice-versa. If he plays as he can, it might influence the voters to forget his world cup and CL failure.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
You will never accept that Torres is a diver, will you?
He's really not. He actually takes on way more contact than he should when he plays, hence why he's often injured. However, ^ that is not a dive, he's clipped. If you've ever been clipped from behind while running at even half speed you fly through the air. No matter how minute the contact.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Depends on way too many factors.

I think I read somewhere that this year France football award will be united with FIFA world player of the year. That means that journalists, coaches and captains of national teams will vote.
So much depends on their profile.

Also, people are usually influenced by what happened yesterday and what happened at a world cup.
So, depending when will the voting take place, the FIFA World Club Championship, and how Sneijder does there, might influence the voters. Or the current form etc.
If Messi doesn't hit good form in September, then the voters will remember that and remember the average world cup he had, so they won't vote for him. And vice-versa. If he plays as he can, it might influence the voters to forget his world cup and CL failure.

Thats definitely true, thats the only thing that could stand in front of him winning the best player award. Barring any injuries i can't think of any reason why he wouldn't play well with Barcelona though.

As for the WC, he wasn't at his best, but he had a somewhat decent World Cup, not by his standards of course, by his standards he was mediocre, but in comparison with other players, and especially the big players, he did rather well. He was played as a playmaker, behind the two strikers and he created a lot of goals, so technically he wasn't so bad. Plus, don't forget he was included in the top ten players of the WC.

You will never accept that Torres is a diver, will you?
He's a diver.

He didn't dive in that incident however.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Its hard to define who a diver is and whose not(unless its a clear case ala Drogba and Cristiano), and we could debate all day about it and not get anywhere, because theres no way for someone to prove the other wrong, but my impression about Torres is that he does tend to fall to ground on the slightest contact at times, and he does try to con the referee and make a meal out of challenges ala your typical Spanish player.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Its hard to define who a diver is and whose not(unless its a clear case ala Drogba and Cristiano), and we could debate all day about it and not get anywhere, because theres no way for someone to prove the other wrong, but my impression about Torres is that he does tend to fall to ground on the slightest contact at times, and he does try to con the referee and make a meal out of challenges ala your typical Spanish player.
I've seen him play far more than you and I can't really think of a time when he's made a meal of a challenge. Other than some occasional courtesy ground rolling, which everyone does.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Respect to estrada he went out for what was a clearly a undersved red card but he went out without complaing unlike the whining spanish or other bigger contingent would have done.

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #57
    I disagree. Xavi deserve it much more than Messi.

It's a shame that players like Messi get too much recognition but hard-workers and masterminds like Xavi don't.

Why people do not appreciate the real work and leave the pony show aside for a while? Xavi has won everything, seriously, what more is he supposed to do to win this award?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    If we're talking about winning things, then surely Sneider should be the one to win the ballon d'or. He won every possible club trophy this season, and reached the final of the WC by being the top scorer too.

Messi was much more influential for Barcelona, he was more consistent and he just conquered the Liga and some teams in the CL. Xavi is an amazing player, but i'm afraid he's second best to Ronaldo and Messi, those two are imo freaks of nature.

OP
    Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #59
    I wasn't referring to previous season. I was pointing at the fact that Xavi has done a lot more than any other player since few years now and hasn't won Fifa player of the year award nor Ballon d'Or. Out of each 15matches the man probably disappoints in 1, maximum.

I know what Sneijder has done this season and he should be named in top three players but I at least expect Xavi to be one of the top 3players as-well.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Xavi probably won't win it, even though it will be deserved if he does and apart from Sneijder maybe, no-one else can moan about it.

The thing is, coaches and captains vote too for the award this year. Normally one would expect these guys to know their job but looking at how they vote usually, I doubt many will prefer Xavi. I mean, the captain of one Asian NT (Vietnam?) keeps giving the maximum 5 points to Beckham every single year and 4 points to Giggs.

Some votes are also pre-reserved. Lucio as captain of Brazil, Pandev as Macedonian and Eto'o as the captain of Cameroon will surely give the maximum points to Sneijder. Mascherano will vote Messi etc.

This shit is becoming more of a Eurovision song contest where you know where the votes from certain players and coaches will go.

In years when there is a player head and shoulders above the rest, there is no problem, but this time there will be. I like France football award because sport journalists vote. Now when they'll unite both awards I don't know what to expect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)