JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The good signings Marotta made, in terms of making an impact at Sampdoria, pretty much: Aimo Diana, Max Tonetto, Giulio Falcone, Gennaro Delvecchio, Fabio Quagliarella, Christian Maggio, Paolo Sammarco, Hugo Campagnaro, Luca Castelazzi, Antonio Cassano, Andrea Poli, Giampaolo Pazzini. Lot's of other decent players, some poor ones, but then it is a club with a modest budget, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
He's done a good job at signing players for a club like Samp, no disrespect to them. Whether he can do a good job at signing players for us is another question.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Pietro Leonardi is good, but saying he is 10 times better than Marotta is so wrong. I like how Leonardi spot the talent like K. Asamoah, Zapata, Inler, D'Agostino, Sanchez for Udinese back then but at least Marotta can build a group of players that can be cohesive as a team.. Talent wise Ziegler, Pazzini, Marilungo, etc is not better but they can play as a team. So you can say Marotta better tahn Leonardi too
Agreed, anybody can do what Leonardi does with a dozen scouts in South America, he buys individuals but it's a team game and Udinese never do anything. Udinese are basically a farm for other teams to come in and pick their players up after a few seasons, they are run simply to make money by picking up foreign players for peanuts and selling them on for extortionate prices. People who want Juve to sign lots of foreign kids in a similar fashion should ready themselves for mid table finishes too.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Agreed, anybody can do what Leonardi does with a dozen scouts in South America
Geez...yeah, I'm sure anybody can manage to buy a player like Kwadwo for 700-800k euros and get his price up to 14mln+ in one season. Building up a team based on individuals? No way, they are a mid table club and that's it.

If Samp is up it doesn't have to mean that they are balanced and leaning towards success because of good transfers.

Pietri made great moves for a team like Parma.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
Marotta: Juventus? its a challenge, there is a lot of work. flatters me and makes me want to experiment. A challenge to the fullest. For my part there is great optimism. "

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Atleast he knows there's a lot of work. Let's hope he realises he's at Juventus now, and should only go for the best, not mediocrity.

Starting by leaving Del Neri at Samp.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Atleast he knows there's a lot of work. Let's hope he realises he's at Juventus now, and should only go for the best, not mediocrity.

Starting by leaving Del Neri at Samp.
That is key. It seemed that the people who were there before him forgot that Juventus is one of the biggest out there.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Signing players for Sampdoria, Palermo, Udinese and signing players for Juve is different.

So it's useless trying to look at someone's qualities by looking at which young players he signed for a mid-table team.
It's different when you seat on a table representing Juve.
Scouts do the scouting and these guys like Marotta are then negotiating the transfers and trying to sign the players the scouts recommended.
You can't blame a guy like Marotta for not signing Pastore or Sanchez, if his scouts didn't tell him that such players exist at all.

What's important for these directors are their connections, their negotiating skills etc.
If Marotta has good connections, if he's in good terms with agents, club owners etc, then he will help. If not, then lets hope for the best.

But right now I don't think anyone of us here can tell if this guy is good at what he does or he isn't.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Geez...yeah, I'm sure anybody can manage to buy a player like Kwadwo for 700-800k euros and get his price up to 14mln+ in one season. Building up a team based on individuals? No way, they are a mid table club and that's it.

If Samp is up it doesn't have to mean that they are balanced and leaning towards success because of good transfers.

Pietri made great moves for a team like Parma.
His price is only €14m because Udinese say it is ;) Likewise they could say €1, €5m or €100m. Udinese's players all jump in value only because they are going from obscurity to a team who doesn't need to sell players. If Livorno had signed him and he had the exactly same season you could get him for €7m. It does make you wonder where Udinese's money goes to though, sending scouts to every corner of the world perhaps. It's a team with no ambition who are happy to be a farm side.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
I focused on 'challange, a lot of work and optimism' the first time I read that post.

I agree though, what does that mean? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 200)