baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Beware of the 'grass is greener' school of thought. There are few DS' in Italy who have experience of working at such a club, so it's just the same gamble. 'They must be better'. No, they could certainly be worse.

Marotta's position remains the same now as it did in September, October, November and will through to May, in the summer he'll surely have CL football to work with and that demands quality. In KO football you need it even more.

Not signing big players for big money and wages doesn't bother one bit for this season. What bothers me is the number of signings, when I think resources and focus could have been channeled better. I'm not talking about not signing Matri, Pepe, Padoin and Elia means Agüero, because football simply does not work like that, rather players in between those two levels, so the grade in quality doesn't have to make so big a leap.

I completely agree. For me, more than anything, it has to be the way he's channelized his resources. I hate the fact that in two seasons, we've bought two full squads. It's just not done. Especially when you're a big club, it's that much more important to not be a revolving door because it can mess up the salary structure and everything around it. I don't have a problem if he signed Matri, Quag and Pepe. But I do have a problem if we go from Aguero to Vucinic, and Naingollan to Padoin in every mercato.

It's bit unhealthy, not just for the fans, but the finances of the club which he sometimes seems to be spending for the sake of it. Padoin and Boriello are perhaps the worst January window anyone can imagine in a title chasing season. It could be argued, what else was out there, and that's not what the rationale should be. If you cannot get acceptable quality do not make moves for the sake of it.

I keep hearing how he's doing well to clean up Secco's mess, but what people don't notice is, he's also clearing out his own. I keep going back to how he should've never touched Camo, Diego and Trezeguet. Think about all the money we spent on guys like Krasic, Elia, Quag, Pepe, Bonnucci etc., and then you'll see him trying to dispose them off too. Sure, it can happen for one season when you're learning the ropes, but you repeat those mistakes you're out of your depth. If it had to be one issue that makes Marrotta a talking point, its linking his ability or lack thereof with the resources at his disposal. Pretty shocking stats thus far.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Are we talking about the same Corvino who is essentially fired at Fiorentina? And Marino is currently at Atalanta. These are two SD's at clubs who have far different ambitions.

If everyone is talking about making a step up inquality in regards to players, shouldn't the same hold true for who the Sporting Director should be?

---------- Post added 19.03.2012 at 09:09 ----------

Again, they should be aiming higher than this.

Problem is, there are very few true quality SD's who are available.
Corvino's situation at Fiorentina seems more to do with overall frustration at the club than his ability to discover and sign decent talent. Marino is at Atalanta now, but that doesn't take away the fair amount of good work he did with bigger clubs like Roma, Udinese and most recently, Napoli. Going from C1 to a top 6 Serie A team in 6 years is a fair achievement. My question remains, what had Marrotta done over the years at qualified him for the job as SD here!? Besides one season of CL qualification and almost no champions signed or discovered in his long reign (besides Cassano who he should thank for being here), were guys like Corvino, Marino and Sabatini any less qualified in that aspect? I don't think so.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
So you wanted him to buy Nainggolan for 15M when he would be a bench player? But in every post you are crying that we wasted money on bench players?

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
So you wanted him to buy Nainggolan for 15M when he would be a bench player? But in every post you are crying that we wasted money on bench players?
Nope. Its not about Aguero for 40m, or Naingollan for 15. It's about Boriello on an option to buy for 8m when you could get Cassano for half that the previous season. Naingollan may not be quality worth 15m some may argue, but what is Bonnucci? Big clubs need guys who know how to invest the money in the right kind of quality and build the rest of the team through shrewd moves. One way of doing that, is looking beyond the peninsula. Marrotta fails miserably, there too.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Nope. Its not about Aguero for 40m, or Naingollan for 15. It's about Boriello on an option to buy for 8m when you could get Cassano for half that the previous season. Naingollan may not be quality worth 15m some may argue, but what is Bonnucci? Big clubs need guys who know how to invest the money in the right kind of quality and build the rest of the team through shrewd moves. One way of doing that, is looking beyond the peninsula. Marrotta fails miserably, there too.
This doesn't really answer what I asked.

But I'd like to remind you of a shrewd move he has made. Perhaps you have seen Andrea Pirlo in a game or two for us recently? How much did we pay again? Nothing I believe? Does that qualify as shrewd enough for you or perhaps a great SD like Baldini would have Pirlo paying to play for us.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It's one thing criticising bad moves but Marotta and any other DS doesn't have the ability to look into the future, so the question to ask yourself is whether you were in favour or not of a particular transfer when it happened, not months or years down the line. Because that is when those guys (with the aid of others) have to make a call.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
This doesn't really answer what I asked.

But I'd like to remind you of a shrewd move he has made. Perhaps you have seen Andrea Pirlo in a game or two for us recently? How much did we pay again? Nothing I believe? Does that qualify as shrewd enough for you or perhaps a great SD like Baldini would have Pirlo paying to play for us.

What did you ask?

That's right. Youd expect one Pirlo after signing another 22 for a combined worth of what makes us one of the biggest market spenders in Europe with less than half the quality of those who spent as much.

What about it didn't you get?

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
I asked if you wanted to spend 15M on Nainggolan to be a bench player?

Because in your post you were upset we went from him to Padoin.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
It's one thing criticising bad moves but Marotta and any other DS doesn't have the ability to look into the future, so the question to ask yourself is whether you were in favour or not of a particular transfer when it happened, not months or years down the line. Because that is when those guys (with the aid of others) have to make a call.
Correct. My question remains though, what made Marrotta stand apart from the other candidates he was up against? This isn't to say they would've fared better or worse, just to understand how he would qualify for this job. I think Baldini for example, would've approached the task a little differently because of his experience with Roma, who are structured closer to Juve than Samp. But that apart, I think he was offered the job and turned it down. There was somebody else offered the job too, and they turned it down. I forget his name. Melo!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 19, Guests: 32)