Mar 3, 2014
There has got to be a change in transfer strategy going forward. Considering we have a POLICY that says we will sell everyone who wants out, we need to make sure we buy players who won't want out. This policy is dangerous because we lose all leverage in transfer negotiations. PSG for example will say "screw you", and demand the same price or say "not for sale". We drive the player to the airport.

If this is our practice: we must buy Italian, and supplement with players who want to play in Italy or show signs of being less tempted by a little bit more money.

Would I be ok with selling players like:
-Sandro
-Dybala
-Higuain
-Pjanic
-Khedira
-Alves
-Mandzukic

and replacing them with players like:
-Insigne
-Belotti
-Bernardeschi
-Verratti
-Pellegrini
-Florenzi
-Donnarumma
-Romagnoli

of course

You can supplement that core with a few foreigners. But domestic players are much less of a flight risk. It also makes the national team much better.

Jun 6, 2015
There has got to be a change in transfer strategy going forward. Considering we have a POLICY that says we will sell everyone who wants out, we need to make sure we buy players who won't want out. This policy is dangerous because we lose all leverage in transfer negotiations. PSG for example will say "screw you", and demand the same price or say "not for sale". We drive the player to the airport.

If this is our practice: we must buy Italian, and supplement with players who want to play in Italy or show signs of being less tempted by a little bit more money.

-Sandro
-Dybala
-Higuain
-Pjanic
-Khedira
-Alves
-Mandzukic

-Insigne
-Belotti
-Bernardeschi
-Verratti
-Pellegrini
-Florenzi
-Donnarumma
-Romagnoli

of course

You can supplement that core with a few foreigners. But domestic players are much less of a flight risk. It also makes the national team much better.
This is bullshit and will thankfully never happen. That team is so mediocre compared to our current one.

- - - Updated - - -

He said max a fine, not max is fine.
:disagree: You just don't understand the slang Mark uses.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011

-Sandro
-Dybala
-Higuain
-Pjanic
-Khedira
-Alves
-Mandzukic

-Insigne
-Belotti
-Bernardeschi
-Verratti
-Pellegrini
-Florenzi
-Donnarumma
-Romagnoli

of course

:rofl::baus:

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006

-Sandro
-Dybala
-Higuain
-Pjanic
-Khedira
-Alves
-Mandzukic

-Insigne
-Belotti
-Bernardeschi
-Verratti
-Pellegrini
-Florenzi
-Donnarumma
-Romagnoli

of course

Yeah we need to change our transfer strategy after reaching 2 CL finals in 3 years

And switching to a focus on more Italian players should get us back to another finals.

:lol: Nationalistic transfer strategy :lol:

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Apparently if we apply extra bit of lube around our aris's we won't feel much pain. Obviously the main word here is the first one in this post.

Mar 3, 2014
This is bull$#@! and will thankfully never happen. That team is so mediocre compared to our current one.

- - - Updated - - -

:disagree: You just don't understand the slang Mark uses.
How is it bs? Do you deny that domestic players are easier to retain? That can be empirically proven! REALLY easily too.

For simplicity sake: Look at Bayern. They retain the majority of their players. Or look at our turnover over the last few years...the voluntary and involuntary departures.

Most of those players are under 25, and none are mediocre. The worst ones have high upside.
That wasn't a team by the way - without a doubt players like Pellegrini, and Romagnoli would be bench players.

I would fill the spots that can't be filled with domestic players with foreign players with the bench being nearly all domestic.

For example - I'd prefer a team like this that could grow as a team together and stay together for many years.

--------Insigne-------Belotti---------Bernardeschi--------
--------------Verratti---------Pjanic-------------------------
----------------------Marchisio----------------------------
Sandro-----Chiellini---------Bonucci-------Florenzi-------
-----------------------Buffon-------------------------------

Bench could be: Pellegrini, Kean, Romagnoli, Rugani, Caldara, Donnarumma.

Ultimately:
Depending on how you allocate the players - there are three positions that you cannot fill domestically.
-Leftback for sure. So try and keep Sandro.
-Midfielders: Basically, would need 1 to 2 imported midfielders. Guys like Fabinho, N'Zonzi, Pjanic are all great depending on needs. Perhaps an attacking midfielder as well - whether that is a winger like Douglas Costa or Cuadrado or a playmaker like James, would depend on needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah we need to change our transfer strategy after reaching 2 CL finals in 3 years

And switching to a focus on more Italian players should get us back to another finals.

:lol: Nationalistic transfer strategy :lol:
That's Bayern's strategy and turnover of players is very low. It's a moot point anyways because unlike the Bundesliga, our rivals will do anything to NOT sell us their players, so it isn't realistic.

There are still many challenges, and what works in the past will not necessarily work in the future:
-We're still losing ground against England in terms of top line growth
-Serie A is getting more competitive
-Relying on finding Paul Pogbas is not a sustainable a strategy.
-We sell any player who wants to leave. Meaning that everytime our team goes far, the demand for our players increases, which significantly increases the risk of the team being dismantled each year that the team does well.

You have 2 choices:
1)
-Become tougher with players
-Open up the pocket book more

2)
-Focus on domestic players
-Supplement with foreign players when needed.
-Focus on academy

Sjaban

Dec 29, 2012

-Sandro
-Dybala
-Higuain
-Pjanic
-Khedira
-Alves
-Mandzukic

-Insigne
-Belotti
-Bernardeschi
-Verratti
-Pellegrini
-Florenzi
-Donnarumma
-Romagnoli

of course

:lol:

Selling each one of our key players, and replacing them with a bunch of unproven peasants who don't even know what it's like to perform at the highest level (with the exception of Verratti)

Mar 3, 2014
:lol:

Selling each one of our key players, and replacing them with a bunch of unproven peasants who don't even know what it's like to perform at the highest level (with the exception of Verratti)
Note: I said "like". You don't turnover your whole team at once. I wouldn't want to sell Pjanic and replace him with Pellegrini. That would be stupid. But if I could pocket 140 euro from Dybala, and sign Insigne for 90, I'd do it.

Also:
Insigne, Verratti, Bernardeschi, Belotti, Florenzi are very good players.

Insigne is probably the most underrated player in Serie A.

- - - Updated - - -

Just once it would be nice to go through a summer and not sell a first team player and instead build on the existing team.
That's the problem. 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards. Vultures from the EPL are ready as soon as we smell success. Arguably reaching the UCL final is the worst thing to keep the team together. If we want continuity, there has got to be more of a focus on domestic players...

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I understand the motivation part, I really do because I do believe that without motivation teams can't keep the same high level. And we're very vulnerable to that because we've had so much success the last 6 years. But at the same time we can't have a policy where players could just ask to leave and get their wish granted.

It's really difficult because you don't want to keep players around that are not motivated because they were forced to stay around. The only solution to this would be to offer them new and improved contracts. But that shit clearly isn't what our board wants to see being used by agents and players on a regular basis.

Mar 3, 2014
I understand the motivation part, I really do because I do believe that without motivation teams can't keep the same high level. But at the same time we can't have a policy where players could just ask to leave and get their wish granted.

It's really difficult because you don't want to keep players around that are not motivated because they were forced to stay around. The only solution to this would be to offer them new and improved contracts. But that $#@! clearly isn't what our board wants to see being used by agents and players on a regular basis.
Gotta focus on players who are likely to stay then. Whether that's an Italian player or a player who has played in Italy for many years, both are options. I am convinced Cuadrado will never be tempted by a foreign league again after Chelsea. He will be here until his deal ends I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)