Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
:agree:

In the mid 90es, after the new mgmt at that time took over following the nine years of drought, when Juventus couldn't win Serie A and therefore didn't participate in the CL, as back then winning Serrie A was prerequisite for the entry, Juve started to operate differently. The Agnelli's stopped investing into the club, self-sufficient model was adopted and big purchases were avoided, unless we had previously managed to sell as is the case with Zidane and astronomical fee that we had received. Later on, once Juventus established themselves again as a dominant force both in Italy and Europe, managed to increase their income, they were in position to spend significantly on the market. Players like Emerson and Viera for instance were brought for 25-30m each.

Juve's priority for the last few years has been reaching that self-sufficient model again, and in the process we've managed to build formidable team, one capable for great achievements. The main focus has been to consolidate our finances, feat almost achieved and that is without neglecting the sporting aspect. Our latest succcess is testament to that. For that very reason I can't see the need for incessant complaints by some. We spend reasonably every summer, improve the team, compete for trophies and keep our books in order. Can we blame Marotta or the members of our board for someone's unreasonable expectations?
Exactly. It seems that little by little Juventus is aiming to get there. Theres hurry, but we shouldnt try to go some steps ahead of our agenda forcefully without thinking about the financial consequences.

After a couple positive runs in the CL, after the new sponsors and TV deals kick in and maybe a sell here and there...im pretty sure we will be able to go into the next step and now compete in the "Sanchez/Verrati/Cavani" range deals. IM pretty sure is doable.

Typical for every club the owners dont want to spend...
I dont blame them. Spending like crazy to see your toys playing and winning or losing is stupid business. Thats practically what we did in the past and what Berlusconi and Morati kept doing until they coudnt anymore. Thats so archaic.
You practically get nothing from it, maybe only to see your penis grow stronger as you win the league.
Unless you are a filthy rich sheik who doesnt care about losing money, i dont see the sense on this.

Im totally on synch with the board and their view that the Business should be self sustainable, and that buys should be made within the parameters of the business capacity.

We need to at least try to get close to being a really global force with millions of followers like madrid and Barca are. Of course, for that to happen, serie A needs to improve too. But for the time being, we are alone on this and the only thing we can do is to perform in the CL to market ourselves and earn money in the process. Thats the only thing that is within our power.

And I dont remember who was the tuz member who did.... but some months ago he was being all blindfanboy in his defence of Conte, stating that he doesnt cared for the CL and he preferred Juventus to win the serie A infinite times even at the cost of european embarrastment. he coudnt be more wrong. THE CL IS THE END AL BE ALL for an european powerhouse. You have no idea!. Nowadays, even girls who know shid about football and doesnt care... are aware of the CL and the big clashes of teams.

The CL is big, and theres wheres the money is.

blacknwhite

Aug 7, 2014
I dont blame them. Spending like crazy to see your toys playing and winning or losing is stupid business. Thats practically what we did in the past and what Berlusconi and Morati kept doing until they coudnt anymore. Thats so archaic.
You practically get nothing from it, maybe only to see your penis grow stronger as you win the league.
Unless you are a filthy rich sheik who doesnt care about losing money, i dont see the sense on this.
Berlusconi got something from it. I dare to say he never was really interested in football and he couldn't care less about Milan or football. He just used Milan to gain political power by getting popularity/votes and finally dropped Milan as the club was no longer of any use to him.

in my eyes it isnt a coincidence that he suddenly stopped spending in 2012 just at the very time his political career was over. in december 2013 he was thrown out of the senate finally, so he cannot get any political office anymore for lifetime (?).

berlusconi used Milan always to achieve his own political goals only. he has never been just a romantic guy or fanatic fan like moratti was for example.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Berlusconi got something from it. I dare to say he never was really interested in football and he couldn't care less about Milan or football. He just used Milan to gain political power by getting popularity/votes and finally dropped Milan as the club was no longer of any use to him.

in my eyes it isnt a coincidence that he suddenly stopped spending in 2012 just at the very time his political career was over. in december 2013 he was thrown out of the senate finally, so he cannot get any political office anymore for lifetime (?).

berlusconi used Milan always to achieve his own political goals only. he has never been just a romantic guy or fanatic fan like moratti was for example.
Maybe he is interested in football like almost every italian. But he is a rotten man with no principles.
And like you said, he doesnt care in the end about the team in the same way men like Andrea and Elkann would.

For the agnelli/elkann, the brand is like a family treasure and im pretty sure they feel obliged to at the very least get close to what the ones before them did.
Berlusca doesnt seem to have the drive to raise the team in this difficult moment.

blacknwhite

Aug 7, 2014
Maybe he is interested in football like almost every italian. But he is a rotten man with no principles.
And like you said, he doesnt care in the end about the team in the same way men like Andrea and Elkann would.

For the agnelli/elkann, the brand is like a family treasure and im pretty sure they feel obliged to at the very least get close to what the ones before them did.
Berlusca doesnt seem to have the drive to raise the team in this difficult moment.
:tup: well said!

agnelli/elkann DO really care about our club, berlusconi does not about Milan in my opinion. I dont like inter, but even Moratti would never handle his club like berlusconi. moratti is like a little child and maybe the biggest interista on earth himself, he always gave everything for inter. he spent hundreds of millions till the financial crisis hit his oil-business as well and he finally wasnt able to carry on this way of crazy spending. he drew a conclusion and sold the club in the end.

berlusconi on the other hand does not realize when its time to sell the club.

im pretty happy that our owners are the agnellis and not guys like berlusconi. :spinning:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
And I dont remember who was the tuz member who did.... but some months ago he was being all blindfanboy in his defence of Conte, stating that he doesnt cared for the CL and he preferred Juventus to win the serie A infinite times even at the cost of european embarrastment. he coudnt be more wrong. THE CL IS THE END AL BE ALL for an european powerhouse. You have no idea!. Nowadays, even girls who know shid about football and doesnt care... are aware of the CL and the big clashes of teams.

The CL is big, and theres wheres the money is.
Are you referring to me here? I never once said anything of the sort. I did say Juve will always target Serie A first, and CL second, and rightly, we should. Especially seeing as there are only two guaranteed spots into the CL out of Italy right now, and the third team has to qualify for it during preseason prep which is really a terrible situation to be in. More important than CL success, is making sure we qualify for it each and every year. With our project and our financial situation missing out on it for a single year would be a catastrophe, in terms of both attracting star players, keeping ours, and the money lost. So... if we sacrifice position in the Serie A table for say getting to the SFs instead of the R16 or QFs, well, that's a terrible idea in my opinion. Now, last year, we could easily have rotated more for European play, especially during the Europa League. And even early in the season for the CL group, a good rotation against some of the minnows we played around our first CL matches really should have happened. Conte was a little silly about that stuff. I defended him, and supported his targeting of Serie A first, and CL second, but he went overboard with prioritizing Serie A over CL. We need to find a balance, where we can put enough into Serie A that we win quite a few scudettos, but more importantly, never drop out of the top two spots (third would be alright in a desperate situation).

Serie A top 2, still has priority over getting far in CL though. Getting out of group should be a given, regardless of what we're doing in Serie A. Resting key players for CL elimination should only happen if we're solidly in a top 2 spot in Serie A, or playing the worst teams in the league. I'd hope this would be seen as common sense.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
IT is a privilege to have a team in our level.
Most of the owners who have such a team, do not expect to make profits out of it, they rather see it as an investment that can get benefits and help their profits in other, indirect ways.
The worst possible way that one owner can exploit a club of our calibre, is to inherit it, or buy it on oe of the less prestigious moments of its history and then follow this tactic of milking the name of club, without investing more than he can profit.

Anyways, i dont really believe that this is the case in our situation, maybe it is only partially true, meaning that they do invest cash, but they are trying to limit this investment.
There was one time in our history, when they shold invest, in order to keep more of our star players and profit in a couple of years with more titles, but they dint.
Our main concern now is the inefficient way we handle our budget.
We make no good profit from sales, which limits our budget furthermore, we overpay for some players that dont offer much quality (which is partially compensated by the free agents we are stealing)
but whats worse is the ammount if mediocre 15mil players we are gathering instead of one or two of 25-30mil.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Most of the owners who have such a team, do not expect to make profits out of it, they rather see it as an investment that can get benefits and help their profits in other, indirect ways.
The worst possible way that one owner can exploit a club of our calibre, is to inherit it, or buy it on oe of the less prestigious moments of its history and then follow this tactic of milking the name of club, without investing more than he can profit.

Anyways, i dont really believe that this is the case in our situation, maybe it is only partially true, meaning that they do invest cash, but they are trying to limit this investment.
There was one time in our history, when they shold invest, in order to keep more of our star players and profit in a couple of years with more titles, but they dint.
We make no good profit from sales, which limits our budget furthermore, we overpay for some players that dont offer much quality (which is partially compensated by the free agents we are stealing)
but whats worse is the ammount if mediocre 15mil players we are gathering instead of one or two of 25-30mil.
well said compadre

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
te thing is... i dont remember if it was you :p
All's well that ends well.

:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

A great post by Cronios. Strange times indeed.

I don't understand how it can be argued we are too poor to have more than a net spend of 1 mil euros over the past two years. The board certainly can invest a little more than that without risk of the club falling afoul of FFP or going bankrupt. According to Transfermarkt we spent 34.5 mil and earned 46.4 mil in transfers last summer and winter. And this summer we spent 36.8 mil and earned 23.5 mil in the transfer market. Which works out to a net spend on transfers of 1.4 mil. Seriously... How are we this poor? I know we have a project to increase revenue and become more sustainable, but is this really all we can afford to spend? I seriously doubt this. If we end up purchasing Pereyra and Romulo after their loans, our net spend will be in the region of 20 mil. Depressing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)