Giants walk out after Lega vote (1 Viewer)

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
Giants walk out after Lega vote Tuesday 4 September, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parma’s Tommaso Ghirardi beat Juventus chief Giovanni Cobolli Gigli to the Lega Calcio vote, prompting the five big clubs to walk out.

The union of all the Serie A and B clubs is reaching meltdown after today’s surprise election and Milan general manager Adriano Galliani warned: “We are seeking legal advice.”

The election for a sixth counsellor to join Torino’s Urbano Cairo, Lazio’s Claudio Lotito, Giampaolo Pozzo of Udinese, Livorno President Aldo Spinelli and Atalanta’s Ivan Ruggeri was held today.

It was expected to be Juventus man Cobolli Gigli (pictured), but instead Parma patron Ghirardi won the vote 11-8.

“With this failed election of Cobolli Gigli, there are no representatives of the five big clubs in the council, because Rosella Sensi is the vice-President without a vote and Massimo Moratti and myself, as Federation counsellors, have no vote either,” explained Milan’s Galliani.

“We believe this council does not represent all of Serie A, as 16 per cent of the fans support 15 clubs, but the 84 per cent of supporters in the stadiums will always lose a vote now, as we are in the minority. So we left.”

In a shock move, Milan, Inter, Juventus, Roma and Napoli walked out of this evening’s Lega Calcio meeting.

“We certainly won’t sit here impotently,” added Galliani. “Even if we have to change some things, we’ll still be in the minority and can’t get a vote. We have already considered a course of action, but the lawyers suggested we keep it to ourselves for the moment.”

The main problem with this set-up is who decides on the division of pay-per-view television rights and the funds handed over to the smaller Serie A and B clubs.

“It is a shame, as I believe the side with the most fans should be able to give its contribution in a time where there are so many important decisions to be made,” said Cobolli Gigli.

Channel 4

Buy on AliExpress.com

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
Giants walk out after Lega vote Tuesday 4 September, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parma’s Tommaso Ghirardi beat Juventus chief Giovanni Cobolli Gigli to the Lega Calcio vote, prompting the five big clubs to walk out.

The union of all the Serie A and B clubs is reaching meltdown after today’s surprise election and Milan general manager Adriano Galliani warned: “We are seeking legal advice.”

The election for a sixth counsellor to join Torino’s Urbano Cairo, Lazio’s Claudio Lotito, Giampaolo Pozzo of Udinese, Livorno President Aldo Spinelli and Atalanta’s Ivan Ruggeri was held today.

It was expected to be Juventus man Cobolli Gigli (pictured), but instead Parma patron Ghirardi won the vote 11-8.

“With this failed election of Cobolli Gigli, there are no representatives of the five big clubs in the council, because Rosella Sensi is the vice-President without a vote and Massimo Moratti and myself, as Federation counsellors, have no vote either,” explained Milan’s Galliani.

“We believe this council does not represent all of Serie A, as 16 per cent of the fans support 15 clubs, but the 84 per cent of supporters in the stadiums will always lose a vote now, as we are in the minority. So we left.”

In a shock move, Milan, Inter, Juventus, Roma and Napoli walked out of this evening’s Lega Calcio meeting.

“We certainly won’t sit here impotently,” added Galliani. “Even if we have to change some things, we’ll still be in the minority and can’t get a vote. We have already considered a course of action, but the lawyers suggested we keep it to ourselves for the moment.”

The main problem with this set-up is who decides on the division of pay-per-view television rights and the funds handed over to the smaller Serie A and B clubs.

“It is a shame, as I believe the side with the most fans should be able to give its contribution in a time where there are so many important decisions to be made,” said Cobolli Gigli.

Channel 4

1) Why are two of the least trustworthy characters of serie A, federation councillors? Esp as uncle fester was found "Guilty at the calciopoli. :confused:

2) We all know why the "smaller" clubs voted Gigli out - they want a bigger share of the "TV rights" funds. :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I am really surprised that there aren't more comments on this. IMO, this seems like a pretty huge deal/story...

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I am really surprised that there aren't more comments on this. IMO, this seems like a pretty huge deal/story...
There isn't enough information to know what is really going on. That and the fact I'm not familiar with the running of the Italian League is why I don't feel I can comment.

I'll back Gigli, if he thinks he is acting in Juventus' best interest.

Wraith

Sep 1, 2006
I'm not sure what's really going on here - but I hope it doesn't turn into a fiasco where Serie A games aren't being broadcast, like the problem they just had in Spain.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
i guess ppl here just accepted that controversy will always surround italian football and its just like anything else.

or they got bored

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
This seems like a bigger issue than it's made out to be, but it's still not clear what it all means. I know it's bad, but how bad is it?

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
Is surprising how people didnt relize the importance of this situation. I mean, this is having to do with how the monies are shared for the seie A teams. Having this counsil in hands of the lesser teams, will mean less money for the bigger teams about TV pay-per-view right.....can you guess who will be the one who will suffer the bigger money loss ? yeah, you guess it......

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
yeah but if the smaller teams get more money, they will end up improving ther team because they can afford to keep their players/get better ones = a better standard league with more competitive teams. In the longer run this may improve the whole league because a more competitive league means more fans and more tv stations that cover the league.... and that means more money for everyone. So in the short run it may hurt the big teams but if planned carefully this could be better for the league in the long run imo. Does anyone agree here?

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
yeah but if the smaller teams get more money, they will end up improving ther team because they can afford to keep their players/get better ones = a better standard league with more competitive teams. In the longer run this may improve the whole league because a more competitive league means more fans and more tv stations that cover the league.... and that means more money for everyone. So in the short run it may hurt the big teams but if planned carefully this could be better for the league in the long run imo. Does anyone agree here?
i think you've got it exactly right

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I agree.. The problem with the italian football is that money is running elsewhere. The italian league is not as apealing for players as it used to be 5-6 years ago.
The only two clubs who have proper financial backers are Inter and AC Milan. Juventus have always had good finances and that was the secret of being able to afford a certain level of players. Since the Morattipoli our financial base has been distroyed, and for us to rebuilt it again we'll need years of hard work and acheivements.
If you look at the EPL you'll find that even middle class teams such as Man City are being bought by billionares who want to invest in the club. Meaning pouring in more money. Players will start to fled to England to get paid well. You can't blame Chiellini for thinking seriously of going to Man City when he's receiving less than a million a year at Juventus.

The only way for a team, beside's the milan based clubs, to maintain a decent competitive financial base is TO WIN. Compare what Juve are spending and have spent in the past 15 years to what Moratti or Berlusconi have spent on Inter and AC respectively. You'll notice that Juventus are spending much less. Why? because they cannot afford it. Thats even when Juve are winning most of scudetti or the coppa or the supper cup, in addition to what they manage to grab in europe..

Putting the big teams in cousil means that the money will always be in the hands of the likes of Moratti and Berlusconi. This way it will be more beneficiary to the rest of the league.
The problem is Juventus. This the current vote Juventus will end up getting less money when they need it the the most..

Its all on our lads' shoulders now to win games and ATLEAST reach the CL.
With this vote, competing for the scudetto is a must.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
The biggest reason why foreginers are buy clubs in England is that the clubs have their own stadiums (mostly) unlike in Italy and other countries. I watched documentary about that.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
The biggest reason why foreginers are buy clubs in England is that the clubs have their own stadiums (mostly) unlike in Italy and other countries. I watched documentary about that.
Also the TV deal is huge.

Each EPL team gets about £60m from TV every season.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I don't think that many of new buyers are buying clubs to make a profit just look at Chelsea and Man City however on the other hand we have Man. And also preimership clubs are easiest to buy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)