Gianluigi Buffon (36 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Fully understand Gigi after his explanation, only thing I disagree with there is continuing to throw shade at the ref and talking to him like he is a kid lol.

Definitely off the rails tho haha, tells you how important this game was to him when he is shaken to the core by it. He talks exactly like a crazy Juventino friend of mine, unhinged, and as lovely and enchanting the extra passion and bravado can be, it's not a good look for a leader and professional to be all in his feels like this.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
It certainly does seem a bit out of character, Buffon has always been an emotional person and I think some of that has just been held back by what a wise, experienced and professional footballer he is.

But given the context it is totally understandable that he boiled over. That some of the human was showing through the professional mask.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
All this is exacerbated by the fact that he wont win CL in his lifetime atleast as a player.

He should retire with dignity. Win a Coppa , league and call it quits rather than being remembered for this.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Speaking after the match Agnelli accused Oliver of "total chaos," questioning why VAR had not been used in the Champions League as yet.

"I see a series of countries that implemented VAR and I saw incidents that went against Italian clubs recently, such as the foul on Cuadrado, AC Milan at Arsenal and Juve tonight, proving we absolutely need VAR in the Champions League.

"This isn't about one or two points, but rather going forward in a massive tournament that brings so much money and prestige. We can't allow these incidents to occur.

"For some reason, the vanity of the refereeing designator is trying to scientifically prove he is unbiased and keeps assigning referees who are against Italian clubs."
Cristiano Ronaldo converted a 97th-minute penalty for Real to win it
Agnelli continued to slam referee Oliver, saying he lacked understanding of the moment, and should have understood the tie better following Paulo Dybala's sending off in the first leg a week ago.

He said: "Players make mistakes, so do referees, but this official completely lost control of the situation. A referee in Madrid for the quarter-final must have seen the first leg, realise the (Paulo) Dybala red card was excessive and understand the various situations.

"The referee tonight was in total chaos. It's a pity, the performance of the boys remains, we confirmed - as PSG did last season and Roma last night - you can come back from 3-0 down to turn things around. Incidents happen, the referee didn't understand the moment at all.

"The most important thing is we have the technology, it exists and is in use, so we have to bring it into the Champions League. The referee tonight, when he sees it back, will be the most disappointed person here to realise what happened."

Mar 10, 2009
I am proud of Buffon, there I said it! Why? Because hopefully it will bring some change. Although I do not approve of the death threats, I think Buffon going berserk will bring change. Maybe it'll be one of the cases that UEFA refer to when considering VAR and more experienced referees, for the future.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
All this is exacerbated by the fact that he wont win CL in his lifetime atleast as a player.

He should retire with dignity. Win a Coppa , league and call it quits rather than being remembered for this.
If he retires this season he'll exactly be remembered for this. That match was the most important moment of the season. How does winning Scudetto or coppa come even close?

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
If he retires this season he'll exactly be remembered for this. That match was the most important moment of the season. How does winning Scudetto or coppa come even close?
I'm saying overall, that shouldnt be remembered as one of the defining moments in his career.

He's gone completely berserk and lost his composure totally. Atleast Agnelli had some legitimate complaints about Italian teams being penalized by refs in Europe but Buffon on the other hand, a guy who's respected everywhere and a guy who has a 'classy' stature about him continues to rant about the referee. He would've lost some respect around many parts with this behaviour. We would understand his reaction but everyone else wouldnt share the same perspective as us.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Speaking after the match Agnelli accused Oliver of "total chaos," questioning why VAR had not been used in the Champions League as yet.

"I see a series of countries that implemented VAR and I saw incidents that went against Italian clubs recently, such as the foul on Cuadrado, AC Milan at Arsenal and Juve tonight, proving we absolutely need VAR in the Champions League.

"This isn't about one or two points, but rather going forward in a massive tournament that brings so much money and prestige. We can't allow these incidents to occur.

"For some reason, the vanity of the refereeing designator is trying to scientifically prove he is unbiased and keeps assigning referees who are against Italian clubs."
Cristiano Ronaldo converted a 97th-minute penalty for Real to win it
Agnelli continued to slam referee Oliver, saying he lacked understanding of the moment, and should have understood the tie better following Paulo Dybala's sending off in the first leg a week ago.

He said: "Players make mistakes, so do referees, but this official completely lost control of the situation. A referee in Madrid for the quarter-final must have seen the first leg, realise the (Paulo) Dybala red card was excessive and understand the various situations.

"The referee tonight was in total chaos. It's a pity, the performance of the boys remains, we confirmed - as PSG did last season and Roma last night - you can come back from 3-0 down to turn things around. Incidents happen, the referee didn't understand the moment at all.

"The most important thing is we have the technology, it exists and is in use, so we have to bring it into the Champions League. The referee tonight, when he sees it back, will be the most disappointed person here to realise what happened."
Nothing's wrong with this. I wish Buffon stuck to pointing out the inexperience of the ref and how ridiculous the red card was (And the penalty if he personally think it wasn't a clear one). The issue here is Gigi calling him an animal and a garbage bin in an official post-match interview! That was really shocking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 32)