Gianluigi Buffon (20 Viewers)

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Blaming Buffon :sergio:

Of course he should've come out. What kind of nonsense is that?!

- - - Updated - - -

:confused: :wth: He came out to try and narrow the angle, once he saw that Gomez was clean through thanks to Caceres losing his man and Ogbonna allowing the ball to bounce.
:agree: Logical thing to do.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
You don't come out when the opposition is going wide and he has two defenders closely chasing him. Just watch the replay to see Buffon's hesitation and then making the wrong decision to come out. It's clear. We all love Gigi but it's the truth.

Also, it's clear that Buffon doesn't trust Ogbonna and Caceres in defense. Which makes him do some unusual stuff that he doesn't usually do when Barzagli and Bonucci are on.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
You don't come out when the opposition is going wide and he has two defenders closely chasing him. Just watch the replay to see Buffon's hesitation and then making the wrong decision to come out. It's clear. We all love Gigi but it's the truth.

Also, it's clear that Buffon doesn't trust Ogbonna and Caceres in defense. Which makes him do some unusual stuff that he doesn't usually do when Barzagli and Bonucci are on.
Cacares was few meters away and showed no intention of following Gomez, while Ogbonna was left behind. What do you suggest? That he should have stayed on a goal line and let Gomez to comfortably pick side where to place his shot. Anyway it all happened in a matter of a few seconds and the most blame lies on our two defenders. I kind of agree with you there that he definitely feels less secure with those two in our line up. But Gomez, what a player on the other hand. WC finish right there.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
:confused: :wth: He came out to try and narrow the angle, once he saw that Gomez was clean through thanks to Caceres losing his man and Ogbonna allowing the ball to bounce.
That's the thing.

Even if Gomez had still got through on goal, if Caceres or Ogbonna had still been with him and putting pressure on him, I'd have looked for Buffon to stay on his line rather than committing himself.

As it was, I think it was a reasonable gamble from Buffon to try and close Gomez down.

Keep in mind that even with Buffon off his line, it took a brilliant bit of control and a sharp finish from Gomez to score.

Apr 8, 2013

His mistake IMO is actually previous to the goal. I mean, look at his "starting position". He's insanely wide and doesn't cover well the nearest post to Gomez. Out of position, I'd say. At that point, he's right to come out, closing him a bit of space, but it's still a pretty easy chance and a forward like Gomez can't have troubles to score that. However it was a nice action by Violamerda, a great assist and the stop/preparing of Gomez excellent. Matri would have probably chest-stopped it with his back to the goal and lost it-passed behind. Caceres should have done better, he loses big Mario's steps. I don't actually understand people blaming Ogbonna, the pass actually overpass him, it's too high for everyone to reach it, and Gomez is not his man. I'd add, it's remarkable that after the assist he does his best to repair Caceres' "damage" by trying to catch Gomez even if he's obiouvsly too much behind, and not his fault.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)