Gianluigi Buffon (49 Viewers)

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
Man, sometimes when I watch him play I actually get depressed. There will never be another like him.

Those saves tonight (particularly the one from Balotelli which he tipped onto the bar) were absolutely incredible. Just unreal for anyone, let alone a 38-year-old.

This guy has been one of the best goalkeepers in the world since pretty much his debut at 17. Over 20 years as the best - or one of the best - in your position - that's unbelievable, and probably unrepeatable.

Seriously, even non-Juve fans would struggle to name a top five of goalkeepers at any point in the last 20 years that didn't include Gigi. At various points, some (not me!) would have said there were other goalkeepers above him - Kahn, Casillas, Schmeichel, Cech, Neuer, Van Der Sar. But not a single one of them has shown Gigi's consistency.

In terms of all-time greats, there are many I haven't seen, but it seems to me that Gigi has been more consistent than all of them too.

Yashin: Had a bad World Cup in '62, and only ever played in the Soviet League.

Zoff: Only really came into proper legendary status a few years into his career, having been at Udinese and Mantova.

Banks: Never really played for a "top" club, and came out of retirement to play in NASL.

Schmeichel: Declined at the end of his career.

Has there ever been a consistent period where Gigi wasn't outstanding? Maybe a few months after his back surgery, if you're being harsh.

Most minutes played for Juve, most Italy caps, stayed with Juve in Serie B, eight Scudetti, a World Cup... He has to be the greatest of all time. We're lucky to be witnessing his career, and we should treasure every moment left in his career.

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
Man, sometimes when I watch him play I actually get depressed. There will never be another like him.

Those saves tonight (particularly the one from Balotelli which he tipped onto the bar) were absolutely incredible. Just unreal for anyone, let alone a 38-year-old.

This guy has been one of the best goalkeepers in the world since pretty much his debut at 17. Over 20 years as the best - or one of the best - in your position - that's unbelievable, and probably unrepeatable.

Seriously, even non-Juve fans would struggle to name a top five of goalkeepers at any point in the last 20 years that didn't include Gigi. At various points, some (not me!) would have said there were other goalkeepers above him - Kahn, Casillas, Schmeichel, Cech, Neuer, Van Der Sar. But not a single one of them has shown Gigi's consistency.

In terms of all-time greats, there are many I haven't seen, but it seems to me that Gigi has been more consistent than all of them too.

Yashin: Had a bad World Cup in '62, and only ever played in the Soviet League.

Zoff: Only really came into proper legendary status a few years into his career, having been at Udinese and Mantova.

Banks: Never really played for a "top" club, and came out of retirement to play in NASL.

Schmeichel: Declined at the end of his career.

Has there ever been a consistent period where Gigi wasn't outstanding? Maybe a few months after his back surgery, if you're being harsh.

Most minutes played for Juve, most Italy caps, stayed with Juve in Serie B, eight Scudetti, a World Cup... He has to be the greatest of all time. We're lucky to be witnessing his career, and we should treasure every moment left in his career.
Agree with you.From what keepers you mention only Neyer can reach Gigi's level.But not bow .In a quite a long time IF he plays like he plays now,All the other mentioned are very far from Gigi.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
There will be needed an unreal keeper to beat the consistency buffon has shown.

He is the best and will be for a very loooong time after he retires, hopefully.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
thats the two i've been thinking of. don't get me wrong - i don't say it were mistakes, i just have the feeling prime buffon could have saved those shots by simply catching the first shot, or by REALLY punching it away to the sidelines. his punching nowadays looks more like he wants to slow the ball down/let the ball drip off with his first touch, so he can go grab it afterwards.
Perhaps. But there's still no one I'd rather have starting for us.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just thinking about life without him
I try not to. I don't know how I'll be able to get over that.

I feel so, so bad for whoever has to replace him though. Could you imagine the weight that must carry? And in a position which demands perfection 100% of the time. It's going to be really, really rough for the first year or two, but hopefully just that.

adRHCP

Nov 7, 2012
Life will not be worth living

I try not to. I don't know how I'll be able to get over that.

I feel so, so bad for whoever has to replace him though. Could you imagine the weight that must carry? And in a position which demands perfection 100% of the time. It's going to be really, really rough for the first year or two, but hopefully just that.
It will be even harder than it was being #10 after Del Piero.

Perin? Donnarumma? What's up with Leali and Scuffet these days? I don't know who will be the successor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)