Gianluigi Buffon (48 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Buffon: I Never Considered Leaving

Gianluigi Buffon insists that he had an “infinite number of reasons” to stay at Juventus despite being heavily tipped for a mega-bucks move earlier this summer.

"First of all, after many years at this club, in this glorious team, to find a better level was practically impossible,” explained the World Cup winning goalkeeper, who put pen-to-paper on a five-year contact in July.

“I like the idea, the ambition of being able to construct something new and in these prestigious colours, as we did some time ago, he added. “If I lacked this hunger, then it would have been useless to have stayed."

Buffon concluded by claiming that he never truly thought about leaving the club that he has become such a vital part of since joining from Parma in 2001.

"I never considered the transfer market,” insisted the 29-year-old. “I had offers, but I won't say from who. Juve were always first on my mind."

goal.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forza Gigi, say it like it is!

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon spoke to SKY ahead of this season's Serie A debut at home against Livorno in Serie A.

Juventus and Italian international goalkeeper Gigi Buffon talked exclusively to SKY microphones on the eve of the first match of the season against Livorno.

On what he thinks of Ranieri's new Juventus side, he said: "I hope we don't lose the characteristics of the old Juve, that is, a team capable of doing well in difficult situations, and with enough individual quality to get the goals necessary to win. I think this kind of mentality should not be lost."

Recently he's had to pick up quite a few balls from the net, but as long as it happens in friendlies he is not worried: "Lately I made some calculations and I found out I've conceded 11 goals in six games and that's a lot. But I'm not worried, as long as they don't count it doesn't bother me."

Asked whether he believes the most difficult period is gone now, he responded: "I believe the most difficult period is behind us now. I think that for the people who remained it was good to spend one year in Serie B, because the satisfaction at being back is huge. I believe it will be a season of rebirth, for all of Italian football, considering that along with us also teams like Genoa and Napoli have found their way back to the top flight. These are teams who have made history in Italian football in the last century. I think we could not have asked for anything better. Now it's up to us not to ruin this beautiful game anymore."

Finally, on the question of what he would say to his son if he asked what football is about, he said: "It's a passion. A passion that you have inside. You're either born with the ball between your feet and you dream of becoming a footballer since childhood, or you will never be one."

goal.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
9/3/2007 9:20 PM

Buffon: Pure Adrenaline

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon talked about the character and winning spirit of the team.

Taking a good look at that picture of talismanic Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Bufffon might give an idea of the grit and determination flowing through the side at the moment, which allowed them to pick up an extremely hard fought win on the difficult pitch of Cagliari. The look on Buffon's eyes, and his unorthodox but heartfelt gesture toward the fans at the end of the match, are an expression of the extraordinary character of this team.

"That gesture was symbolic," Gigi said at the end, when the adreline flow had decreased. "Great saves? Yes, sometimes I make them, sometimes because I mean to, other times I'm lucky. But I don't want to brag about myself, the team is most important and this victory is thanks to everyone."

However, this time his share of the merit must be bigger than usual, because not only did he rescue the team with a number of fantastic saves, he also held back an out-of-control Giorgio Chiellini as the full back threatened to attack the referee in a way which would surely have penalised both him and the team. He also pushed the team forward with constant encouragements and advice to the players in front of him, like a true leader.

"Often I find myself encouraging the team, yelling, and it's not always nice what I say, but I do that to encourage everyone not to give up. I have a bit more experience than some of my team mates, so I can afford to do that," Buffon continued.

It is that experience that led the goalkeeper they call the best in the world to make the following significant consideration: "Winning this match the way we did it, is something only Juventus can do, because the management may change, the coach may change, the players or whatever else, but the soul of this team never changes, it's always the same, it transmits from player to player the will to win and come first, and it's that spirit which allows you to get victories like this."

Danilo Pochini
GOAL.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 34)