Gianluigi Buffon (8 Viewers)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
What makes you think we didn't want him to stay?
“If he wants to play, go and play. If he doesn't want to play, the door is always open for him at Juventus."

What Gigi did for Juve was not even comparable to what the likes of Ale, Nedved, Trez, etc did when we were relegated. He was the only player at his prime who decided to stay. Never won a CL with us, and now that Juve doesn't want him but a serious CL contender is giving him the chance (goes to show that he's still a top keeper) you expect him to decline it so he'd avoid playing/winning against Juve?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, but all the best to him.
I'd cheer for PSG so long as they are not playing Juve.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Okay don't wanna get in a debate about this, but honestly, if he has the opportunity to be a starter at a top European club he should not be resented for choosing to take it - especially after all he has given
“If he wants to play, go and play. If he doesn't want to play, the door is always open for him at Juventus."

What Gigi did for Juve was not even comparable to what the likes of Ale, Nedved, Trez, etc did when we were relegated. He was the only player at his prime who decided to stay. Never won a CL with us, and now that Juve doesn't want him but a serious CL contender is giving him the chance (goes to show that he's still a top keeper) you expect him to decline it so he'd avoid playing/winning against Juve?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd cheer for PSG so long as they are not playing Juve.
We obiously didn't count on him being a starter anymore, but it doesn't exactly mean we showed him the door. He's 40 years old not 31 and his game declined as expected at that age. He obviously felt he could give maybe another 2 years at high level (going by the rumored contract duration at PSG) and we disagreed. We brought Sczezny last season, giving him higher wages than a normal second keeper, so this gives us indication that it was planned for at least a year.

I would have really, really liked him going to Parma for example, even seeing him playing against us. It's all very different with PSG. I feel like we showed the door to Ale, not Gigi.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
We obiously didn't count on him being a starter anymore, but it doesn't exactly mean we showed him the door. He's 40 years old not 31 and his game declined as expected at that age. He obviously felt he could give maybe another 2 years at high level (going by the rumored contract duration at PSG) and we disagreed. We brought Sczezny last season, giving him higher wages than a normal second keeper, so this gives us indication that it was planned for at least a year.

I would have really, really liked him going to Parma for example, even seeing him playing against us. It's all very different with PSG. I feel like we showed the door to Ale, not Gigi.
And as much as I love Ale and was pissed at Juve for the way Ale was treated, I could at least understand the team's decision. Alex had very little chance of playing at the top level. Gigi still does. He's going to PSG ffs. And I think it'd be too selfish of us fans to demand Buffon to decline the chance of keeping his CL hopes alive - especially after the sacrifices he made for our team.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
And as much as I love Ale and was pissed at Juve for the way Ale was treated, I could at least understand the team's decision. Alex had very little chance of playing at the top level. Gigi still does. He's going to PSG ffs. And I think it'd be too selfish of us fans to demand Buffon to decline the chance of keeping his CL hopes alive - especially after the sacrifices he made for our team.
Gigi is finished.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
1) Gigi is life
2) He isn't better than our current goalkeeper
3) He wasn't pushed out
4) I would have loved for him to stay but there is no way he is at a level where he should start for us anymore, tbh even last season I was fine with him starting because of the level of respect he deserves
5) Him leaving was best for both him and at club though as fans we wish it could have turned out different, but I'm not gona be selfish and claim he should have snubbed a chance to earn 10mil or more a year or another shot at CL. Having said that we did not have to pay him 6mil a year and keep starting him just for the sake of it. He is past it
6) He's still gona win the league at PSG and probably lose CL just like at Juve, there is no damage to his legacy

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Juve's fault. He's still better than our current goalkeeper. I'm so upset Juve did this.
You are delusional, bro and so is Gigi. He is not good enough anymore to start ahead of Szczesny and he is too expensive to be a secong GK. And even if he wasn't too expensive, it wouldn't feel right to keep him as a second GK. And even if we offered him to remain as a second GK (maybe we did?) he wouldn't have accepted.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
You are delusional, bro and so is Gigi. He is not good enough anymore to start ahead of Szczesny and he is too expensive to be a secong GK. And even if he wasn't too expensive, it wouldn't feel right to keep him as a second GK. And even if we offered him to remain as a second GK (maybe we did?) he wouldn't have accepted.
:agree:

Gigi is utterly finished, much more than Ale ever was. PSG would be retarded to start him outside their Coppa games

That being said, him joining PSG doesnt take away anything from his legacy

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
WΏΏdy?;5791209 said:
1) Gigi is life
2) He isn't better than our current goalkeeper
3) He wasn't pushed out
4) I would have loved for him to stay but there is no way he is at a level where he should start for us anymore, tbh even last season I was fine with him starting because of the level of respect he deserves
5) Him leaving was best for both him and at club though as fans we wish it could have turned out different, but I'm not gona be selfish and claim he should have snubbed a chance to earn 10mil or more a year or another shot at CL. Having said that we did not have to pay him 6mil a year and keep starting him just for the sake of it. He is past it
6) He's still gona win the league at PSG and probably lose CL just like at Juve, there is no damage to his legacy
Pretty much this.

Aug 2, 2005
We didn't want him to stay obviously. This guy sacrificed (i.e., wasted) his best footballing years in serie B and Secco's Juve although he could have won a couple CL's had he left Juve when Calciopoli happened, and we showed him the door when he was still a reliable goalkeeper. I'd be okay with this if he wasn't good enough to play for us. The fact that we might be getting Ronaldo and winning the CL the same year we let Gigi go is upsetting.
Getting CR7 does not mean we will CL
Dont raise ur hopes much..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017

Would you have liked him better if he joined Peruggia better. Because him joining Parma makes no sense, except sentimental one. He wants to keep on playing at highest levels. Juve showed him the door. If he wins CHL ill stop watching football, for good reasons obviously.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I fail to understand why majority seem to think Szczesny is better than Buffon.
He is, I don't think how people think Buffon is better. PSG got him because of his name and leadership abilities, just like they got Becks a while ago when the guy was clearly finished.

Buffon could've probably stayed and been a backup but it seems like he wanted more. That's fair but he is not elite anymore and Szczesny was by far more reliable in the games he played.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
This. He chose the worst possible team but maybe he blew away most of his money. Who knows.. Why else would he embarass himself like that at 40 yo.
In other news, Buffon still doesn't care what you think. He's still making millions, and probably feels he has more to give, while you're a nobody operating a cash register at some remote outlet making minimum wage and hating yourself for it :baus: :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Trapattoni was indeed a great coach :baus: :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

I hope he wins CHL this year. We waited 23 years. We can wait another year. Buffon can’t. He sure deserves it. Champ
How about we win it in 2019 and 2021. Gigi can win it in 2020 and get recalled to the Azzurri, guiding them to a Euro title :baus: :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

I hope deep down he knows he did a mistake.
Why? Because you say so.?! In his mind he can continue playing at the highest level, and seeing how horrible some of the other goalkeeping options out there are, I honestly can't blame him.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt it. His ego is too swollen. He can't accept his age. Buffon played for so long, he went straight into a midlife crisis.

I fear we'll see a stubbornness similar to superstars not accepting their faith.
:shifty: I fail to see how religion has anything to do with him continuing his football career :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)