Gianluigi Buffon (41 Viewers)

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
What i say is clearly my opinion, is not a fact, but to say it is incoherent is an insult to me. I dont know where you get this idea, as ill try to justify what i said just for the sake of your comment.

-If Buffon was ready to retire, he would have done it in Juventus, willingly and by letting us know like on midseason without any issue. That doesnt happened. At the beggining i believed he didnt announced it to not attract unnecessary attention and instead let everyone to focus on the team and the competitions. But what im seeing now suggest otherwise.

- Buffon himself said he was offered a managerial role, so this means NO role as a player. This option clearly came from Agnelli/Elkann themselves. For this option to be true, they both had to agreed to do not let buff continue playing. You do not offer a managerial role to a player you are willing to continue letting play, i think this is obvious. This is also backed up by how the del piero saga was managed, in the sense that when Agnelli/Elkann say is enough, is enough. It doesnt matter if you are Buffon or Del Piero.
We can even theorize that maybe they are seeing the chance to sign Perin this summer and they cant have the 3 of buffon perin and wojek together, so the obvious choice (purely at a manager POV) is to let the older player go.

-On Buffon´s side: I think he really is in love with this team and would have continued playing until he was not able to continue physically. But there is a margin on this decition, as he could continue playing maybe for who knows, maybe 2 more competitive years? Maybe Agnelli was not going to wait for him to take that chance. I also think that Buffon is really having a hard time leaving football and accepting his age. IMO he is having the same problems Alex had when leaving Juve, as he was not ready to retire and wanted to continue here but the board decided otherwise.

-Then the PSG offer: If its true they are giving him that paycheck, i think we cant blame him to not at least think about it. Its a lot of money for a 40 year old keeper, more than anything he won in Juventus even on his prime. But i dont see Buffon as a mercernary or moneygrabber. If he accepts this, is because he really wanted to continue playing football and was not mentally ready to retire. He should be willing to had a go at the CL once again. But in the end, i think all of this could simply be the result of him having some fear in hanging his gloves and going out of his comfort zone which is to play football. Still, it would be disgusting for me to see his glorious face on that filthy club.

@DAiDEViL

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Like i said before, i think agnelli was clear on him and told him to retire here and accept the managerial role. Buffon clearly wanted to continue in juventus, to be wojej bench at the very least. Agnelli didnt agreed to that because he thinks its time to look forward and renovate the keeper department. We all know how he was with del piero, and he is very sharp in this kind of things, even with legends. He would not let buffon pull a totti and retire whenever he pleased at the expense of keeper like wojej and perin.

On one hand, i can understand buffon wanting the moneu from france, but its disgusting anyways. For me it leaves a bad taste, and he should have used this perfect chance to retire. He is 40 years old, its about time.

And i hope he doesnt join them to aspire to win the CL. That is like a kick in the balls for juventus. And he should not be obsesed with that throphy. His career has been glittering even without it.
I hope he does the right thing and retires while joining either juventus management or the italy management together with mancini.

Parma would be cute but not an obligation. But this pSg thing is ridiculous to me and i do not support it.
In other words, it’s Agnelli who has to decide whether should keep on playing or retire? If he wasnt given another year at least as 2nd keeper, which would make him the best 2nd keeper in the world, then we cant blame Buffon for going to PSG. I want him all the best and I hope he wins CHL, no player deserve it more than Buffon.
Forza Buffon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
@Hydde You realizing that you're inventing theories and assume they're real by default? You know nothing buddy

Whats known is that Agnelli offered him a management position OR to continue playing for us (as he said in the press conference). The rest is Buffon's choice, if we don’t go into conspiracies.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
@Hydde You realizing that you're inventing theories and assume they're real by default? You know nothing buddy

Whats known is that Agnelli offered him a management position OR to continue playing for us (as he said in the press conference). The rest is Buffon's choice, if we don’t go into conspiracies.
My opinion is as subjective as yours, so we both could be wrong. You say i know nothing, thats fine, its your opinion, but please, dont sell me the idea of Agnelli giving Buffon the choice, ill not buy it. And from that onwards, you and me will disagree. I saw very well what happened with Alex, i dont need to invent any conspiracy. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

In other words, it’s Agnelli who has to decide whether should keep on playing or retire?
See, as much as i respect agnelli because i think he is a great president for juve (it has been demonstrated in the last 7 years), the guy can be an ass when dealing with legends.

The del piero saga says it all.

And i know Buffon would have not minded staying here in Juventus with less playing time. Juve is his home and that thing will never change. I dont think he would have abandoned ship just because the board asked for him to understand his situation. No way he would have chosen PSG just because of that.

Anyways, ill stop here, the idea of not having Buffon in the team is already very depressing. I dont want to continue remembering it.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Is Buffon allowed to play CL next season after those ref dealings?

In before PSG win CL but Buffon wont be given medal for season ban.

- - - Updated - - -

My opinion is as subjective as yours, so we both could be wrong. You say i know nothing, thats fine, its your opinion, but please, dont sell me the idea of Agnelli giving Buffon the choice, ill not buy it. And from that onwards, you and me will disagree. I saw very well what happened with Alex, i dont need to invent any conspiracy. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

See, as much as i respect agnelli because i think he is a great president for juve (it has been demonstrated in the last 7 years), the guy can be an ass when dealing with legends.

The del piero saga says it all.

And i know Buffon would have not minded staying here in Juventus with less playing time. Juve is his home and that thing will never change. I dont think he would have abandoned ship just because the board asked for him to understand his situation. No way he would have chosen PSG just because of that.

Anyways, ill stop here, the idea of not having Buffon in the team is already very depressing. I dont want to continue remembering it.
Its pointless to speculate. Buffon will be 41. We have laughed in the past about Milan grandpas. Our team is getting old now and losing its competitive edge. I think Buffon already showed his age in CL this season. The Harry Kane goal. The accepting the superiority of Real in Turin. Bigging up Ronaldo and co like its just honour to concede against Ronaldo. Too much respect. They were angry after 2nd leg but they were hugging and chasing Real players shirts after first leg. And call me cynic but opponents are not afraid to face Buffon anymore. Arent we like Ronaldos most scored opponent in europe or smth.
And now. Polak is not elite but Polak is in his prime. Buffon is 41 next season. How much longer u expect him to play. He even said himself first part of season he will continue only if Juve win CL so he could try win club world cup. And the world cup would have been his last competitive game/tournament.

People dont want to admit Szesny might be better keeper now than Buffon is. And why is Buffon going to PSG to most likely start if u think he would have happily stayed as sub here. I dont believe it. Btw club offered him role in the management but he declined. So u cant say club didnt care.

And again. There is no room for sentimentality in football. Buffon is not what he used to be. And by turning 41 he will only get worse. Just look at track record. Its not like these keepers continue to start till late 40s.

And DP wasnt getting younger either. If we kept extending these legends you end up like Milan did with their grandpas eventually crashing and burning.

There are other things to look also. Why is Buffon going to PSG and not Murica or Australia? Obv PSG are in CL but PSG also pays best wages in europe. So nice final paycheck for Buffon. He might even earn more there than at Juve. So dont ignore money isnt motive.

Time to suck it up. Nothing lasts for ever. We cant keep extending these guys for their legend status till they turn into laughing stocks.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Is Buffon allowed to play CL next season after those ref dealings?

In before PSG win CL but Buffon wont be given medal for season ban.

- - - Updated - - -

Its pointless to speculate. Buffon will be 41. We have laughed in the past about Milan grandpas. Our team is getting old now and losing its competitive edge. I think Buffon already showed his age in CL this season. The Harry Kane goal. The accepting the superiority of Real in Turin. Bigging up Ronaldo and co like its just honour to concede against Ronaldo. Too much respect. They were angry after 2nd leg but they were hugging and chasing Real players shirts after first leg. And call me cynic but opponents are not afraid to face Buffon anymore. Arent we like Ronaldos most scored opponent in europe or smth.
And now. Polak is not elite but Polak is in his prime. Buffon is 41 next season. How much longer u expect him to play. He even said himself first part of season he will continue only if Juve win CL so he could try win club world cup. And the world cup would have been his last competitive game/tournament.

People dont want to admit Szesny might be better keeper now than Buffon is. And why is Buffon going to PSG to most likely start if u think he would have happily stayed as sub here. I dont believe it. Btw club offered him role in the management but he declined. So u cant say club didnt care.

And again. There is no room for sentimentality in football. Buffon is not what he used to be. And by turning 41 he will only get worse. Just look at track record. Its not like these keepers continue to start till late 40s.

And DP wasnt getting younger either. If we kept extending these legends you end up like Milan did with their grandpas eventually crashing and burning.

There are other things to look also. Why is Buffon going to PSG and not Murica or Australia? Obv PSG are in CL but PSG also pays best wages in europe. So nice final paycheck for Buffon. He might even earn more there than at Juve. So dont ignore money isnt motive.

Time to suck it up. Nothing lasts for ever. We cant keep extending these guys for their legend status till they turn into laughing stocks.
yes. Thats why i said i understand Agnellis decition from a managerial POV. The guy is sharp as ice and i think that , feelings apart, he was right in both cases. Is just that he was so cold blooded that is tough for me to swallow being attached to those players and wanting them to retire here. Sadly it seems they cant give up on their careers and someone has to stop them. Still, i think DP could have played one more season given the shid bench players we had...and well buffon case is more obvious because he is very old and Wojej is ready to replace him.

In the end, im 100% sure agnelii made both moves, still, what agnelli is doing is right from a non romantic POV. Its just difficult for me to accept it

Because Del Piero got forced out this means every future legend retiring will be as well? Not really
Thanks for admitting that. Im not conspiracy theorism after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 23)