Gianluigi Buffon (101 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Buffon: ‘Madrid made me feel alive’

Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon admits “sometimes getting it wrong”, but says Real Madrid and its aftermath was “pure adrenaline”.

The goalkeeper was sent-off by referee Michael Oliver after reacting furiously to a last-minute penalty at the Bernabeu which sent the Bianconeri out of the Champions League.

The 40-year-old tore in to the official after the match, drawing criticism from some quarters, and today he spoke about the incident as he attended a sponsors’ event in Turin.

“The decisions we make are a way of defining ourselves and making us what we want to be,” Buffon explained to the reporters present.

“You can even go too far, sometimes getting it wrong. But that means you’re alive, and that’s why I came in to the world.

“After the Bernabeu I went for long walks, mushrooms and daisies. It was a week that allowed me to experience strong emotions, beautiful, pure adrenaline

“I also live for that.”

Gianluigi Donnarumma is seen my many as his namesake’s heir in the Italy squad, and yesterday the Milan youngster handed Juve a huge advantage in the Scudetto race with a stunning last-gasp save on Napoli’s Arkadiusz Milik.

“I sent him a nice congratulatory text for his save on Milik at the end,” Buffon revealed, before discussing his role as captain of the Azzurri.

“Being captain of the national team is the greatest gift that life has given me.”
What kind of mushrooms?

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Yes, he had a long deliberate consideration in that situation.

It was a penalty.

[video=twitter;984178429665992704]https://twitter.com/MrTomMcDermott/status/984178429665992704[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Of course we need to have as uniform calls as possible, but it's becoming whataboutery in terms of Buffon and Oliver. The first game, Cuadrado and Dybala are irrelevant in this regard.
It was too soft a contact to be called a clear penalty; giving it in the last minutes was a piss-poor judgment.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
The head of FIFA’s refereeing department responds to Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon - “it’s impossible to think about where we are, what happened before…”

The Bianconeri goalkeeper was incensed by Michael Oliver’s decision to award a last-minute penalty against Real Madrid, declaring that a more experienced official wouldn’t have given a debatable decision in such a crucial moment.

“You have to make a technical and disciplinary decision in a fraction of a second,” Massimo Busacca responded, speaking to Premium Sport.

“So it’s impossible to think about where we are, what happened before and so on. It’s one of the few jobs in the world where you have to decide in less than a second.

“Yesterday we saw a great save from a goalkeeper [Gigio Donnarumma] who instinctively made a decision, it’s the same for us.

“Clearly if we had 10 minutes available we could take other things into consideration, but I assure you it’s a really difficult job and we have to rely on natural instinct.

“Yesterday Donnarumma launched himself without thinking, and it’s the same for us. Sometimes we have to decide without even seeing, so a great referee has to rely on his experience too.”

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
:p

I guess I was responding to what was the key quote imo “You have to make a technical and disciplinary decision in a fraction of a second,”

So..."no you don't" would have been more appropriate

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
The head of FIFA’s refereeing department responds to Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon - “it’s impossible to think about where we are, what happened before…”

The Bianconeri goalkeeper was incensed by Michael Oliver’s decision to award a last-minute penalty against Real Madrid, declaring that a more experienced official wouldn’t have given a debatable decision in such a crucial moment.

“You have to make a technical and disciplinary decision in a fraction of a second,” Massimo Busacca responded, speaking to Premium Sport.

“So it’s impossible to think about where we are, what happened before and so on. It’s one of the few jobs in the world where you have to decide in less than a second.

“Yesterday we saw a great save from a goalkeeper [Gigio Donnarumma] who instinctively made a decision, it’s the same for us.

“Clearly if we had 10 minutes available we could take other things into consideration, but I assure you it’s a really difficult job and we have to rely on natural instinct.

“Yesterday Donnarumma launched himself without thinking, and it’s the same for us. Sometimes we have to decide without even seeing, so a great referee has to rely on his experience too.”
lol why is he mentioning Donnarumma too often? Filthy Milan supporter spotted at head of FIFA refereeing department.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It was too soft a contact to be called a clear penalty; giving it in the last minutes was a piss-poor judgment.
If we are going to talk about only the penalty (and we really shouldn't, because Madrid had dozens of calls in their favour), the question is this imo:

did Vazquez go down because of the push? The answer is clearly no. If Vazquez didn't go down because of the contact, the conclusion can only be that he dived. So Real Madrid got a last minute penalty because of a dive.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
At the back of my mind, I remember the Dybala penalty that we got against Milan for a close-range handball last season in the dying minutes. It was a 50-50 call similar to the penalty given to Madrid. Let's be honest, ~100% of Juve fans felt this was the right call no matter what minute it was.

The truth is, again, we had a beast match all over the pitch similar to Bayern two years back and made a costly error in the dying minutes. We shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. We really need to learn and move on.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
At the back of my mind, I remember the Dybala penalty that we got against Milan for a close-range handball last season in the dying minutes. It was a 50-50 call similar to the penalty given to Madrid. Let's be honest, ~100% of Juve fans felt this was the right call no matter what minute it was.

The truth is, again, we had a beast match all over the pitch similar to Bayern two years back and made a costly error in the dying minutes. We shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. We really need to learn and move on.
:agree:

Exactly. The Milan game came to my mind as well when discussing this.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
:agree:

Exactly. The Milan game came to my mind as well when discussing this.
Yeah forgot about that Milan incident. Although, I think it was much less of a 50/50 call than this one.

Either way, I think you'll find most fans are more annoyed by the assumption that Madrid would NEVER have been given that penalty against them in a similar situation.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Yeah forgot about that Milan incident. Although, I think it was much less of a 50/50 call than this one.

Either way, I think you'll find most fans are more annoyed by the assumption that Madrid would NEVER have been given that penalty against them in a similar situation.
Thats true. But we need to move on i guess. I'm sure we will be in the main event next year :baus:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 100)