Gianluigi Buffon (39 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sorry Ale, but I'm with Buffon there, yeah his argumentation wasn't perfect, but he was spot on about that ref not having heart or understanding of football
It's also completely nonsensical to say that you shouldn't talk about the first leg. Obviously the first leg has a tremendous influence. Even more so because it makes obvious just how different Real are treated than us.

Ale's reaction here is that of someone trying to be as diplomatic as possible. He doesn't want to burn bridges in case he wants to go on in football. And I'm sorry, but that's just wrong.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Ale was the polite gentelman in 2003 that went to the media to explain why we lost the game.

I'm with Buffon. I would have killed the ref.

The infuriating part of football for me has always been that players are expected to just shut up and accept the ref's decisions. It doesn't happen that way when you're robbed in clear daylight. In 2002 FIFA were incensed with the Italian and Spanish reactions and threatened with lengthy bans. I remember much of the media agreeing with them and calling Spain and Italy sore losers. Of course now we know that that tournament was pretty much fixed and that FIFA did everything they could to prevent Spain and Italy from advancing.

The same thing will sooner or later happen with UEFA. All those calls in favour of Barcelona and Madrid can no longer be explained within the normal margins of error.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I mean the ref was bad during the game but this was one time he made the right call. Buffon has no right to get in his face like that.
Yeah.. He does. It's ridiculous to expect people to accept injustice. Even worse, he actually got punished for not accepting injustice. If this happens outside the world of football, we would all be enraged. But because it's "just a game" we expect Buffon to stay quiet. But it's not just a game. People work years towards a certain goal. Actual real money trades hands because of this game. Any injustice, any attempted fraud within this game is just like injustice outside.

It's a remarkably silly comment from Ale really. I can only hope that they cornered him and that he was forced to come up with an answer quickly. Because this is hugely disappointing.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I mean the ref was bad during the game but this was one time he made the right call. Buffon has no right to get in his face like that.
Did he? If a ref assigns a penalty every time there's a contact inside penalty box or the attacker gets disturbed by the defender, the game will turn into a penalty shoot-out competition. Bottom line is Benatia got to the ball before Vazquez fair and square, to me that's never a penalty. If you start assigning penalties when defender gets the ball and makes contact with striker afterwards, the strikers will learn how to get 10 penalties per game, this is not basketball where defenders are allowed to do almost nothing.

I don't care much about the red, at that point damage was already done, in a penalty shootout goalkeeper literally stands no chance if the striker strikes the ball well, doesn't matter if goalkeepers name is Woj or Gianluigi. It's just physically impossible to fly after a ball fast enough if the striker puts it in the top corner, only exception is if the ref allows you to jump off the line before the shot.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don’t see the injustice, that was a penalty.
No. It wasn't. Because half the people say it wasn't. Half the fucking Madrid fans say it wasn't. And if it's that dubious, you just have to side with the defender. You cannot give a penalty you are not certain of.

More importantly though, the question remains: would he have given that same penalty to Juve? No. He would not have. That's wat injustice is: people being treated differently in the same situations.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
No. It wasn't. Because half the people say it wasn't. Half the $#@!ing Madrid fans say it wasn't. And if it's that dubious, you just have to side with the defender. You cannot give a penalty you are not certain of.

More importantly though, the question remains: would he have given that same penalty to Juve? No. He would not have. That's wat injustice is: people being treated differently in the same situations.

Yeah....because Juve never ever get help from refs.....

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
The infuriating part of football for me has always been that players are expected to just shut up and accept the ref's decisions. It doesn't happen that way when you're robbed in clear daylight. In 2002 FIFA were incensed with the Italian and Spanish reactions and threatened with lengthy bans. I remember much of the media agreeing with them and calling Spain and Italy sore losers. Of course now we know that that tournament was pretty much fixed and that FIFA did everything they could to prevent Spain and Italy from advancing.

The same thing will sooner or later happen with UEFA. All those calls in favour of Barcelona and Madrid can no longer be explained within the normal margins of error.
Uefa sadly takes more care about approaching it smarter. At some point it became too much. But we are going there again cause les espagnols need ze help again

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Maybe that's the problem. We are too formal and presentable for this competition, we get ran over and take it on the chin time and again.

If this happened the other way around it would be like the football world suddenly stopped spinning on its axis, you'd never hear the end of it. Ronaldo would still be flapping his arms about as I type.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
I'm okay with what Allegri said pointing out the influence of the referees on both legs. But the language used by Buffon, Agnelli and Chiellini is totally different and cannot be said by members of an elite club. But again, if I was in their place, I'd probably say the same given the heartbreak. They need to partially apologize for the language only IMO.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Maybe that's the problem. We are too formal and presentable for this competition, we get ran over and take it on the chin time and again.

If this happened the other way around it would be like the football world suddenly stopped spinning on its axis, you'd never hear the end of it. Ronaldo would still be flapping his arms about as I type.
This :agree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 28)