General TV (61 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
And that's the point. I watched stuff with all Asians, all blacks, all whites. I watched stuff with girls being the lead. I watched stuff with mixed races too and it was all totally fine. But bullshit that they are promoting nowadays is way over the top, it feels way too forced and unnecessary, especially when they fill roles with WRONG casts just by giving them different and wrong race to pull such a character. It's stupid and it ruins the show since it looks fake and impossible even.
It’s a fantasy book/show about a imaginary world that doesn’t exist. About an organization of women gathered from all over the world who use a sort of power/magic they can tap into to guide the world through generations.

And what you are worried about is that its unrealistic to have too many different races interacting too often? And that there are “wrong” races to pull off characters in these imaginary worlds? I get it if we are talking something based in medieval Europe, but in a full on fantasy based nowhere real and outside any version of history. C’mon dude. :lol2:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It’s a fantasy book/show about a imaginary world that doesn’t exist. About an organization of women gathered from all over the world who use a sort of power/magic they can tap into to guide the world through generations.

And what you are worried about is that its unrealistic to have too many different races interacting too often? And that there are “wrong” races to pull off characters in these imaginary worlds? I get it if we are talking something based in medieval Europe, but in a full on fantasy based nowhere real and outside any version of history. C’mon dude. :lol2:
It's being placed everywhere, in all tv shows and movies, not just there. It's like a plague. That show just took it to another level.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It's being placed everywhere, in all tv shows and movies, not just there. It's like a plague. That show just took it to another level.
I’m not talking about other shows. I don’t disagree that in lots of shows it is actually problematic. Especially historical settings where it becomes absolutely absurd.

But in this particular show, that is completely divested from any sort of reality, there are no “wrong” races for characters. It’s fantasy of the completely imaginary sort. So having a bunch of races on screen together is absolutely irrelevant and shouldn’t be a problem for anyone not going into the show already looking for that to be a problem.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I’m not talking about other shows. I don’t disagree that in lots of shows it is actually problematic. Especially historical settings where it becomes absolutely absurd.

But in this particular show, that is completely divested from any sort of reality, there are no “wrong” races for characters. It’s fantasy of the completely imaginary sort. So having a bunch of races on screen together is absolutely irrelevant and shouldn’t be a problem for anyone not going into the show already looking for that to be a problem.
They don't focus on getting the best cast but on getting different races which by default lowers the quality. In that sense it is not irrelevant at all.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
They don't focus on getting the best cast but on getting different races which by default lowers the quality. In that sense it is not irrelevant at all.
Those two things are not mutually exclusive and you know it. Opening up casting calls to anyone and everyone would lead to very wide and diverse casts, unless somehow you think white people are the best actors.

In this particular show there’s no reason not to have allowed people of various races to audition for the various parts, leading to a diverse cast. And while I didn’t watch past the initial couple episodes because the material and show were the worst of predictable fantasy trash, that had nothing to do with casting.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Because one race can act better than the other? :shifty:
Because you're forced to pick each. You can have, let's say, 10 amazing black actors. But because you need to select one Indian, one Asian, one white, then it's obvious you're losing on quality.

A girl I dated worked on some selection of wonderkids in field of science. She had 50-100 kids and she had to pick 10 so they could attend some conference or something. She was told she needs to have 1 girl among those 10 (at least one). In the end she had 9 guys and 1 girl. When I asked her if that girl was there because she deserved it, she said no, there were a lot of better boys in the group but she had to pick some girl as requested. So yeah, in that sense.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Those two things are not mutually exclusive and you know it. Opening up casting calls to anyone and everyone would lead to very wide and diverse casts, unless somehow you think white people are the best actors.

In this particular show there’s no reason not to have allowed people of various races to audition for the various parts, leading to a diverse cast. And while I didn’t watch past the initial couple episodes because the material and show were the worst of predictable fantasy trash, that had nothing to do with casting.
lol, it's like statistically impossible to have so many different races for main roles. I never said it should be all whites. But it's obvious how they picked.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
lol, it's like statistically impossible to have so many different races for main roles. I never said it should be all whites. But it's obvious how they picked.
No, you’re implying it’s impossible to find good actors from various races to play main roles.

Because for it to harm casting they’d have to be selecting just the first shit actor who applied for the role because they are a specific race and apparently they only got a couple auditions? These main roles would go through countless auditions. You think they can’t find decent actors of various races to fill the roles? Are there too few black and asian actors to find quality actors or something?

And you literally said “wrong race to pull a character.” Explain this. In a made-up fantasy world that is completely divested from reality how is there a “wrong race.” There are fucking random ass monster races running around.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
No, you’re implying it’s impossible to find good actors from various races to play main roles.

Because for it to harm casting they’d have to be selecting just the first shit actor who applied for the role because they are a specific race and apparently they only got a couple auditions? These main roles would go through countless auditions. You think they can’t find decent actors of various races to fill the roles? Are there too few black and asian actors to find quality actors or something?
You don't get what I mean. Nevermind.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
You don't get what I mean. Nevermind.
No. I said in lots of shows you are right. Historical fictions and other such shows and films are starting to make a mess of this now. Shit like Bridgerton :lol2:

But in a made up fantasy world you are 100% wrong. There are no wrong races for characters and the implication that they can’t find quality actors from one race or another just because they are trying to cast that race is silly. There are numerous great black, asian, white actors. It shouldn’t be hard at all to assemble a very good and very diverse cast.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
No. I said in lots of shows you are right. Historical fictions and other such shows and films are starting to make a mess of this now. Shit like Bridgerton :lol2:

But in a made up fantasy world you are 100% wrong. There are no wrong races for characters and the implication that they can’t find quality actors from one race or another just because they are trying to cast that race is silly. There are numerous great black, asian, white actors. It shouldn’t be hard at all to assemble a very good and very diverse cast.
I think the example I posted above is a good one. It tells exactly what I have in my mind.

That doesn't mean that the girl is stupid and not talented. But the fact that she HAD to pick 1 girl meant that somebody who was better than her couldn't get in the top 10 students/kids. That's not equality but pure bullshit imo. That's all really. But that doesn't mean I'm against girls, bro. I couldn't care less if it was 10 girls as long as they were picked based on quality and not on forced choices. Pick one white, one black, one tranny, one asian, one indian...

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Just pick the best actors - period.

Don't care in which colour they come, but the way they cast those roles at times is just too blatant and feels forced. That's what I don't like.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

Don't care in which colour they come, but the way they cast those roles at times is just too blatant and feels forced. That's what I don't like.
100% this. That's the only thing I wanted to say. And that plague is appearing in all tv shows and movies nowadays. It's just becoming worse and worse.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I think the example I posted above is a good one. It tells exactly what I have in my mind.

That doesn't mean that the girl is stupid and not talented. But the fact that she HAD to pick 1 girl meant that somebody who was better than her couldn't get in the top 10 students/kids. That's not equality but pure bullshit imo. That's all really. But that doesn't mean I'm against girls, bro. I couldn't care less if it was 10 girls as long as they were picked based on quality and not on forced choices. Pick one white, one black, one tranny, one asian, one indian...
I don’t disagree that your example is one of something
that is BS.

HOwever, acting talent and quality are subjective things to judge. There are no “perfect” choices. This isn’t an objective test or series of tests with results you can grade people on. There are a ton of quality actors of various races and in a huge budget show, with the desirability of parts, there are also going to be a huge number of actors auditioning. Once again, for a made up fantasy world, divested from reality, it’s not going to be hard to find a good cast that is also a diverse cast.

You still haven’t explained your comment “wrong race for a character” while talking about this show. Because that kind of suggests ulterior motives from you here.

- - - Updated - - -

But my point again is that it’s not going to be hard in the modern world to select a diverse cast that is also a great cast and suits their roles. And in a made up fantasy world, race of cast should be entirely irrelevant so unless you are going into the show already looking to bitch about cast diversity, it shouldn’t even be a thought in your head.

Last edited:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
But my point again is that it’s not going to be hard in the modern world to select a diverse cast that is also a great cast and suits their roles. And in a made up fantasy world, race of cast should be entirely irrelevant so unless you are going into the show already looking to bitch about cast diversity, it shouldn’t even be a thought in your head.
I understand. But my point is I don't want them to deliberately cast a diverse cast in the first place.

Just cast the best actors.

Don't cast like character X needs to be white, character Z needs to be black and character Y needs to he Asian just so you can please all the folks on twitter.

That great actors come in all colours is out of question. I just wish the cast would find itself more naturally and doesn't feel so forced.

You are right when you say "race of cast should be entirely irrelevant" - but that obviously wasn't the case here.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I understand. But my point is I don't want them to deliberately cast a diverse cast in the first place.

Just cast the best actors.

Don't cast like character X needs to be white, character Z needs to be black and character Y needs to he Asian just so you can please all the folks on twitter.

That great actors come in all colours is out of question. I just wish the cast would find itself more naturally and doesn't feel so forced.

You are right when you say "race of cast should be entirely irrelevant" - but that obviously wasn't the case here
But I don’t see how this would even be noticeable unless you go into it looking for this. If I just assumed a great cast could have whatever makeup then I wouldn’t be watching this thinking it was forced. Being someone who actually read a couple of these books as a kid (they are easily as bad as the show), And watched the first couple episodes before deciding it was trash too, I had no issues with casting choices. Quite a few were actually really good choices from my memory of the books. It’s the subject matter that is irredeemable. Lol

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Dusan went off the deep end here.. So sad to see that he is doing the exactly the thing he is accusing the show of doing.

There is no implication in this show that they discriminated in any direction, simply because all of the actors - bar the lead lady - are same level trash.

A fantasy world that has no connection to any geographical nor historical era of our world means that all bets are off when picking the cast.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (again, didn't watch more than the first few episodes), but the mix of races seemed to serve no political agenda in the show.

And yet Dusan is triggered because ITS A PLAGUE, MAN. You're so ready to be offended your middle name must be Karen :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Found @Nzoric's favourite Copenhagen library
That seems like a pretty amazing place tbh. Never heard of it until now :tup:

Love how the bigot is shaming a place where you can meet different people and have conversations :heart:

- - - Updated - - -

But I don’t see how this would even be noticeable unless you go into it looking for this. If I just assumed a great cast could have whatever makeup then I wouldn’t be watching this thinking it was forced. Being someone who actually read a couple of these books as a kid (they are easily as bad as the show), And watched the first couple episodes before deciding it was trash too, I had no issues with casting choices. Quite a few were actually really good choices from my memory of the books. It’s the subject matter that is irredeemable. Lol
Even better if the 'forced' cast is true to the books LOL

Last edited:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I'm watching The Repair Shop on tv now, what a wonderful show. Such a nice change of pace from most stereotypical loud American television. You can tell we have a lot more commercials here than in the UK too, they just seem to add in commercial breaks in random spots :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 61)