General Religion & Philosophy Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Was waiting for someone to ask that :D

I think he mentioned a couple of times that he's been reading about Islamic/Arabic culture a lot.
It's true, I read up on quite an eclectic array of subjects, and Islamic/Arabic culture/history interests me a lot. But I don't have any particular books, more just browsing the web and reading articles etc.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
You need something more modern that helps you to understand what you actually are looking for, so I highly recommend you Purification of the Heart by Hamza Yusuf.

http://www.amazon.com/Purification-Heart-Symptoms-Spiritual-Diseases/dp/1929694156

@Hustini @Raz
Purification of the heart? :D

Nah man, I have enough of them "I love Jesus" prophets around to get my everyday dose of that :p

Would be more interested in some historic or analitic book rather then philosophical one about islam.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
You're not really healping your cause with this really. All it shows is that, fallowing these ancient books literally is crazy, quaran included.
No this was a great post. Because Christians are throwing gays off building tops as we speak, in line with their holy book. Wait, no, it's 2015.

Seriously, what I like are good people, and the current Pope is a good person. Maybe ReBel should have a little read about him.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Purification of the heart? :D

Nah man, I have enough of them "I love Jesus" prophets around to get my everyday dose of that :p

Would be more interested in some historic or analitic book rather then philosophical one about islam.
Read it when you have time, you won't regret :D

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Suppose I want to know more about Islam and Islamic culture, what would be a good book to start? Does anyone know a book that's accessible without much prior knowledge - but doesn't simplify complicated matters -, and talks about both the theological foundations as well as cultural & historical developments from a relatively unbiased point of view?

I guess there's not really anything that fully satisfies all criteria, but do you guys know anything at least close to this?
@Fred @Bianconero_Aus @Zé Tahir @Mohad @king Ale

This book is a great read: https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/index.html

If you want a hard copy of it let me know.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Hmmm, I'l maybe check it out more thoroughly later, but this seems to be the opposite of unbiased on first glance at least :p

- - - Updated - - -

I also searched the web for an answer, has anyone read this for example?

Reza Aslan has seemed quite sensible and balanced in some videos I've seen of him debating, and while it's perhaps a bit too history-orientated it seems to fit what I'm looking for very well.
Depends on what you mean by unbiased. If you want an analysis that attempts to whitewash everything, not to offend anyone, and basically says that all religions are equally good or bad regardless of what they teach, then Aslan is your man.
If, however, you want an actual logical thought process without the pc crap, dont touch that stuff with a 50 foot pole.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
This book is a great read: https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/index.html

If you want a hard copy of it let me know.
I love this part: https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_6_section_6.html

This doesn't seem backwards and retarded at all!

Also, Azrat Mirza Ghulam Ahma prophesized in 1907 that a plague would reach the world and would punish people for their sexual transgressions. And this is linked to the HIV/AIDS epidemic.. Why not link his moronic prophecy to a much more obvious, much closer and much more violent pandemic: the 1918 flu pandemic. Oh, that's right, straight people got it too. I guess those diseases don't count.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
I think the problem with religion and superstition is quite simple. Everyone has his irrational ideas about the world but the important thing is how we govern. Are we trying to be secular or theocratic. Put law above religion or the opposite.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
I think the problem with religion and superstition is quite simple. Everyone has his irrational ideas about the world but the important thing is how we govern. Are we trying to be secular or theocratic. Put law above religion or the opposite.
Exactly. The secular liberal values are universal and there should be no compromise for some people, just because their irrational beliefs don't fit with them. Stoning people to death is just as wrong in the Middle East as it is here, I don't care what their culture is. I hate that double standard.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I love this part: https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_6_section_6.html

Also, Azrat Mirza Ghulam Ahma prophesized in 1907 that a plague would reach the world and would punish people for their sexual transgressions. And this is linked to the HIV/AIDS epidemic.. Why not link his moronic prophecy to a much more obvious, much closer and much more violent pandemic: the 1918 flu pandemic. Oh, that's right, straight people got it too. I guess those diseases don't count.
The great difference being that the 1918 flu pandemic didn't specifically prey upon society's inability to talk about its sexual hangups whereas the HIV/AIDS epidemic did.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004

Maybe because from no angle whatsoever was the flue pandemic as a result of peoples lifestyle choices whereas one of leading causes of the spread of the HIV/AIDS epidemic is lifestyle based.

Thanks for raging!

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Exactly. Which proves my point.
Maybe you should explain your point better rather than reinforcing your position as intolerant towards others beliefs. Over the last few years all I really know is you really really hate Islam and it's not possible to have a normal discussion with you on the subject, that part you've made crystal clear :tup:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I pretend I didn't read that.
What?
Maybe you should explain your point better rather than reinforcing your position as intolerant towards others beliefs. Over the last few years all I really know is you really really hate Islam and it's not possible to have a normal discussion with you on the subject, that part you've made crystal clear :tup:
My point is that pandemics aren't punishment for sexual behaviour. As was proved by the spanish flu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)