General Gaming Thread (All Platforms) (12 Viewers)

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
That's the thing. I played it, but could not get into it. I tried to force myself to complete it but just gave up about 2/3rds of the way through.
What exactly put you off?

I heard it doesn’t really hold your hand and offer you little to no guidance. Which is kinda what Elden Ring is all about. I personally love games like that.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
What exactly put you off?

I heard it doesn’t really hold your hand and offer you little to no guidance. Which is kinda what Elden Ring is all about. I personally love games like that.
I gave up after about 15 hours for various reasons:

- Cookie cutter open world completely empty of life for 95% of the world.
- Horrible destructible weapons mechanic
- Awful shrine design where the main "content" is the EXACT. SAME. FUCKING. SHRINE. many times over.
- Child like design of characters, worlds, environments. It is literally an Assassins Creed game from over a decade ago but because it was the first time a Nintendo fan could play such a thing it was celebrated as amazing.

It's a below average openworld game by modern (even at the time) standards with horrible design mechanics, copy-paste content, with a completely lifeless and empty open world.

I forced myself through like three days of it over a weekend because of all the Nintendo fans I know just masturbating to it. Apparently they've never played Assassins Creed, Witcher 3, or any other moderately decent open world game. Because this was the worst parts of a decades old open world game with AWFUL mechanics (whoever QA the destructible weapons mechanics and gave it the greenlight had better be fired) and copy-paste shrines scattered all over a completely lifeless, empty open world. Oh and weeb Link.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
I see your point. Well, I’ll never play it because I’ll never buy a Nintendo. And I get the point about it looking like a kid’s game. I guess that’s the appeal of Nintendo and why they stick to it.

I predict a ton of Elden Ring copy cats in the next coming years kinda like when Ubisoft went open world trying to copy The Witcher 3. Personally I think they set the bar too high for anyone to compete.

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
The problem with it is just that Nintendo is at least one generation behind in terms of technology. If not two generations behind.

So while some Nintendo IPs are interesting, they tech of the games are so dated by launch that is sucks a lot of the fun out of them.

BOTW is a great example and, as i said previously, its just so dated for what it is. And yet loyal Nintendo fans have been waiting for this game for forever so for them it was like "fucking finally" and everything they ever wanted. But for anybody with a Playstation or Xbox or PC as their main gaming machine BOTW is old news in almost every respect. Like 10 years old old news.

Apr 12, 2004
I see your point. Well, I’ll never play it because I’ll never buy a Nintendo. And I get the point about it looking like a kid’s game. I guess that’s the appeal of Nintendo and why they stick to it.

I predict a ton of Elden Ring copy cats in the next coming years kinda like when Ubisoft went open world trying to copy The Witcher 3. Personally I think they set the bar too high for anyone to compete.
There already are a bunch of Souls-like games out there. So, you're already right.
The problem with it is just that Nintendo is at least one generation behind in terms of technology. If not two generations behind.

So while some Nintendo IPs are interesting, they tech of the games are so dated by launch that is sucks a lot of the fun out of them.

BOTW is a great example and, as i said previously, its just so dated for what it is. And yet loyal Nintendo fans have been waiting for this game for forever so for them it was like "fucking finally" and everything they ever wanted. But for anybody with a Playstation or Xbox or PC as their main gaming machine BOTW is old news in almost every respect. Like 10 years old old news.
Well, consoles in general are a generation or two behind "current" PC stuff, so Nintendo is already further behind.

I have a Switch and it was the only console that did 1080p standard at the time instead of upscaling, but that's not true for even last gen stuff where they could upscale to 4k.

But if you play any games on the Switch, the ports are often dumbed-down and features are removed. There are totally different and more options in the PC version of Civ 6 versus the Switch version only because you can't really stress that little bastard out.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I gave up after about 15 hours for various reasons:

- Cookie cutter open world completely empty of life for 95% of the world.
- Horrible destructible weapons mechanic
- Awful shrine design where the main "content" is the EXACT. SAME. FUCKING. SHRINE. many times over.

- Child like design of characters, worlds, environments. It is literally an Assassins Creed game from over a decade ago but because it was the first time a Nintendo fan could play such a thing it was celebrated as amazing.

It's a below average openworld game by modern (even at the time) standards with horrible design mechanics, copy-paste content, with a completely lifeless and empty open world.

I forced myself through like three days of it over a weekend because of all the Nintendo fans I know just masturbating to it. Apparently they've never played Assassins Creed, Witcher 3, or any other moderately decent open world game. Because this was the worst parts of a decades old open world game with AWFUL mechanics (whoever QA the destructible weapons mechanics and gave it the greenlight had better be fired) and copy-paste shrines scattered all over a completely lifeless, empty open world. Oh and weeb Link.
Thank you, I legitimately felt like I was the only one thinking it was obscenely overrated. I get it was supposed to be a sort of post-apocalypse, but damn is that game barren.

"There's so much to explore!" Is there? What's the point of walking to the other side of a map, exploring something interesting looking, or climbing a tall mountain if there is guaranteed nothing there. Korok seed? Who cares. A unique weapon? It'll break in 16 hits.

Speaking of that, the climbing mechanic fucking SUCKS, God do I hate that. Ever been halfway up a mountain and it starts to rain? Better put down the controller for 15 literal minutes so it can stop and you can climb again without sliding down. I didn't like the horse or fast travel system either. A staple in open world games, though unrealistic, is being able to call your horse from anywhere on the map no matter where you left it. Having an actual range for the call renders it completely useless. Also limiting fast traveling to just the few towers in a large map is a pain too. If getting around in an open world game isn't fun, you've made a huge mistake.

Maybe it was just me, but combat felt like a chore. I always felt vastly underpowered most of the time and was constantly trying to be conservative with the weapons, because of the durability system you mentioned. I usually avoided it entirely because it just wasn't worth it.

"But you can go straight to the final boss if you want, so unique and challenging." Have you ever played Fallout New Vegas?? Skyrim?? That's not exactly new..

I don't mind the art style at all. That's their thing and for what it is, it's well done with nice (though intimately pointless) landscapes, good interesting character designs for the most part.

People look at me like I'm crazy for saying these things though, I don't get it. I'd give it maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10. It wasn't the worst game by any means but it was just so boring and felt pointless most of the time, not even close to the praise it was getting.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Burke, have you played Cyberpunk since the big 1.6 Edge runner update? I stopped playing at release and only started playing now again after binging edge runner anime.

As someone who played the game extensively, what's the main difference for you? If you played since update..

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
Thank you, I legitimately felt like I was the only one thinking it was obscenely overrated. I get it was supposed to be a sort of post-apocalypse, but damn is that game barren.
It's a testament to the size and desperation of the Nintendo fanbase and the ability of the gaming media to fawn over nostalgia.

It's Zelda, it's Nintendo, and its their first EVER openworld "rpg" game. A genre and style that's been in gaming for almost two decades. But the name recognition and fawning over Nintendo stuff is nothing new and so when you combine that with their first real openworld and then add in the Zelda IP, it was bound to blow up and be just sucked off until it was dry.

Apr 12, 2004
Burke, have you played Cyberpunk since the big 1.6 Edge runner update? I stopped playing at release and only started playing now again after binging edge runner anime.

As someone who played the game extensively, what's the main difference for you? If you played since update..
Yea, that's where that screenshot is from.

I think the 1.5 update was bigger than 1.6 in terms of stuff to do. If you haven't played in a while, I'd check out the patch notes for both 1.5 and 1.6.

1.6 added six weapons, a couple of them pretty wild and changed the oh-five sniper to have explosive ammo. There is one new "big" mission and three new side gigs. If you have not played since release, then it's kind of a whole new game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)