General Food & Cooking Thread. (6 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Made my own version of chicken shawarma Friday night. Since I don't have one of those vertical doner broilers, I sort of create my own using a grill and skewers, rotating the chicken thighs every few minutes. I usually pound out the chicken and marinate it for two days in yogurt, garlic, lemon, tumeric, cumin, and other stuff. The flatbreads are pretty easy; it's just flour, butter, and milk, but I've also used coconut oil and yogurt, topped with herbs like oregano and parsley. For the other ingredients, this time I had a yogurt sriaracha sauce, za'atar baby tomatoes, grilled onions and peppers, chopped cilantro and parsley, and a hefty bit of feta with a squeeze of lemon. The combination of flavors was amazing, so I'll be doing these again exactly the same way.

Attachments

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It was really good. I think I was influenced by a restaurant in the Le Marais district of Paris called Miznon, which specializes in these pitas stuffed with lamb or chicken and a ton of herbs and aromatics. It was probably the most delicious sandwich/pita I've ever had, so now I'm maxing out my herb usage.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Miznon is fabulous

literally everything I’ve had off the menu is ridiculously good.

I’m a huge fan of the roast cauliflower. It’s been sold out the last few times I’ve been but always something to look forward to

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Miznon is fabulous

literally everything I’ve had off the menu is ridiculously good.

I’m a huge fan of the roast cauliflower. It’s been sold out the last few times I’ve been but always something to look forward to
Is that the Miznon in New York? I've wanted to go there but from what I've seen their menu is different from the one in Le Marais.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Absolutely.

My friend gave me some local redfish he caught in Virginia. Really interesting fish that I blackened using butter and various spices. Would probably say it's similar to rockfish. I'm hoping to grab a few whole red snappers and borrow a buddy's deep fryer so that I can prepare some Nicaraguan fried fish.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Speaking of fish, I’m not too familiar with deep frying it but I had the most amazing fried flounder in South Carolina.

my go to is always branzino tho, such perfect flavor and texture.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Love sushi. I could probably eat a ton of cold smoked salmon (not the cooked one).
smoked salmon isn't sushi tho :p

Also, if you cook smoked salmon, it's no longer smoked.

I love sushi too, but a common misconception is that it's about the fish - sushi is all about the rice. It's about the preparation of vinegar rice and then adding condiments (whether cucumbers, eggs, raw fish, fermented plums, seaweed) to the rice itself.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Is baking accepted in this thread?
20210225_140238.jpg
That looks great. What type of bread?

- - - Updated - - -

smoked salmon isn't sushi tho :p

Also, if you cook smoked salmon, it's no longer smoked.

I love sushi too, but a common misconception is that it's about the fish - sushi is all about the rice. It's about the preparation of vinegar rice and then adding condiments (whether cucumbers, eggs, raw fish, fermented plums, seaweed) to the rice itself.
Yeah, smoked salmon isn't really sushi. Smoked salmon is great but smoked trout is even better. Sometimes I get fresh trout and I typically brine it and smoke it for a couple hours. Then I combine it with some creme fraiche, lemon juice, parsley, and capers and serve it over a sliced baguette. Probably one of my favorite things I've ever had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)