Gaetano Scirea (1 Viewer)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Juventino[RUS];2128704 said:
Cristiano Zanetti, I really don't know why Number 6 is not immortalized in Scirea memory......
Because that's the most retarded thing to do, think Milan.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Oh Crap. I just posted a long tribute to him in the legends thread. I should probably copy and paste it. I didn't even know this thread existed

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well, here it is, copied and pasted from the other thread. Again, I didn't realize that there was a thread dedicated to him. Shame on me, I should have known better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is the 20th anniversary of the untimely, and all too soon, passing of one of the true legends of football, a world cup winner in 1982, and the perfect foil to Claudio Gentile's "ruthless tactics", forming one of the greatest partnerships in the history of club and international football, and passing the national team torch to Franco Baresi in 1986 to continue the great lineage of centrebacks to play for La Nazionale.

I'm talking, of course, about the greatest number 6 in the storied history of Juventus, Gaetano Scirea.

The greatest sweeper this side of Franz Beckenbauer, who is arguably the greatest of all time to play that position.

A rare breed of player, where just looking at an opposing striker the wrong way can get you a red card, he was never sent off once during his career, yet could dispossess you of the ball, and in the blink of an eye, already be down the pitch depositing the ball into the back of the net before you had a chance to catch your breath.

When he retired, the "sweeper" position, in essence, retired with him.

You've probably shed many tears up in heaven watching the events that have unfolded on your beloved club the past 20 years, Signore Scirea. Tears of Joy at the numerous scudetti and trophies to come their way, tears of sadness of losing the scudetto on a rain soaked Perugia pitch, and tears of shame and anger over the actions of the previous Triade, but know this.

When we reciprocate those tears in memory of you, it is because we know how much you meant to Juventus, to the fans, to the game, and we cry tears of joy as well, because we were so fortunate to have you all those years, and tears of sadness, because as much as many have tried, your qualities on and off the pitch have never been properly replaced, nor will they ever be.

And maybe,just maybe, that is how it should be. Certain legends of the game should never be replaced, never should have their name smeared with other players becoming the "New Scirea", or "New Charles", because those are heights which are practically unreachable, and unfair to the ones saddled with such monikers.

You were one of a kind, and your legacy lives on. Always.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)