French clubs worst in finals, Italians come in fourth (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
A Belgian newspaper (www.standaard.be) found out that the French clubs are the worst performers in European finals.

Here's the list, it includes nations whos clubs have played at least 8 finals since the existence of pan-European club competitions. Rankings include the Champions League and the UEFAcup (or their predecessors with different names) but NOT the Intertoto cup.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #2
    Dutch clubs rule in finals! :extatic:

We just happen to suck at the group stage, the quarter finals and the semi finals

:doh::D

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    Interesting stats indeed.

England and Italy have both won 27 times but England has done it with less teams in the final.

France, terrible. They won twice from 13 attempts !!

Dec 27, 2003
    Lol @ French clubs winning less cups than their Portuguese, Scottish and Belgian counterparts.

Juve only won 2 finals out of 7 if I am correct. Besides the recent losses they were famously defeated by Hamburg in 83 (despite being super favourites) and by some other team which I don't recall earlier on.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Yeah it's funny how some seem to lose a lot more than they win. The first ever European Cup final saw Real Madrid facing Reims. They of course lost and since the 50s have never been heard of again. But the history of losing does actually go back that far.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    To be honest, I have to question if these stats are worth the bits they're printed on. At least in terms of being relevant to any possible outcomes in the present.

For example, what Benefica did in the early 1960s has no relation or bearing on what FC Porto has done recently (let alone in the late 1980s).

I've always felt historical statistics for a single club are useless. For example: the historical club records of Milan versus Inter ... as if the actions of Giuseppe Meazza 70 years ago have any bearing on today's Milano derbies other than the name of the stadium. It's even more tenuous to try to find some kind of umbrella national trend to that.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    To be honest, I have to question if these stats are worth the bits they're printed on. At least in terms of being relevant to any possible outcomes in the present.

For example, what Benefica did in the early 1960s has no relation or bearing on what FC Porto has done recently (let alone in the late 1980s).

I've always felt historical statistics for a single club are useless. For example: the historical club records of Milan versus Inter ... as if the actions of Giuseppe Meazza 70 years ago have any bearing on today's Milano derbies other than the name of the stadium. It's even more tenuous to try to find some kind of umbrella national trend to that.
    Many Italian are superstitious... I assume they look for trends from statistics to see what they're up against.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    Many Italian are superstitious... I assume they look for trends from statistics to see what they're up against.
    No offense intended to anyone, but you are so right in a number of circles.

When I was in Italy earlier this month, I ran into a number of situations where I thought Stevie Wonder should have penned the Italian national anthem, if you know what I mean (and I think you do). :rolleyes:

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

where I thought Stevie Wonder should have penned the Italian national anthem, if you know what I mean (and I think you do). :rolleyes:
    I think that they should have chosen Stevie Ray Vaughan's version :D

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Yeah it's funny how some seem to lose a lot more than they win. The first ever European Cup final saw Real Madrid facing Reims. They of course lost and since the 50s have never been heard of again. But the history of losing does actually go back that far.

coz real brought all their best players

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)