Found something very cool (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
...for you Windows users, have a look:
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

You can actually turn off shit in the operating system and get rid of stuff you don't need. AND THERE'S EVEN AN OPTION TO KILL IE AND MSN (though msn is easy enough to kill on your own)!!! Man if I were a Windows user, I'd be drinking champagne right now. Wonder how well that stuff works though I doubt they would be commercially selling broken software. Almost tempted to boot into win just to try it. :D

woot woot :D

Shit you might wanna kill:
(disclaimer: this might/will break your system, I haven't tested myself)

+ Remote Access Dial-up Support (WTF is that anyway)
+ Accessibility Options (all of it)
+ Accessories and Communications and Messanging (most of it, depending on your hardware)
+ Games (this one is a no brainer, I never even install it)
+ Internet Utilities (all that crap, install superior 3rd party replacements)
+ Windows Media Player (cannot tell you how much I hate this shit)
+ Default My Music (stop spamming my harddrive!)
+ Help and Support Center (never find any answers there anyway, and even that primitive piece of software had a bigass security hole in the past so the lesson is turn off everything you don't need)
+ ODBC (soooooooooooo unnecessary for 99% of the home users)
+ Windows Tour
+ Indexing service (unless you search for files on your harddrives a lot, which I never do
+ Smart Card Service (don't use smart cards)
+ Telnet Service (welcome to the 21st century)
+ UPS Service (don't have one)
+ UPnP (don't need/use plug and pray)
+ Migration Wizard (no idea what it's for)
+ Windows Script Host (doesn't sound like I need it)
+ ZIP Compressed Folders (total pain in the ass, winrar all the way)

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I've killed most of my system services and uninstalled all but the bare bones of my system, but thanks anyway, this should be good :D

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
nice :D btw always had a question- ram vs processor speed. what do they do? i know ram makes programs run faster and is resources eaten by fruityloops and cm, but what does processor speed affect?

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by DukeVonEggwaffle? ] ++
    nice :D btw always had a question- ram vs processor speed. what do they do? i know ram makes programs run faster and is resources eaten by fruityloops and cm, but what does processor speed affect?
    cpu/ram demystified:

You're cooking dinner for the whole family. But you don't have a kitchen, you have to use your neighbors across the street. The street is an artery and each crossing takes a while cause you have to wait for the signal to turn green. All your ingredients are at your place though and your place is a mess, it takes 15 minutes to find anything at all. So you start making dinner but it's really slowing you down going back and forth across the street the whole time. You'd prefer to bring everything you need all in one go but your neighbors kitchen is so friggin tiny that you can only work with one item at a time.

the cpu = your ability to chop vegetables quickly and get moving with those pies
    given a fast cpu you can work very fast but without a big enough storage facility close by, you can get very little work done per time unit

the ram/memory = the size of your neighbors kitchen
    the most important storage facility in a computer, the more of it the better, the faster the better also

the harddisk = your house
    the speed of your harddrive relates to the speed of your ram by a factor of 1:100,000. Everytime you need to get something from the harddisk, it takes an eternity. once it's in memory though, your cpu is speedy gonzales as long as it can use just the ram to do everything it needs to do.

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

cpu/ram demystified:

You're cooking dinner for the whole family. But you don't have a kitchen, you have to use your neighbors across the street. The street is an artery and each crossing takes a while cause you have to wait for the signal to turn green. All your ingredients are at your place though and your place is a mess, it takes 15 minutes to find anything at all. So you start making dinner but it's really slowing you down going back and forth across the street the whole time. You'd prefer to bring everything you need all in one go but your neighbors kitchen is so friggin tiny that you can only work with one item at a time.

the cpu = your ability to chop vegetables quickly and get moving with those pies
    given a fast cpu you can work very fast but without a big enough storage facility close by, you can get very little work done per time unit

the most important storage facility in a computer, the more of it the better, the faster the better also

the speed of your harddrive relates to the speed of your ram by a factor of 1:100,000. Everytime you need to get something from the harddisk, it takes an eternity. once it's in memory though, your cpu is speedy gonzales as long as it can use just the ram to do everything it needs to do.

original idea? never seen it being described better

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002

cpu/ram demystified:

thanks.......

oh and one question keeps bothering me- did I get everything ready in time for family?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #11
    no, you were hit by a car crossing the street :D

Don, I just made it up. :undecide:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    great minds think alike. i thought i was the only one who worshiped winrar :cool:
    I'm in too :)

I mean what kind of prog doesn't let you extract more than one zip at once :irritate: Sure, if they're all part of the same volume it works, but the last time I used Winzip you had to select them in 'explorer' and choose Extract All from the context menu. From the winzip window though I don't believe it was possible :fero:

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #15
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++

I'm in too :)

I mean what kind of prog doesn't let you extract more than one zip at once :irritate: Sure, if they're all part of the same volume it works, but the last time I used Winzip you had to select them in 'explorer' and choose Extract All from the context menu. From the winzip window though I don't believe it was possible :fero:
    It's not about winzip, that's not what windoze has. Their implementation is far worse than that, at least winzip was usable. Do a vanilla install of winxp and see how it handles zip files.

Jan 7, 2004

It's not about winzip, that's not what windoze has. Their implementation is far worse than that, at least winzip was usable. Do a vanilla install of winxp and see how it handles zip files.

i know this one. like a folder right?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #17
    Yeah. And while there is a context menu for unzipping the file, you can't do it in one click, it forces you to follow a wizard. It's annoying the first time, it makes you want to chew your arm of the 5th time.

And there is no quick way to zip files, you have to go in the menus somewhere. Not sure I've even tried that, one of the first things I do on a win install is to put in winrar or winace.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Oh, I remember Windows' way of dealing with zip files, though I've only experienced it about once since I always install Winrar one of the first things on a new box

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)