Forza Collina! (4 Viewers)

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Pierluigi Collina became the first Italian referee to take charge of a French League match and was given a 'knighthood' this week.

The Viareggio-born official was invited to take part in yesterday’s encounter between Lyon and Olympique Marseille.

Lyon won the game 1-0 with Pegguy Luyindula’s 41st-minute goal, but Collina refused to wear a microphone for the live television transmission.

"I am a referee who was designated to direct an important and delicate match," noted the World Cup Final ref, "not a show man who takes off for an overseas live television adventure."

“Collina contacted FIFA to explain that he refused the microphone,” noted Canal+ director of sports programming Karl Olive, “but not as a snub. He simply didn’t speak French.”

It has been an eventful week for Collina. He was voted the World’s best referee for the fifth consecutive year and named a Commendatore (the Italian version of a knighthood) by President of the Repubblica Carlo Azeglio Ciampi.

Football Italia

Buy on AliExpress.com

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
I saw the match and Collina did well except for a harsh yellow card in one incident .. two Marseille defenders accidently bumped into each other while tackling Lyon's Govou and one of them got injured (Lebouef) .. Collina thought that it was Govou's fault so gave thim the yellow card :D

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Lyon-MArseille matches have always caused controversies in the past .. so the FFA opted to go for an outsider (ref) .. who better than Mr. Collina ? :D

mate

Aug 28, 2002
He made a lot of mistakes too, here in Italy, but at least he has a strong personality and (especially) he don't loose his head in important matches or in controversial situations like most of the referees do. 4 me this is his real quality.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Torkel - please DO tell me you're not talking about Markus Merk!
no, not him, i know that his first name is Helmut, that his second name starts with a K and i remember how he looks like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)